Jack socket with longer threaded section

I've found "normal" jack sockets for guitars with 1/4 inch threaded sections, and ones with 3/8 inch threaded sections.

Anyone know if/where I could get one with maybe a 1/2 inch threaded section?

I've got a hollow body guitar that the wood around the jack cracked up quite badly (probably due to the lead being stood on or pulled - before my ownership, I might add). Having a deeper jack would make it much easier to graft in a strengthening patch under the jack.

Cheers!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71956
    edited February 2018
    You're unlikely to find a standard one with that much thread, but you can use an acoustic guitar endpin jack - essentially a barrel jack, but you can't use a standard one of those because you would have to tighten the nut from the inside .

Just fit it with the outer nut close to the end of the thread and leave off the strap button part. Then you can make the internal strengthening patch up to about an inch thick if you want!

Forgot to say... this type, there's more than one.

https://www.allparts.uk.com/products/end-pin-jack-stereo-can-be-tightened-from-outside-the-guitar-switchcraft

The 1/2" diameter bit doesn't go all the way to the outer nut, that bit is the standard 3/8" diameter so it won't look odd on the outside - you just need to make the hole in your strengthening piece 1/2".

And connect the unused ring terminal to ground as well, it improves the reliability.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• Ah, okay. I'd wondered about that, but I hadn't seen any that (obviously) the strap button part was removable.

Thanks!

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71956
    edited February 2018
    No problem .

And after all that I still forgot to say that you can use the jack itself as the clamp to glue the patch on the inside! There's a lot of adjustment range of both the inner and outer nuts so it's not difficult to do.

It's also best to leave off the cover part of the jack - it usually works loose and rattles, and isn't necessary - and the plain washer on the inside, it's better to have the grip washer pressing into the wood.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson