Changing a Strat neck

What's Hot
jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 813
edited February 2018 in Making & Modding
I recently picked up a Stratocaster (a Partscaster really) from Andy Preston at WudTone - which is by far the nicest sounding Stratocaster I have ever played. It features his wonderful 'constant pivot' tremolo (which really stays in tune) and 'proper' single coils by Wudtone with A5 / A3 magnets - as opposed to the Kinmans I usually play.  Andy has done a beautiful job with this guitar - and he's a great guy to deal with too, a real gentleman.

The guitar had been pre-assembled - I asked him to send it over so I could get an idea of how his guitars sound prior to placing a custom order. But this one is really special - and I'm keeping it...

Everything except the neck is perfect for me (I prefer a slimmer profile, flatter radius and jumbo frets).

I'm very tempted to pick up a neck from Warmoth - of similar woods etc.  But I'm a bit worried that it might drastically alter the sound of this guitar - should that be the case, I'd be happy to live with the current neck - the guitar really does sound that good...

One option is of course to re-radius the current fingerboard and re-fret it - but it's an awful lot of work.

Expert opinions deeply appreciated...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4180
    Changing the neck would alter the tone, sometimes drastically and sometimes not, it’s one of “those” things iyswim
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14410
    jaymenon said:
    this one is really special - and I'm keeping it.
    This is the smart way to choose guitars.

If the original plan was to place a custom order with Andy Preston, ask whether he thinks he could get the same sounds from a similar guitar with your preferred neck profile by changing other components to compensate. (I suspect not.)

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4915
    I've got a partscaster with a Warmoth neck - it is really good!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72237
    If you want to try it, change the neck. The worst it will do is cost you money and time - you can always put the original one back on.

Never irreversibly alter a guitar you love - changes to the wood, even quite small ones, can drastically alter the resonance. If it’s great now it can only go one way...

It *may* not do, but you only find that out when you can’t go back.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 813
     All good  and thought provoking points, Thanks guys…

I have two telecasters on which I swapped the necks around to see what the effects would be. I was to admit that the tonal effects (unplugged/ acoustically) are very subtle indeed...

Perhaps I’ll try that Warmoth neck after all