Recommend me less known bluesy songs with sweet solo?!

What's Hot
Morning All,

I am fairly new to 'lead guitar'; have been playing rhythm guitar for years.
Been trying to learn some easier blues (or easy classic rock) solos...but my knowledge of 'nice/easy' songs is limited.

Actually I quite enjoy Angus' solo in The Jack...simple and tasty !

Could you recommend me any songs/artists  I could learn from / look into (maybe something less obvious than 'Still got the blues' etc..)?

Many thanks,
Chris 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• NeillNeill Frets: 941
    Some of the early Santana stuff is very melodic but quite easy to learn, I'm thinking of eg Samba Pa Ti, Europa, Revelations, I wouldn't suggest trying to master the whole thing but the basic melodies are fairly straightforward.  The difficult bit is getting them absolutely spot on and if it's not stating the bleedin' obvious you do need to record what you play - it's very easy to convince yourself you have nailed something but when you hear it played back it might not sound so convincing.   

I'm no virtuoso but I do know there are two things that will reveal a lead guitarists competence, vibrato and pitch bending. You need a convincing vibrato and you need to be able to bend notes up to the right pitch.  A lot of players I suspect spend time working on speed before they have got these basics right. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • "Need Your Love So Bad" Peter Green & Fleetwood Mac. Relatively simple but the phrasing is tricky and the bends need to be accurate.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • "Need Your Love So Bad" Peter Green & Fleetwood Mac. Relatively simple but the phrasing is tricky and the bends need to be accurate.
    I was just about to suggest "I Loved Another Woman" by Peter Green/Fleetwood Mac....for the same reasons.

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    It's not easy for a beginner, but I absolutely love Robben Ford's song Lateral Climb. Great solo

• I was listening to Prince's Little Red Corvette on the radio last night and the solo made me think of this Discussion. That's a less obvious bluesy solo. 64th best guitar solo of all time according to Guitar Player and not actually played by Prince. 

The source material for the sixties blues boom people was a lot of Albert King and Freddie King. Albert used weird tunings so copying him note for note isn't ideal but something like Cream's Strange Brew is that vibe played in standard tuning. 

Freddie King's instrumentals were covered by Peter Green, Clapton, Stan Webb and others over the years and there's a fair amount of tutorial stuff available. Hideaway, The Stumble and San Ho Say are the obvious ones and you'll find backing tracks easy enough. Freddie had an odd picking style but you don't need to replicate that. The harmonised double stops in the first two are really cool. Like the Peter Green suggestions they break down easily into phrases so it's quite easy to learn a bit at a time. 

I did once learn Boom Bapa Boom by Jimmie Vaughan, the main solo is mostly a series of double stops so it's a cool way to solo without relying on big bends or vibrato. Jimmie's soloing generally is quite simple and melodic and a nice alternative to the kind of sub Gary Moore machismo solos that you get now. 

Maybe Green Onions - great for jamming minor blues but the guitar solo by Steve Cropper is a masterclass on using simple licks imaginatively. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • KiniooKinioo Frets: 19
    "Need Your Love So Bad" Peter Green & Fleetwood Mac. Relatively simple but the phrasing is tricky and the bends need to be accurate.

Aghh bends....tell me more about it !!!!
  • Kinioo said:
    "Need Your Love So Bad" Peter Green & Fleetwood Mac. Relatively simple but the phrasing is tricky and the bends need to be accurate.

Aghh bends....tell me more about it !!!!
    Here you go starts around 1.40 :  

• dhjdhj Frets: 21
    edited December 2017
    Try 'darlin you know I love you'  by BB king. Simple tune but very difficult to sound authentic.
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    edited December 2017
    Can't find a tab (less obvious band issue!) but try this by Songs: Ohia 

I don't think that's all slide on the intro? 

There are some cover efforts on YouTube you can probably work out what he's doing. 

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    pick anything from this album  - Jeff Healey Feel This, but this is prob the nearest to pure blues:

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • Balrog68Balrog68 Frets: 100
    One of my favourite 'simple' solo's is Thin Lizzy's 'dancing in the Moonlight'. Not Blues as such but a nice chord progression and a simple melodic solo.
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    Albert king live I’ll play the blues for you with an incredible solo by Rory Gallagher.