HELP. Recording, mixing, production-ing, etc.

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Hick81Hick81 Frets: 122
    Could you try and define what you think your recordings are lacking compared to the ones you like? Maybe post a link to what you’ve done previously then it’s easier to pinpoint the issues. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27426
    Hick81 said:
    Could you try and define what you think your recordings are lacking compared to the ones you like? Maybe post a link to what you’ve done previously then it’s easier to pinpoint the issues. 
    @Hick81; my entries in the latest otM challenges didn't sound anything like how I wanted them to sound.  Compared to most of the other entries, mine are abysmal!

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/125783/voting-for-raw-riff-of-the-month-rrotm-33/p1

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/125786/voting-for-bass-riff-of-the-month-brotm-02/p1
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • TTony said:

If I were in your position (and I was, a couple of years back), I'd spend something like this, second-hand:

Audio interface: £100 (probably a Komplete Audio 6 or similar interface with a couple of preamps)
    Active studio monitors: £120 (you might get lucky and pick up a pair of KRKs, or perhaps some passive Tannoys and a 20W T-path amp)
    Dynamic mic: £30-ish (the Superlux PRA-628 from Thomann is great new)
    Condenser mic: £60-ish (SE Electronic SE2000 on eBay)
    Reaper: £35
    EZDrummer 2: £114

The mics are optional, but I found that an understanding of the differences between dynamic and condenser mics is pretty critical to getting a good sound even with modelling. It really is worth sticking mics in front of cabs, even if you're not at massive volumes (the Superlux is great for that, because it's super-cardioid and has excellent background noise rejection).

To begin with, you'll be making tracks that are measurably worse than anything you produced with Garageband. However, you'll be learning, and as long as you pay attention to what you're doing you'll start to realise where GB's limitations are and why this approach is better. 
    @Digitalscream - all built around my old MacBook?  Doubt I'm going to be mic'ing cabs anytime soon though, else I'll need to get into room acoustics and sound insulation ... Yep, all built around any computer you have lying around (from the last decade, at least...). The beauty of Reaper is that it's not tied to any specific OS X version, so there's none of that artificial obsolescence you normally get with such things.

As for mics and cabs...it's much easier than you think. Basically, put a mic (or two, if you're feeling brave...) in front of the cab, and then put a few blankets over the amp and the cab - that'll deaden the sound. Contrary to popular belief, you don't necessarily need to be cranking the amp to make it sound good.

Failing that...run signal from your amp's effects send to your interface, and then use an impulse response loader plugin in the DAW track to simulate a cab. Rosen Digital's Pulse plugin is great for expedience, because it has a default IR that's pretty much a jack-of-all.

I really would recommend using monitors rather than headphones, though.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • IMC1980IMC1980 Frets: 145
    TTony said:
    Hick81 said:
    @Hick81; my entries in the latest otM challenges didn't sound anything like how I wanted them to sound.  Compared to most of the other entries, mine are abysmal!

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/125783/voting-for-raw-riff-of-the-month-rrotm-33/p1

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/125786/voting-for-bass-riff-of-the-month-brotm-02/p1
    I liked the tone of your guitar clip, it is a bit bassy, but you could easily trim that off with high pass filter and maybe a low shelf or notch to tame the low end. Or turn the bass down on your amp sim, either way, with some drums and bass and another guitar playing something complementary, I think it would sit well in a track. 
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1816
    edited February 2018
    @TTony I thought the tone of your ROTM entry was nice. It fitted the riff and that's the most important thing. It's easy to keep chasing an imaginary tone. 

One thing I've been trying to do is listen in short bursts and take breaks. If you listen to the same riff for hours on end making small changes then your perception will adjust and return to what you THINK it sounds like. 

My current approach is to have some cab sims banked and try to learn what preamp settings work best. As @IMC1980 says its easier if the original recorded sound is fine to start with. 
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7763
    edited February 2018
    @TTony Ipads are quite limited in terms of the hardware and software you can use. 

A basic used Windows laptop, Reaper, interface and Audix i5 will be so much more flexible and cheaper in relative terms than ipad friendly hardware. You will also have an easier/faster working environment with a keyboard, screen and mouse for recording, editing and mixing plus loads of free VSTs for effects.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • All you need is:

:)
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27426
    I can use that technology for the listening part @robinbowes, but for the recording, mixing and production-ing parts, some other tools and knowledge are going to be helpful, otherwise the hand will spend more time over the ears.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.