Sequences.

What's Hot
JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1526
Hi, anyone got any comfy sequences for pentatonic /Blues scale runs etc Using alternate picking if possible.  Many Thanks.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    Have you tried working out your own?
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1526
    edited February 2018
    Roland said:
    Yes mate, thats exactly what im doing. Im just not sure on the picking for best outcome. i make some up and cant get any fluidity etc. I tend to get stuck when i get to the  3rd 2nd 1st string when the pattern changes.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    As you’ve found, alternate picking works until you change strings, or change the number of notes per string.

Why not play the patterns, paying attention to how picking direction smooths or emphasises individual notes. Sometimes you want to play a sequence of notes like a sewing machine, and sometimes you don’t. With practice you automatically pick a note in the direction which gives the impact which you want to hear.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • Maybe not what you're after as it's not strict 'alternate picking' but i found this video really helpful!

• bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    edited February 2018
    JAYJO said:
    Roland said:
    Yes mate, thats exactly what im doing. Im just not sure on the picking for best outcome. i make some up and cant get any fluidity etc. I tend to get stuck when i get to the  3rd 2nd 1st string when the pattern changes.
    Can you post a down the strings picture, or video, of how you hold the pick?  Your problem is that you are navigating your lines wrong, you need to work out if your pick is escaping the strings on an upstroke or downstroke.  I can let you know if you post a pic, or video, from the same angle like this.  You have to be in your normal playing position though:

JAYJO said:
    Roland said:
    Can you post a down the strings picture, or video, of how you hold the pick?  Your problem is that you are navigating your lines wrong, you need to work out if your pick is escaping the strings on an upstroke or downstroke.  I can let you know if you post a pic, or video, from the same angle like this.  You have to be in your normal playing position though:

Thanks for your kind offer mate, im unable to post photos though.
    hassleham said:
    Maybe not what you're after as it's not strict 'alternate picking' but i found this video really helpful!

This is really useful. I realise now i dont play enough upstrokes. I almost never start a sequence with an upstroke and i only ever tend to economy pick using down strokes. Ive only been using half of the picking available so this has been a great help Thanks very much.
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3426
    " i only ever tend to economy pick using down strokes"
    No offence but you need to revisit what you know about economy picking. Unless you mean starting a line only on downstrokes? But to do economy picking you definitely need to use upstrokes. I mean, just descending at any point will require an upstroke to change strings.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    yep i tend to start always on a down stroke. I did a bit of trying to sweep pick but gave up as i dont think i will ever use it. Economy picking i think i had a go at 3 note per string but gave that up as well as i found it easier playing the boxes referring to the pentatonic pattern and adding in the notes for the modes. I can do a bit of economy picking but i struggle to use it when improvising etc. just need lost more practice i think
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723

There is no point in trying to practice and working against an inefficient picking technique.  If you can figure out what way you are picking then you can organize your playing to work with it and you will gain fluidity.  Like I said, if you were able to post a picture or video I can advise you about changing strings and how to gain an efficient technique. 

You mentioned that you're getting stuck on the 3rd, 2nd and 1st strings - is your playing ok on the other strings and you have no problems changing strings?  Can you confirm what strings you are referring to when you say 3rd, 2nd and 1st strings?

3rd g 2nd b 1st e.  The problem i was having was playing across the board playing sequences just using the pentatonic shapes. Trying to keep things even. ive since made some progress by rolling my index and ring finger. It was when i moved to shape 2 and 3 i got the problem. I couldnt maintain the same speed. I think i need to practice rolling the index in the other shapes. 
    sequence is  1st shape    a c d e    c d e g  d e g a   e g a c etc   Pentatonic sequence. how would i add for ex b5 to the sequence to play a bluesy sequence keeping the picking even.