Tom Wheeler

What's Hot
richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24797
edited February 2018 in Tributes
Learned today that Tom Wheeler - long time editor of Guitar Player during its heyday and writer of many famous guitar books - has passed away aged 70. 

Not a household name - but someone I’m sure many of us have learned at lot from. He took guitar journalism very seriously and really raised the bar.

RIP.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2423
    Really sorry to hear that. His books and mag articles have been a treasure trove of guitar related info over the years. He'll be missed.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6096
    Sad news. I devoured Guitar Player magazine in my youth and Tom Wheeler's editorial and articles on that mag were excellent. So good that I've still got most of the issues that I purchased back then tucked away in my loft.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14180
    tFB Trader
    just coincident that I was reading the new OP @HarrySeven started regarding Guitarist magazine - At the same time I just got an e-mail update from www.premierguitar.com and noticed Tom Wheeler had recently died

https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/26987-remembering-tom-wheeler?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=PGN - 021318&utm_term=PG Weekly

many will know him for some excellent books he wrote on the guitar history and I recall him as editor for Guitar Player in the 80's

Maybe there was some mystic with the USA mags and market place back then compared to our own mags, but I always looked forward to reading them - I still have shed loads of them and have debated selling them - Yet part says I should re-read some again - Fun finding out about products we never saw over here back then - World is now so much smaller so many such items are now available over here in one guise or another

I know this could/should go in 'tributes' but as it is relevant to the Guitarist magazine OP then thought it should stay amongst the guitar page !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14180
    tFB Trader
    just seen that and posted a similar blog in guitars section about it
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6385
    edited February 2018
    MODS: merged
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72242
    RIP :(.

’The Guitar Book’ was my ‘bible’ as a teenage guitar obsessive, and although some of the information in it is a little dated now it’s still a worthwhile read.

He had a knack of writing in an accessible style without dumbing things down too far.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    Yeah, read a few of his books. Sad loss of a valuable knowledge base there for us all.
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    RIP :(.

’The Guitar Book’ was my ‘bible’ as a teenage guitar obsessive, and although some of the information in it is a little dated now it’s still a worthwhile read.

Same. I bought mine in WHSmiths in London at the same time I spent the money I’d got for doing well in my O-levels on a Vantage Spirit (LP style). Still like picking it up now.