C18 Q1 Finished – MIM Fender Strat Finish Crack Repair

What's Hot
paganskinspaganskins Frets: 276
edited February 2018 in Making & Modding
Only a little project but my progress and results might be useful to others.

As detailed in this thread a 2005 MIM Strat I bought from GAK took a tumble on route (and/or subjected to cold en route) resulting in two finish crack from the neck pocket and the finish lifting on either side of the crack like so:

and so:

I've had the neck off and it is just the finish that's cracked, these poly finishes when knock seem to peel off easily like one of those fancy plastic coated champagne bottle shrink wraps.

The plan is as follows:

• wick some black super glue under the lifted finish
  • drop fill with black superglue
  • level with 400 grit
  • polish out with increasing grades of micro mesh 
  • possibly a little buffing compound if needed

Phase 1 was to widen the cracks so I'd have something to back fill with the black superglue from Tone Tech, I scraped the edges of the cracks with a scalpel until I could get my thumbnail in the crack.

Next job is to wick some of the superglue under the loose bits of finish and stabilise them, our cat's diabetic and I had hoped one of his needles could be repurposed as a glue syringe but unfortunately they're too fine a gauge to pick up the glue so I'm waiting on some 1ml pipettes to be delivered before I can continue.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3044
    Oo this looks interesting! I drop filled a small ding in my natural finish Tele with thin superglue, a drop at a time then levelled with 1k and buffed with T Cut, it worked very well, but the thin glue will run if overdone...

Good luck!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57 said:
    Oo this looks interesting! I drop filled a small ding in my natural finish Tele with thin superglue, a drop at a time then levelled with 1k and buffed with T Cut, it worked very well, but the thin glue will run if overdone...

Good luck!
    Yes exactly the same process but I needed to create a gap to fill. As both cracks are on curved faces I'm expecting to add tiny amounts of glue at a time to avoid runs.
  • paganskinspaganskins Frets: 276
    edited February 2018
    I got disheartened with this when it went a bit awry and I ended with super glue finger prints on the guitar and it generally looked a bit sh!t.

However having taken the time the finish it off (and as thankfully nail varnish remover took the glue marks away) it's looking pretty good now, I need some polishing compound to get it as glossy as the original finish but otherwise job done.

Some progress shots:

I wasn't able to get glue under the loose bits of finish without them breaking away, so finish chip glued back down and crack widened with scalpel ready for filling.

Dropped filled using a cocktail stick loaded with the black superglue.

Scraped back with a burred stanley knife blade scraper, technique explained on frets.com

Same thing on the bass side, looking pretty horrific now!

Sanded with 400 grit wet'n'dry

Partway through the various grades of micro mesh pads

And finished bar final buffing

Though not yet as glossy as the original finish it's completely level and smooth to the touch.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    Are you using the micomesh wet? You should be able to get the original shine back by using it wet up to 12000 grit.
  • That's looking very good.  You could also try Meguiers Ultimate Compound auto polish to get the final shine back. 
  • Gagaryn said:
    Are you using the micomesh wet? You should be able to get the original shine back by using it wet up to 12000 grit.
    Wetish, not soaking – I'll try again wetter  :o

And if that doesn't get me there I'll try:

That's looking very good.  You could also try Meguiers Ultimate Compound auto polish to get the final shine back. 

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 6913
    tFB Trader
    I'd go back though the grades, starting as coarse as you need to remove the scratches.