Yamaha transacoustic has blown my mind

What's Hot
ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6090
in Acoustics tFB Trader

So I played one of these today, having had a lovely chat to @rossyamaha he decides to show me this acoustic.... an FG-TA acoustic, part of Yamaha’s transacoustic range. 

https://youtu.be/tlr5u3bt-sw

it genuinely blew my mind, love the tech, but it sounds so good, all the while whilst not being plugged into an amp. Such a clever and useful evolution of the acoustic guitar. 
Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71959
    It sounds horribly artificial in that video - like an APX going through a cheap acoustic amp, especially with the chorus on.

That said I've never liked the L series, every one I've played has sounded thin and characterless, and both of those are no different - even when they're playing together acoustically at about 8'-9' both of them sound cheap and tinny. Just no 'wood' tone in the sound at all.

It does sound better DI'd than the unbelievably shit sound from the other one, but that's about all...

Sorry, I hate it!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Zodiac51Zodiac51 Frets: 340
    edited February 2018
    Have a wow, innovation, interesting, I'd buy one. As a bonus, I'm sure Danish Pete played a tiny bit of Isaac Guillory's Surrendel 

• ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6090
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    It sounds horribly artificial in that video - like an APX going through a cheap acoustic amp, especially with the chorus on.

That said I've never liked the L series, every one I've played has sounded thin and characterless, and both of those are no different - even when they're playing together acoustically at about 8'-9' both of them sound cheap and tinny. Just no 'wood' tone in the sound at all.

It does sound better DI'd than the unbelievably shit sound from the other one, but that's about all...

Sorry, I hate it!
    That’s ok, 

i played it unplugged and that revert and chorus are available to be heard that way. It sounds amazing in the flesh... well I think so anyway.
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • I've seen a few vids and it sounds pretty good, but I'd be concerned that the gadgetry inside the guitar is adding substantial weight to the guitar. I've never played one in the flesh so wouldn't know how it affects the overall feel of the guitar.
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6090
    tFB Trader
    I've seen a few vids and it sounds pretty good, but I'd be concerned that the gadgetry inside the guitar is adding substantial weight to the guitar. I've never played one in the flesh so wouldn't know how it affects the overall feel of the guitar.
    I’m not the best acoustic player, however to me it played well, responded like an acoustic should and wasn’t particularly heavy either..certainly worth a try anyway 
  • I'm not crazy about the L series either - great on paper and nicely made, if a bit blingy, but weirdly unexciting in the sound: probably the 'balanced' thing (people always say they record and mix well) doesn't do it for my ears. 

But the Transacoustics are indeed mind-blowingly fun to play for the sheer witchcraft of having chorus or reverb with no amp. It's true that they're heavier than regular acoustics, but then Yamahas aren't about being lightly built and super-responsive anyway, and getting a well made all-solid guitar that also does crazy tricks like that is pretty amazing at the price they go for.
  • Cheers @ThorpyFX. I know exactly what people mean by the artificial sound. When the FX are maxed it can sound weird. Dial them back a bit and it's just lovely. Really inspiring to play. L series are amazing guitars. The 6's are somewhat flatter sounding but still work well live/ recorded. The all solid 16 is just an awesome all rounder. 

Weight wise, there really is hardly any added by the TA "stuff". Only as much as adding a preamp system to an acoustic guitar. Unless your muscles are super sensitive you wouldn't notice any difference.  

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

• GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    I had an LL16, it was pretty good if I remember rightly. Don't have it any more though so make of that what you will.
  • My friend has one, I am throughly impressed with it, if they did one with delay that's would be the icing on the cake, plus it's a nice guitar in its own right  
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    ICBM said:

Sorry, I hate it!
    Are you in danger of committing the cardinal sin of criticising before actually trying for yourself? ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4126
    ICBM said:

Sorry, I hate it!
    Are you in danger of committing the cardinal sin of criticising before actually trying for yourself? ;)
    Well he’s tried listening to it...I’m not sure one is required to do more in order to criticise the sound of something....
    edited February 2018
    Bridgehouse said:

Are you in danger of committing the cardinal sin of criticising before actually trying for yourself?
    Yes, although it sounds so shockingly bad in that demo that I don't think there is much hope of it sounding good in reality. It does sound like the other L series Yamahas I've actually played too, so I do have a reference. Never before in the field of acoustic guitars has so much nice wood been used in the pursuit of so little character, or something like that .

Anyway... putting chorus on an acoustic guitar is an offence worthy of death before we've even started.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    Bridgehouse said:

Are you in danger of committing the cardinal sin of criticising before actually trying for yourself?
    Yes, although it sounds so shockingly bad in that demo that I don't think there is much hope of it sounding good in reality. It does sound like the other L series Yamahas I've actually played too, so I do have a reference. Never before in the field of acoustic guitars has so much nice wood been used in the pursuit of so little character, or something like that .

Anyway... putting chorus on an acoustic guitar is an offence worthy of death before we've even started.
    You know I was pulling your chain, right? ;)
    Bridgehouse said:

Yes, but I had forgotten to put the chorus comment in earlier and that seemed as good an opportunity as any ;).

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    Bridgehouse said:

Yes, but I had forgotten to put the chorus comment in earlier and that seemed as good an opportunity as any ;).
    Didn’t want you to get away with a perceived forum sin :D
  • ICBM said:
    Bridgehouse said:

This one doesn't sound too bad ; )
    https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=bert+jansch+blues+run+the+game&&view=detail&mid=8F5C778A2075C37F55478F5C778A2075C37F5547&&FORM=VRDGAR
    ICBM said:
    Bridgehouse said:

This one doesn't sound too bad ; )
    https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=bert+jansch+blues+run+the+game&&view=detail&mid=8F5C778A2075C37F55478F5C778A2075C37F5547&&FORM=VRDGAR
    Bert would have made a £50 Argos acoustic sound epic...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Bridgehouse said:

Indeed.

He used to play an FG-180 originally I think. I've always been completely baffled by why those are considered 'vintage' or desirable - to me they just sound like old cheap plywood guitars of no real quality. (And usually with badly pulled-up tops, now.)

ICBM said:
    Bridgehouse said:

Indeed.

He used to play an FG-180 originally I think. I've always been completely baffled by why those are considered 'vintage' or desirable - to me they just sound like old cheap plywood guitars of no real quality. (And usually with badly pulled-up tops, now.)
    His first album (with the seminal Needle of Death) was allegedly a borrowed Martin 00028, and prior to the Yamaha’s he also played an Epiphone and a Guild I believe.

• AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    I want an acoustic again.
    Wow.