Holy acoustic archtop tone!

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    AG - that Greenfield is pretty. I'm not so familiar with Bensusan's stuff but seems as though he's playing it no differently from how he plays (acoustic) Lowdens.

On why he doesn't gig it - if you owned a Greenfield would you gig with it????? :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    jellyroll said:
    AG - that Greenfield is pretty. I'm not so familiar with Bensusan's stuff but seems as though he's playing it no differently from how he plays (acoustic) Lowdens.

On why he doesn't gig it - if you owned a Greenfield would you gig with it????? :)
    absolutely, but only as a 'Pro' musician - which I am not - different rules apply (financial).
    I have a friend who's a freelance violinist, does a lot of work. His gigging fiddle is insured for 50k is from the early 19th century, he acquired it 'on expenses', knows all the tricks. As an instrument he says he can do / play anything on it but it's not replaceable like a Lowden or Greenfield.
    Doesnt AMcK tour with one ?, same deal.
  • Here's a good example of an arch top and top player recorded with mic in a studio, a lot of people love this record but I find it a bit flat sounding, I think I might have preferred it through an amp then mic'ed.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    yup BL67, thats the real deal and what one would aspire to - with an F hole - quite perfect aint it.
    For me - I get lost in the music with players of this caliber - the 'sound' is merely a vehicle.
    Here's a good example of an arch top and top player recorded with mic in a studio, a lot of people love this record but I find it a bit flat sounding, I think I might have preferred it through an amp then mic'ed.

Wonderful. Thanks for posting. Love the tone on that. And the playing is quite good too :)
  • Here's a good example of an arch top and top player recorded with mic in a studio, a lot of people love this record but I find it a bit flat sounding, I think I might have preferred it through an amp then mic'ed.

<snip>
    Excellent. I assume he wasn't playing an unplugged ES-175?
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    Here's a good example of an arch top and top player recorded with mic in a studio, a lot of people love this record but I find it a bit flat sounding, I think I might have preferred it through an amp then mic'ed.

<snip>
    Excellent. I assume he wasn't playing an unplugged ES-175?
    according to Lick's it is Joe's 175 acoustically into mic's -
    I believe it was a modified 175 - thinner body 'n maple neck.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ylsned :)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • As far as I know it was a 175, although I have heard tell of a D'aquisto being used on some tracks.

• carloscarlos Frets: 3445
    It's funny you praise that tone on the Joe Pass record. The story of the recording according to jazzguitar.be
    I heard the story from Bill Thrasher back around 1980, a friend of Joe's and the author of the Joe Pass Guitar Styles book. They intended to have two tracks, one of the guitar mic'd and one of the amp mic'd. The engineer screwed up and for all the tunes except Here's That Rainy Day he only recorded the mic on the guitar. Since they had a philosophy of only one take on each tune, they just went with it. That's why the tone is so thin and tinny on that album. Who would only mic a laminated es-175? The playing is great though.
    Here's the track mentioned, with the mix of acoustic and electric tone. Same recording session:

Speaking of good acoustic archtop tone:

edited March 2018
    Interesting. I still like that "tinny" tone on Round MIdnight, though I can understand why it wouldn't appeal to everybody. Undoubtedly helps that its JP playing. 

I find Pizzarelli an enigma - sometimes cool as f@ck (like in the posted vid), othertimes weirdly bland (that Beatles stuff ). His 7 string sounds good though.