NB & AD Cool little thing!

What's Hot
LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
As some of you may have seen recently, I've been on the lookout for a little bass rig for the kids to use at my sessions, and to start doing a bit more bass myself. (I blame @differs ; and @Bridgehouse )

Full scale bass is a bit of a problem for 10-12 year olds so I was looking for short scale. I saw a beaten up one of these in an antiques shop last week, but they wanted ridiculous money for it.

I contacted someone on Facebook who had a Yamaha bass that looked like it would be too big, but was a light beginner bass that would probably do. He also had the Marshall amp pictured. I drove over to his place tonight to do the deal. We had all but agreed when I mentioned my story about the antiques shop headless bass and he laughed, opened a cupboard and pulled this out. He said he was planning to sell it too but hadn't got around to listing it yet. 

Anyway, he said he knew it was for the kids and likes what I do, so he gave me a very good price on it and I knew it had to be. These things are super cool, sound awesome and great fun to play. Awesome price too! Also makes packing the car substantially easier. 

Very happy with both bass and amp and the kids will love it.

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Big thumbs up from me mate! Top purchasing ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6054
    Very nice, cool score. I think they've recently rereleased that style, GAK were advertising them recently anyway. Excellent size and weight for young players. What scale length?
  • JezWynd said:
    Very nice, cool score. I think they've recently rereleased that style, GAK were advertising them recently anyway. Excellent size and weight for young players. What scale length?
    It's full 34" but because of the body size and shape it's much easier to play. Especially like the little pull out thigh rest. 

The previous owner has done a small mod to make using a strap easier as well, with a removable extension arm for the front strap button so the guitar sits on the right place. 

• ...Now how the fuck do you change the strings when it's needed? :D 

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    ...Now how the fuck do you change the strings when it's needed? :D 
    Drop me a PM in 4 years time and I’ll talk you through it mate. 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2339
    tFB Trader
    Surprisingly easy, and very quick if it's the same as the one I had. The the strings are double-ended ballends, so you just slacken the string release the ball from the top end and the bottom end drop in a new string re-tune. Quicker then a normal bass.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    edited March 2018
    GSPBASSES said:
    Surprisingly easy, and very quick if it's the same as the one I had. The the strings are double-ended ballends, so you just slacken the string release the ball from the top end and the bottom end drop in a new string re-tune. Quicker then a normal bass.
    It would appear that there is a readily available clip on mod to enable you to use regular single ball strings as well. No idea if that's worth doing? 

I'm led to believe you bass types don't change your strings like you do your underpants unlike some guitarists so this should not be a regular thing!

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72249
    Double-ball-end bass strings are still easy to get, there's no need to worry about that. Changing them is easier than changing conventional strings, as GSPBasses said.

If you get a decent set of strings and give them a wipe every now and again they will last literally years. The ones on my bass must be at least four and a half years old because I put them on when I got the bass (summer 2013) and they're still absolutely fine, and I use it at least every week at band practice. They weren't even expensive ones! Rotosound Roto Bass.

I agree that this is an excellent choice for a kid - full scale so it will sound good and they'll get used to it, but more manageable than a normal bass.

Those Marshalls are actually solid little amps too, pretty reliable and with enough poke to play with a moderately loud band despite only being 65W.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9592
    I bought a bass a couple of years ago and the strings were past their best. So I took the strings off my old bass and put them on the new(er) one. Still on there.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72249
    I bought a bass a couple of years ago and the strings were past their best. So I took the strings off my old bass and put them on the new(er) one. Still on there.
    I had a set of expensive rolled-wound strings that I moved like that onto three or four basses! Until I made the mistake of putting them on a Gibson EB-2, and then they were too short for anything else...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Thanks for the tips and info peeps. If you need me, I'll be bassinating in my music room!