The first Concert I ever went to

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• Tone71Tone71 Frets: 625
    David Bowie - Glass Spider 1987 at Wembley, got pretty close to the stage and said to my mate "hang on I`m going for a piss, back soon" without thinking that the chances of making it back through however many thousand people was impossible, it was.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    quarky said:
    My first was Meat Loaf on the Bat Out of Hell II Tour - October 6th, 1993. Right at the front leaning on the stage (it was supposed to be seated). It was a great show.
    I saw that show that year in Birmingham at the NEC.
    'Paradise by the dashboard light' was Epic and 'She' did the first half of the song dressed in a big, frilly 50's style, innocent looking dress until the 'Argument' section where she wants to know if he'll love her forever and he wants to sleep on it...
    They got a few bars into that bit and then everything stopped for them to have a full-on, improvised domestic couples argument on stage. It was brilliant. All about how she leaves her knickers all over the floor and he never washes up or buys her flowers etc. Must have gone on for about 5 minutes and then from the centre of that massive stage, after being nose to nose arguing they both turn and walk away from each other, one stage left, one stage right.
    As they do she gets to her end of the stage slightly before he does, reaches around to the back of her neck and RIPS this entire dress off (Velcro) in one go to reveal a leather-clad dominatrix. Puts her hands on her hips and just waits for him to turn around when he reaches stage left.
    As he does that he's saying things like "I am so sick of you, I will NEVER look at you again, it's Over!!"

Then he turns to see her and it's just the funniest thing ever, his reactions and how she REALLY vamps it all up.
    The band starts again and the song finishes with real balls.

I'm not the biggest Meat Loaf fan although I do like him and Jim Steinman but that show and that song will stay with me forever.
    Brilliant concert.

God Bless the 90's.
    :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • First gig was Rory Gallagher in '75 at the Liverpool Empire... bloody fantastic. Saw loads of gigs from there, but nothing ever captured the charisma he had with the audience, felt like he was your best mate.

• Hick81Hick81 Frets: 122
    1996, Manic Street Preachers at Donny Dome, supported by The Boo Radleys - who were pelted with bottles for pulling out the acoustic guitars on the 2nd song. I remember making it through the Manics 1st song (Australia) holding onto the barriers for dear life before being kicked in the face by crowd surfers and pushed to the floor. At that point I made a hasty retreat to the back of the room. 

• The Undertones, Judas Priest with Status Quo headlining. A stadium in Dublin in the late 70's. I know that the Quo are a bit of a Butlins type of act now but then, in front of 20,000 bikers and hell's angels and me, they really laid it down. 
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2892
    edited February 2018
    Janes Addiction on the Strays tour at Wolves civic hall. Think I would have been about 14 or something. I thought it was great but reports from others on that tour weren't so good! 
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3305
    Van Halen at The Rainbow Theatre, London (29/06/79)
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72241
    The Undertones, Judas Priest with Status Quo headlining. A stadium in Dublin in the late 70's. I know that the Quo are a bit of a Butlins type of act now but then, in front of 20,000 bikers and hell's angels and me, they really laid it down. 
    Quo were a different band then. I saw them on the recent 'Frantic Four' reunion tour and they were fantastic - really rocking and not remotely Butlins... I've got a download of the gig and it's not very different from the 1977 Live! album.

The sad irony is that Alan Lancaster was the one who looked in poor health - there was a rumour that they may have decided to put their differences aside for his benefit as much as anything - but it's Rick Parfitt who is no longer with us now :(.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• lentolento Frets: 116
    Saw The Beatles way back in November 1963 at the height of their Merseybeat fame.
    They were headlining a typical 'package' tour, which usually meant 4 or 5 other acts who'd had a little or moderate success too.
    The others would play for 10 or 15 minutes while the Fab Four did 25 or 30 mins .....

The Gaumont in Cheltenham (my home town) was the venue and, as you could imagine, non-stop screaming from start to finish ..... But I do remember being impressed by hearing what little I could from their Vox amps and 4 x 10" columns, supplemented by the theatre's.

Ticket price was 12s 6d - or 62.5 pence !
    0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SchmoSchmo Frets: 170
    Ozzy with Randy, plus Budgie supporting at Dundee Caird Hall, 1980. Life changing...
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    I saw Girls Against Boys at the Riverside in Newcastle, probably 1994 or 1995. They had Brainiac supporting, this dude in with big hair and a biker jacket walked onstage to much amusement and heckling. The rest of the band joined him and they launched into some of the most mental noise I'd ever heard. The biker looking bloke was Tim Taylor who sadly died in 1997.

GvsB were amazing too! 

Me and my mate ended up spending all of our money on beer, then hitch hiking back to Blythe in the wee small hours. I'm amazed we got a lift, I certainly wouldn't pick up a couple of pissed up lads in the middle of the night!

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

• ClashmanClashman Frets: 175
    I have a Braniac L.P record I have never played it but might give it a spin no idea why I bought it lol.
    I used to hitchhike from Leeds to Scotland regularly and once got picked up by the side of the road
    on the A9 near Aviemoor, in the early hours of one cold morning I was trying to keep warm in a
    sleeping bag and someone stopped to see if I was alright who felt sorry for me as it was very very
    cold..
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Kebabkid said:
    Van Halen at The Rainbow Theatre, London (29/06/79)
    You win Cos...

Wow, that must have been...(Lost for words) ?