Need recommendation for guitar lessons in Central London

What's Hot
CapeloCapelo Frets: 17
Hello everyone!

I’m thinking about taking one-on-one guitar lessons to give my playing a much needed push and was wondering if anyone could recommend an instructor or guitar academy in Central London (the closest to Victoria de better, but happy to commute if needed). Thanks in advance for your recommendations!!

Cheers,

Jose
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I went to ACM which was in Guildford but they've opened a campus in Clapham now I believe. Guitar Institute is another one but I don't know much about it, I think its in Kilburn.

If you're interested in Skype lessons I teach via video lessons this way and can probably get you where you want to be for cheaper than the course fees!
    Not trying to plug myself in any way of course....
  • I went to The Guitar Institute when it was in Acton. This may be a different outfit, it does suit your central criterion: https://www.londonguitarinstitute.co.uk/

"Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CapeloCapelo Frets: 17
    Many thanks for the recommendations!

I have done Skype lessons in the past and worked great, but with two little kids, I would rather have an excuse to scape the daily madness once a week and get a bit of fresh air  :3
  • I went to The Guitar Institute when it was in Acton. This may be a different outfit, it does suit your central criterion: https://www.londonguitarinstitute.co.uk/

Some lofty claims on that website. Anyone who describes themselves as a “master” guitarist immediately makes me suspicious.
    Finally heard back from the London guitar institute. Their fees are quite steep to say the least at £395/month for 4 one-on-one lessons a month. So almost £100/lesson. If it was an actual Maestro teaching (Jamie Humphries Skype lessons are way cheaper) it could make sense. In any case, for someone just looking to have fun playing guitar at home like it is my case paying this much feels totally unjustified. 
  • Jamie used to teach me at ACM, he's a fantastic teacher and we all know about his guitar skills. For what he charges its very fair! Makes me look cheap haha.
  • antifashantifash Frets: 603
    What would you say your standard is? What do you want to improve?
  • Capelo said:
    Finally heard back from the London guitar institute. Their fees are quite steep to say the least at £395/month for 4 one-on-one lessons a month. So almost £100/lesson. If it was an actual Maestro teaching (Jamie Humphries Skype lessons are way cheaper) it could make sense. In any case, for someone just looking to have fun playing guitar at home like it is my case paying this much feels totally unjustified. 
    That’s insane for someone who is not even a big name - I’ve never even heard of him. The website is all sales patter in the vein of loonies like Tom Hess.

I’d pay no more than £30-40 per hour in London. There must be hundreds of great teachers there, I’m surprised you haven’t had any more recommendations.
  • westwest Frets: 994
    I went to The Guitar Institute when it was in Acton. This may be a different outfit, it does suit your central criterion: https://www.londonguitarinstitute.co.uk/

me too , alan limbrick and max milligan were great ! really upped my theory knowledge ....

a mate had some lessons with mike outram  https://www.mikeoutram.com/lessons/  ; great player ! 

• Capelo said:
    That’s insane for someone who is not even a big name - I’ve never even heard of him. The website is all sales patter in the vein of loonies like Tom Hess.

I’d pay no more than £30-40 per hour in London. There must be hundreds of great teachers there, I’m surprised you haven’t had any more recommendations.
    Sounds about right to me. I'm right between £30-40 yet people still complain its "expensive"!
    Many thanks for all the replies. £30-40 per lesson sounds about right to me too. From memory, that’s what Jamie used to charge a couple of years ago, not sure what his rates are these days though. 
  • The last I saw he does 5 lessons for £160 I think via Skype.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16004
    I went to that Guitar Institute 10 years ago .........it was a disorganised shambles ;
    Group lessons where there was a remarkable disparity between student ability /moving at the pace of the lower capability
    Set syllabus that was the most disjointed and non-cohesive arrangement jumping from very easy and quite boring subject matter to matters that should only concern very advanced players of established capability
    The organisation was appalling........I travelled from Hertfordshire twice in the evening to Kilburn only to be met by fellow students from my class coming out the doors..........
    " Oh yeah, man...............we meant to send out a circular to say there's no tutor this week ! "
    " Oh didn't anybody tell you it's a half term week " " Perhaps you weren't listening " .....Is that why all the other 12 students from the class have also turned up or are they all deaf too ?
    Shambles
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    It was quite a different story when I attended the Guitar Institute in Acton in 1989 and I was taught by Shaun Baxter and Alan Limbrick. It was a pretty slick affair and a fun place to learn.

Try this, The Registry of Guitar Tutors - http://www.rgt.org/tutors/

All the best

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Many thanks @Kebabkid I just found a guitar tutor through a friend. In any case good to have the rgt website at hand in case things don’t work out
  • nickpnickp Frets: 182
    dario cortese or luca (gianluca corona).  Or Tolis if he does private lessons (Tolis Zavaliaris.  I've met all three and they are amazing players and great and dedicated "educators".  They teach the teachers :)
    Many thanks for the suggestions. I met Gianluca at ICMP a few years ago and he was great. Will definitely check them out. 
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1054
    This year I graduated with a degree in 'creative music performance' from DIME online. (Detroit institute of music).

If you are into more technical guitar work they do a 4 year part time degree course in partnership with jam track central. The head of guitar is Martin goulding. 

There are pros and cons to learning online. I found it excellent. 

Well worth a look. www.Dime-online.org 

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11495
    tFB Trader
    Kebabkid said:
    It was quite a different story when I attended the Guitar Institute in Acton in 1989 and I was taught by Shaun Baxter and Alan Limbrick. It was a pretty slick affair and a fun place to learn.
    I remember it but it was a bit too highbrow & jazz as the tutors kind of got a bit elitist
    Students wanting to be the next EVH,Vai, Gary Moore, Rhoads, Lynch, Malmsteen etc were disappointed to find that the syllabus would be more Chick Corea

Student: I want to learn blues - 
    GI: we offer Myles Davis and Larry Carlton
    Student: I want to learn rock - 
    GI: we can do some Eric Johnson and maybe some Lukather

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    Kebabkid said:
    I remember it but it was a bit too highbrow & jazz as the tutors kind of got a bit elitist
    Students wanting to be the next EVH,Vai, Gary Moore, Rhoads, Lynch, Malmsteen etc were disappointed to find that the syllabus would be more Chick Corea

Student: I want to learn blues - 
    GI: we offer Myles Davis and Larry Carlton
    Student: I want to learn rock - 
    GI: we can do some Eric Johnson and maybe some Lukather
    I had a series of lessons there, with Alan Limbrick.  No Chick Corea or Larry Carlton, but then it was a beginner/intermediate class.... I quite enjoyed it, apart from the travel.