2018 Running Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• rolls1392 said:
    I am making a comeback after a 15yr break.
    I hope to do some canicross with my dog, so runs up to 10know for now.
    First shock of the comeback. No New Balance 854s any more.
    What do I use?
    Hmm. They used to just go up by 1 number per year. You mean there aren't any such thing as 869s?
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • joneve said:
    Nothing yet as I still have the tendon pain on the bottom of my foot. It needs to fuck off so I can start training for half iron man in August :( 
    I had that a few weeks ago, along the outside edge of my foot.  Painkillers didn't really help but it cleared up by itself after about three weeks, and it didn't impair swimming or cycling anyway.
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1763
    edited February 2018
    I'm making a concerted effort to get my running miles up this year after half-heartedly doing some last year. As of last week I'm now aiming for 2x 5ks per week.
    • So far this year: 3 runs, total distance 15miles
    • New 5k PR of 23:43
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • rolls1392 said:
    I am making a comeback after a 15yr break.
    I hope to do some canicross with my dog, so runs up to 10know for now.
    First shock of the comeback. No New Balance 854s any more.
    What do I use?
    Hmm. They used to just go up by 1 number per year. You mean there aren't any such thing as 869s?
    Nearest I can find are 860v8
    Not sure how different they are
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1467
    joneve said:
    Nothing yet as I still have the tendon pain on the bottom of my foot. It needs to fuck off so I can start training for half iron man in August :( 
    I had that a few weeks ago, along the outside edge of my foot.  Painkillers didn't really help but it cleared up by itself after about three weeks, and it didn't impair swimming or cycling anyway.
    Mine is a mild case of plantar fasciitis, caused by tight AF calf muscles. So I've been stretching and foam rolling every day when I remember and it's finally started to ease. 
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3396
    Foam rolling is definitely the way forward - pretty much changed my life!
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
    PC_Dave said:
    Foam rolling is definitely the way forward - pretty much changed my life!
    it's SO painful but seems to have helped no end. 
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    edited February 2018
    Can anyone give me some pointers on knee issues after running please? It's been 8 days now, the symptoms are dull ache, stiff in the morning and sensitive to impact, especially when leg straightened (I'm waling in pigeon  steps). No swelling. I think moving paving slabs in the garden may have been a contributing factor too. It's not a fitness issue per se, I'm a reasonably fit cyclist trying to broaden my horizons. I'm 51, a couple of kg overweight by BMI band but by no means obese. Thanks.

Stepping down steps/curbs is not nice, pulling when I take a shoe off not great either. Yow.

Am I ****ed?

Yeah I think I know the answer.

(Or should I just Google it. Yeah probably ...)

pmbomb said:
    Can anyone give me some pointers on knee issues after running please? It's been 8 days now, the symptoms are dull ache, stiff in the morning and sensitive to impact, especially when leg straightened (I'm waling in pigeon  steps). No swelling. I think moving paving slabs in the garden may have been a contributing factor too. It's not a fitness issue per se, I'm a reasonably fit cyclist trying to broaden my horizons. I'm 51, a couple of kg overweight by BMI band but by no means obese. Thanks.

Stepping down steps/curbs is not nice, pulling when I take a shoe off not great either. Yow.

Am I ****ed?

Yeah I think I know the answer.

(Or should I just Google it. Yeah probably ...)

Have you had your gait analysed so you can be fitted for proper running shoes? 

I had no end of knee pain when I started running years ago, using a cheap pair of £20 asics bog standard trainers. 

£65 and gait analysis later (and nearly 15 years of wearing suitable structured shoes), I've had no knee pain since.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3851
    Don't run in pain @pmbomb would be the first thing. Take @joneve's advice too. Have a look at your running technique in addition.

When I've had knee pain I've followed some simple self-massage techniques (chortle) on YouTube. That with some anti inflammatories and a few days off did the trick for my particular ailment. Depends what exactly is wrong with you though, obviously. Good luck.
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    Thx guys.
  • mcsdanmcsdan Frets: 451
    A few runs this week in the snow. Tuesday was 5 miles off road and felt fine and quite warm! Wednesday 11.6 miles, again off road and bloody freezing!  Some of snow had drifted on the fields and came upto the top of my calf. Felt like doing high-knees running drills. Knackered !

Today I had a speed/tempo run so went in the gym to do that on the treadmill. Can't run speed session safely in the snow!! Back out tomorrow and weekend for some more snow miles. Roads are very icy but off road is no worse than running in mud - just colder. Wednesday's run I had icicles hanging off my legs!

Mileage much better than last year. At this point 2017 I had 156 miles. 2018 I'm currently at 317 miles (510Km) for the same period.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    edited March 2018 tFB Trader
    I thought I'd bump this thread as people are posting in the 2017 one

I'm up to: 279.8k for the year

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rolls1392rolls1392 Frets: 229
    Just started back running after a 15yr break
    Have wobbled along up to a couple of miles.
    Going well and getter better then I tore a calf muscle. Bullocks! 
    Bit of time off. Very frustrating 
    I thought I'd bump this thread as people are posting in the 2017 one

I'm up to: 279.8k for the year

Haha. I hadn't even realised it was the 2017 one! FFS! 

Going to attempt to do a couple of miles this weekend hopefully. 
    Had a good series of run recently.

On 445miles/716Km atm but with a big week in progress so expect another 70-80 miles by end of the week. All going good.
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    I'm really loving the Xero Shoes Ipari Prio, my legs are now overtaking my lungs.

First 5-miler of the year today, just the fairly flat one.
    I'm really loving the Xero Shoes Ipari Prio, my legs are now overtaking my lungs.

I'll have to give them a look. I'm doing most of my runs in Altras which are zero drop but just enough cushion. Great shoes.
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    mcsdan said:

I'll have to give them a look. I'm doing most of my runs in Altras which are zero drop but just enough cushion. Great shoes.
    They really seem to fit my feet well, plus they have a 2mm insole which can be removed as the footbed is nice and smooth. As they are, with socks, I get decent ground feel but stony surfaces don't cause any bruising. Without socks, I get some rubbing on my toes so I'll probably stay with thin socks at least.
    Finished final long runs last week with a 28 mile trail on Saturday and a 20 mile road on Sunday. Took a few days off this week and done a few runs. Very muddy, waterlogged trail this morning and a longer trail planned tomorrow (10-15). In taper so cutting back volume a bit.

=520m/836km.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom