Voting for Solo of the Month (SotM) #33

What's Hot

Welcome to the voting thread for Solo of the Month (SotM) #33

Voting closes on the 28th February 2018 at 11.30 pm.

Feel free to vote and comment in this thread.

Vote for your top 3 entries! If you're an entrant you can't vote for yourself.

1st choice gets 5 points
2nd choice gets 3 points
3rd choice gets 1 point

You can find all the entries the playlist below:

https://soundcloud.com/thefretboard/sets/sotm33-2018-02
It's not a competition.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SteveFSteveF Frets: 536
    5 points - Rowby1 - really nice structure and playing. 
    3 points - Brad - tasty!
    1 point -  FINBAR2004
  • Loads of great solos and a variety of approaches. Although, some similar sounding licks across quite a few of the solos.

I'm going for:

@Rowby1 - 5 points. Another great solo, good lines, phrasing and tone and a killer lick at the end. If you keep this up, I might have to consider introducing a handicap system to give the rest of us a chance :)

I kept going to and fro between the next two, but finally settled on

@FINBAR2004 - 3 points. Nice style, sound and melodies in keeping with the track

@Brad - 1 point. I think I can see where you're coming from with this one which is very clever to play with a riff through different scales. Rhythmically excellent. I love your time and feel but maybe would have liked a bit more melodic variation.

It occurs to me that what appeals to me is the rhythm/groove of the solo as much as the actual notes, which is why I probably ended up going with the above choices.

It's not a competition.
  • I'm using the Bonnamassa Bellamy scoring system for this month. So anyone that used an effects pedal won't get any points and neither will anyone who played a guitar solo instead of using a retro drum machine with some textured guitar lower in the mix... 

On second thoughts I'll give 5 points to @Rowby1 and have about 300 more listens to pick the best two in the subcategory of solos that aren't played by Rowby1
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    1) @FINBAR2004  - 5 points - can almost see the redneck montage on the big screen!...
    2) @Rowby1  - 3 points
    3) @Brad - 1 point
  • BradBrad Frets: 658
    5 points - @markv - Really like the left field approach, reminds me a bit of Blue Orchid by White Stripes.

3 points - @FINBAR2004 - A more obvious type of solo, but really nicely layered and played. Well paced, great tone, time and feel.

1 point - @Rowby1 - Tasty stuff as per usual and a great ending.

• markvmarkv Frets: 459
    It's great to see so many people joining in! I had a difficult time choosing, especially for 2nd and 3rd - some really nice solos, but also quite a few similarities, and, surprisingly for what I know is a group of excellent players, maybe a little hesitancy over some sections? Maybe that D/G thing is catching us out!

Anyway, points:

5 points @sticker - I really enjoyed the sound of this, it has a very 60s feel.
    3 points @FINBAR2004 - the chordal sections stood out as a bit more unusual, and the whole thing flowed nicely.
    1 point @Rowby1 - fluent and tasteful. Hard to fault!

• Nice work all!

5 Points -    @Rowby1

3 Points -  @Modellista ;  

1 Point  -   @FINBAR2004  

Special mention to Markv for wild experimentation, it was close.....

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1258
    Well this one's tricky. Not unsurprisingly quite a few similar solos to choose from. Choosing a top three has been hard enough again but putting them in some sort of ranking is really tricky. I've genuinely spent longer on the voting than on recording my entry! Anyhow, here's my votes and thoughts.

@FINBAR2004 - 5 points. Great lines played well with a lovely tone. Particularly nice trem. Was the trem from the amp a pedal or modelling? Either way, great vibe. The solo perhaps peaks a bit early, maybe the second half should have come first?

@stratman3142 - 3 points. Good tone and some great ideas. Not sure about the SCOM thing though but there's a nice shape to this solo if you know what I mean.

@Bellycaster - 1 point. Great ideas but it feels a bit rushed in places. Tele? Got that Tele bite to my ears. Nice.

Special mentions too @Brad for an interesting exercise with very nice tone. @markv for trying something really different and @bingefeller for really good tone too.

Just one other observation is that one or two of the entries this time perhaps needed to try a bit more compression on their solos, a few quite spikey moments that popped out at me as I listened through. Anyone else noticed that or is it just me? It might just be me being over sensitive after a few hours at the guitar show today.
  • I forgot all about this!    I will have a listen to all the tracks and cast my votes.  

Just soemthing while it's in my head, just before the voting is about to begin, could @stratman3142 tag everyone in the voting thread, who has entered, just as a reminder for them to vote?  

What at do you guys think?
  • Thanks @Rowby1 it was indeed a Tele, I had to get the Tele out for that un :) Recorded through Guitar Rig as usual with the Blackface model.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • I forgot all about this!    I will have a listen to all the tracks and cast my votes.  

Just soemthing while it's in my head, just before the voting is about to begin, could @stratman3142 tag everyone in the voting thread, who has entered, just as a reminder for them to vote?  

What at do you guys think?
    I'll try to remember next time, perhaps when I first post the voting threads. But I can't guarantee to remember, so feel free to tag me with a reminder :)

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 5 points = @Brad great tone!
    3 points = @Rowby1 ;
    1 point= @bellycaster - I was listening with headphones and I could hear the guitars panning from left to right - very nice!
  • stickersticker Frets: 869
    5 points = @Rowby1 ;

3 points = @FINBAR2004 ;

1 point = @Brad ;

very difficult to to choose this month , great playing by all entrants! 
  • Good to see another good crop of entries. Yet again, it's a fag paper's difference between my top 3, which I liked for how effortlessly they flowed with the music. There must be minuscule reasons of taste as to why I put them in this order.

5 Points @Brad ;

3 Points @Rowby1 ;

1 Point @FINBAR2004 Nice first entry there, you should definitely enter regularly :)
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • Voting closes tonight -  28th February 2018 at 11.30 pm.
    It's not a competition.
  • 5 Points -      @Rowby1 ;  Great feel and builds nicely

3 Points -      @sticker      Byrds like solo which I loved

1 Point  -      @Flying Pie  Again, nice feel and lines

Apologies if this appears twice, but I tried the post comment button earlier and all my voting disappeared. 
  • 5 points @Rowby1 Just a great solo that flowed

3 points @sticker    Reminded me of the Byrds 

1  point  @Flying Pie Again a nicely phrased solo

• 5 Points -      @Rowby1 ;  Great feel and builds nicely

3 Points -      @sticker      Byrds like solo which I loved

1 Point  -      @Flying Pie  Again, nice feel and lines

Apologies if this appears twice, but I tried the post comment button earlier and all my voting disappeared. 

• stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2177
    Voting closed. I'll announce the top three entries soon.
    It's not a competition.
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1806
    Sorry. I got distracted by The Beast From The East and forgot to narrow down my second and third place points.