Triads on top three strings,what fingering?

What's Hot
If I was to play a ska type thing e.g an A chord at the 5th fret but just use the top 3 strings,do I just finger a normal A barre chord or just the top three strings?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• carloscarlos Frets: 3445
    For your example I'd barre the top 3 strings on the 5th fret and perhaps use my ring finger to mute the 4th string.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2749
    Whatever feels more comfortable and sounds right is fine.    You could play around with other ways of playing an A chord and go with whichever you prefer.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 321
    For me, I think it would probably depend on what I was doing next. If I was doing something where I was moving triads up and down the top three strings, I'd definitely not be using any kind of barre. Just using three fingers of my left hand to fret the notes.

On the other hand, if I was sticking largely in one position, I might go with either the barre chord, or pretty much exactly as Carlos suggests, using the ring finger on the 4th string.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Depends on the shape, for E and A shapes first 2 fingers or 1st 3rd and 4th, with one spare for muting.
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3445
    Depending on size of band and instrumentation I'd simplify or make chords more complex. If there's a horn section, piano, the world, then I'm playing three strings max and see myself more like percussion than a guitar.