Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Digital mixing desks

What's Hot
12346»

Comments

• A couple of tracks from my first attempt at recording with the TF-Rack. All 16 tracks were recorded live into Logic, and I did a quick mix the following day.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    edited February 2018
    Yamaha TF series wasn't out when I was looking.

The TF-1 screen looks better than the QU-16 for starters.  Digital Scribble strips too.
  • I didn't do an extended comparison, but I tried out the remote apps, and we'd done a couple of gigs with some other models - eg. the Qsc and X18.

My impression was that the Yamaha is a more pro-level piece of kit.

I'm considering adding a further 16 channels with the NY-64D expansion card plus a Tio1608-D unit as we use all 16 channels (and that's with just 4 mics on the kit and no brass!).

R.
    Do you find not having the inputs on the front a bit of an issue?  I always thought that was a big advantage of the 'rack' type gear.
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3021
    edited February 2018
    *edit* - sorry misread.

No, the control surface is on the front - it's fine having the inputs on the rear, although I'll probably get a stage box at some stage to cut down on the spaghetti cabling.

What I would have liked Yamaha to provide is a rack-mount control surface and a Dante expansion port(s) and then use it with a separate Tio1608-D stage box or two.

R.
    edited February 2018
    I really like the way the QU SB has them on the front with sloping panel.  You can quickly scan across and see your channels connected.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10357

We brought another QU16 for the band that was using the Mackie DL1608, it cost £1100 second hand on Ebay but was essentially new in the box. Bit of a bargain really. So that's 3 QU-16's and one QU-24 across 4 bands now. 

So far in the 5 years of using them I've not seen a single fault, not a sticky motorized  fader, not a blown backlight on a screen ...nothing of the desks  at all. The build quality is superb

I did repair the matching digital AR2412 stage box though which developed a fault in the SM power supply. There was a rectifier diode on the PCB fitted vertically and the vibration onstage had caused the diode to crack it's solder joint on one leg. Annoyingly I didn't spot this until I had brought another AR2412 SMPS unit from A&H and fitted it .... noting the replacement unit had the diode globbed in mastic so it's a known fault and remedied :) I was able to sell the one I fixed though for 70% of what the new one cost so it wasn't too bad. 

As an electronics engineer I can't recommend anything Behringer ... that doesn't mean I won't use any of their kit I do and some bits like the X32 are well proven and installed in all kinds of places .... Portsmouth Guildhall house desk is an X32 (has had a couple of failures but nothing show stopping ) and there are loads of PA companies using them but over the years I've just seen too many badly built Behringer bits of kit to recommend buying anything for non redundant for pro use ...particularly in the all important area of the SMPSU cos when that fails you basically have a doorstop. They attack the market on price point and they do cut corners to get there. I can't say categorically state every bit of Behringer kit is designed badly though, I've not even seen the inside of an X18. You can buy an X32 SMPSU as a service part and it's only around £180 which is pretty good. I've not seen service parts for the X18 ... but @andyoz experience of a 2 day turnaround to fix one is quite impressive.

As far as the surface \ no surface area goes just remember with no surface your at the mercy of the iPad so having a spare is a good move. 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    edited February 2018
    Was just chatting to a mate who's moving on from the QU-32 to a SQ6.  They look tasty.  I like the big 'go to' knobs on the left hand side of the LCD.  Nice is a dim pub!

he's just had to replace the LCD on his QU-32 which he did himself so good that they are serviceable parts wise.
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3098
    edited February 2018
    I was getting  quite happy with Ipad mixing until friday night when I had the nightmare of wifi dropping out for a past time. This was with me sitting under 6 feet from the router. The venue was an ex church Brick walls which I assume was the problem. Fortunately it wasn't a gig stop as the ipad was just a supplement to the desk.Set up for those interested was Ilive, Ipad and airport express.

Quick two pen orth on the SQ great bit of kit but in real life and in my humble opinion, it just adds a whole bunch of unnecessary stuff to the party which most of us don't need.
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk