Composition Challenge #21 - A New Year: Time to set new ...

What's Hot

Comments

• stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2177
    edited February 2018
    A quick reminder for the final weekend that the submission deadline for the current Composition Challenge is midnight 28 February 2018.

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • A quick reminder for the final weekend that the submission deadline for the current Composition Challenge is midnight 28 February 2018.

I'm not going to make this one, I started twice on two different ideas and petered out.  Been spending too much time learning dobro and banjo.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    I don't think I'll be getting an entry in this time (the first one I've missed I think?)

You may remember me saying I've been playing guitar less and less over the last year or so, to the extent that my chops were getting really rusty...... and then I get asked to dep for a band! (friends of mine, playing original material) I haven't played a gig for ten years or more so I've been using every spare guitar-playing moment learning to play again, learning a set of 11 original tunes (as the sole guitarist) and generally trying to get 'gig fit'.

So I haven't really had the time to come up with anything for this challenge. I'll still be listening and voting though. 7 entries is a good turnout.
    A real shame. I enjoy listening to your entries .. always very polished. Good luck with band .. sounds cool. I haven't played live for years .. doubt I could do it now.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • I'm not entirely sure I can still do it now. :#
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2073
    I dont have any new take on old song but `i can submit something?

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • spark240 said:
    I dont have any new take on old song but `i can submit something?
    Go for it. The more the merrier.
    It's not a competition.
  • I can't do it! - I can't miss one after all this time.

I've been thinking. My original plan was to rework an old unfinished track from years ago (recorded initially on Cubase VST 3.7) but I've not had time to transfer it from 3.7 to my current cutting-edge Cubase SX. :#

But - I do have a re-mastering of the original backing track with a new* mastering plug-in I have. So the old is the original backing track (part of the instrumentation is samples of an old, long-defunct printer of mine) and the new is the mastering plug-in. Not quite what I had envisioned but it's something. :)

* new, for me, means six year old freeware.
  • ...and entered.

Thankfully I noticed it's a new email address now.
    :bz
  • ...and entered.

Excellent. Entry received.

It's not a competition.
  • frank1985frank1985 Frets: 523
    edited February 2018
    Lookin' forward to listening to everyone's tracks  How many do we have now? 
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2073
    Just sent in....

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • spark240 said:
    Just sent in....

9 entries to date.

The Composition Challenge deadline is tomorrow (midnight 28 February 2018).

It's not a competition.
    And thanks to the latest major Windows update my music system is buggered .. might not make this one.

• A Windows XP machine not connected to the internet does have its advantages, no matter how obsolete. :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    A Windows XP machine not connected to the internet does have its advantages, no matter how obsolete. :)
    Have a wis ...

• Fretwired said:
    And thanks to the latest major Windows update my music system is buggered .. might not make this one.
    That's a pity. What happened. I've always installed the latest updates to Windows 10 and haven't yet had any big issues. Apart from very minor stuff like having to reinstall my audio interface driver and Addictive Drums losing it's licence, which was simple to fix.

It's not a competition.
  • This happened in the last week to someone I know on SoundCloud. A few days of total computer music meltdown following a major Windows update. Then today, it seems to have 'fixed itself'.
    I seem to have fixed most of it - the problem is I have a 250GB solid state drive and have redirected Windows to drive D for my documents and drive E for my music. Along comes the upgrade and all the paths get changed to look at C. Press the Cubase icon and nothing happens and my NI Komplete ended up in demo mode - that was painful to fix.

So I have a small amount of time to get something in .. still at least the task is something you've never heard before.

I've got the bare bones of what I was planning so let's see.

• stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2177
    edited February 2018
    Fretwired said:
    I seem to have fixed most of it - the problem is I have a 250GB solid state drive and have redirected Windows to drive D for my documents and drive E for my music. Along comes the upgrade and all the paths get changed to look at C. Press the Cubase icon and nothing happens and my NI Komplete ended up in demo mode - that was painful to fix.

So I have a small amount of time to get something in .. still at least the task is something you've never heard before.

OK, I'm happy to include it after the deadline (up to the end of the voting process) if you don't mind (potentially) losing a few of the early voters. I always like to hear your entries.

Although it wasn't a Windows issue, I feel your pain because when NI introduced Native Access I had to edit the registry on my PC to deal with the changes, but fortunately a wise man (link below) bailed me out
    https://www.native-instruments.com/forum/threads/vst-versions-not-updating.314736/

It's not a competition.
    Fretwired said:

OK, I'm happy to include it after the deadline (up to the end of the voting process) if you don't mind (potentially) losing a few of the early voters. I always like to hear your entries.

Although it wasn't a Windows issue, I feel your pain because when NI introduced Native Access I had to edit the registry on my PC to deal with the changes, but fortunately a wise man (link below) bailed me out
    https://www.native-instruments.com/forum/threads/vst-versions-not-updating.314736/

Thanks. I think rules are rules so I'll see if I can get something in by the close.