C18Q1 Partscaster Build - FINISHED

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• rexterrexter Frets: 369
    edited February 2018 tFB Trader
    Looks great Neil, very tasteful choice of parts, I heartily approve! I think the white guard is so much more classic than a pearloid one - but it might just work!
    My first build was a Jazzmaster, there were so many bits I kept forgetting for that one...
    Roland's so right about the tape too - it's sneaky stuff - you don't feel it when you're working with it, but an hour later when you look at your fingers they're cut like crazy. Try to avoid the temptation to use your fingers to press the tape down/smooth it out, especially where you have joins.
    Custom colours, vintage restorations, high end guitar finishing
    www.rexterguitars.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • What a cracking looking guitar! excellent job putting it all together. Great work!
  • FlametopFlametop Frets: 52
    edited February 2018
    Thanks Stephen
    No blood @rexter ; and @Roland 
    Cavities shielded this afternoon whilst watching the rugby, with the aid of a cotton bud to do the smoothing.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited February 2018
    Tuners installed this morning.

edited February 2018
    And the nut sanded to fit.

edited February 2018
    Having got to that point, I thought I'd bolt the neck on and start to get the neck and bridge aligned.

Like a twat, I promptly rounded out one of the neck screws. Any suggestions?

• longjawlongjaw Frets: 423
    No idea how to remove it but how did you manage to completely round it out!?!?
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16651
    You are going to have to drill that out now.

if you can at least drill the head off you should be able to separate body and neck and twist it out the rest of the way with pliers
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2377
    junior hacksaw or dremel cutting disc and make as deep a flathead slot as possible and gently unscrew, if you're careful it should come out nicely.  
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2377
    Did you use an electric driver on that? 
    edited February 2018
    Sarge said:
    Did you use an electric driver on that? 
    Yep. Lesson learned. 
    longjaw said:
    No idea how to remove it but how did you manage to completely round it out!?!?
    Cos I am a ham fisted incompetent  I refer the jury to post 1 in this thread. 

Panic over. Found a set of Aldi screw removers buried in the garage that I’d never used and it worked! £5 well spent.  https://whatsgoodtodo.co.uk/aldi-specialbuys-damaged-screw-remover-set-review/
    Now, where can I buy a single neck bolt?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Neck on, bridge on, geometry absolutely square :)

Then, somewhat inconveniently, I actually had to learn some songs before tomorrow so had to stop.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rexterrexter Frets: 369
    tFB Trader
    Nicely done Neil, glad you got that rogue screw out ok!
    Custom colours, vintage restorations, high end guitar finishing
    www.rexterguitars.co.uk
    Trem claw in today. I was hoping to get finished but doesn't look like I will now. Photo is bit wonky but it is a better job than it looks :)

There's probably an easy way of drilling these. Long series drill it or something?
    Remaining jobs (I think):
    Sand the nut down further and glue in.
    Install the pick guard, jack and plate and solder.
    Solder the ground to the trem claw.
    Fit the rear cavity plate.
    String up.
    Set up.

Might be done by next weekend.

edited March 2018
    Had a good run at this yesterday afternoon. Sanded the nut down, finished the soldering, installed the pick guard and cavity covers and jack socket. Then I strung up and plugged in.

Needs a good setup, but WOW! It's very loud acoustically and definitely the Strattyest Strat I've ever played. Positions 2 and 4 quack like mad, the bridge has a lot of treble and the neck is quite warm. I have to set the pickup heights yet so it's not particularly well balanced, but so far its exactly what I was aiming for.

This afternoon will be strings off again, oil the fretboard, and have a bash at setting up and intonation, which will be another first for me.

It looks very classic and classy, so won't be going with a pearlescent pick guard. 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Finished the last couple of bits off this morning. Strap buttons and string trees on. Still needs a bit of setting up but I'm calling this finished cos it's playable :)

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    So Santa didn't bring me anything with single coils at Christmas but...

...I've learned a hell of a lot from this:
    • How to solder.
    • What the innards of a guitar look like.
    • How cut a nut.
    • How to adjust neck relief.
    • How to intonate.
    • How not to remove digits when using sharp implements.
    Massive thanks to Jon @rexter for his patience when answering daft questions, customer service and a fantastic nitro finish.
    Also Ash @TheGuitarWeasel for a beautiful set of master wound Route 66s and a wiring harness. If it quacks like a strat...
    Axecaster also seems to have been a fairly major contributor.

I now seem to spend vast amounts of time looking in the making and modding section rather than the classifieds, which is probably a good thing. Next build will be a thinline tele deluxe in tahiti coral with black hardware and guard and some properly vicious P90s.