Short Scale Bass Recommendations

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• Anyone had the chance to play one the Hofner verythin basses? Look very nice but never see any used to try out
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LysdexiaLysdexia Frets: 2
    First comment here on fretboard

I use short scale basses exclusively these days and currently play a Maruszczyk Elwood 4p 30" with a J East preamp and a Hagstrom HB4 for a humbucking alternative.

Both play beautifully (although the premium quality finish of the Maruszczyk really shines through) and sound every bit as good as I could hope for. The Hagstrom for £250 (used and found on eBay) is ridiculously good value for money 

Importantly (for me at least) neither of the basses are particularly quirky in appearance, and so I've never even had a question about why I'm playing short-scale basses. They just look cool with the Maruszczyk a particularly striking and gorgeous instrument. At least to my eyes.

I'm a photographer, so I've added a few photographs of my Maruszczyk I took late last year to illustrate how it looks

https://www.flickr.com/photos/kentfyne/23695913948/in/dateposted-public/lightbox/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/kentfyne/23695914288/in/dateposted-public/lightbox/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/kentfyne/37500006916/in/dateposted-public/lightbox/

My apologies for not being able to work out how to embed them - any advice on how to do so most welcome!

Cheers.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
  • LysdexiaLysdexia Frets: 2
    crunchman said:

Thanks!

This is my Maruszczyk Elwood 4 with the East pre installed.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • My recommendation after trying out a load of short scale basses in Denmark St. is the Gretsch G2220 Mk II. Easily the best neck - very fast and smooth - plus good quality construction and good pickups. I'd say a Gibson EB-3 sounds better but not by that much, and I prefer the neck on the Gretsch. I'd also take the Gretsch over an Epiphone. I periodically think of upgrading some of the parts but I read stories of replacement pickups being no better or even worse than the ones on there. 

I've never been a Fender fan when it comes to basses, much as I like the Telecaster guitars. Don't like the body shapes and always prefer a 2-a-side headstock to the long Fender one. Don't particularly like the sound either. So I'll pass on all their short scales. 

For something better than my Gretsch I'd be going straight to Mensinger (Cazpar) or Maruszczyk (Elwood SS). I'd love to own one of these and if I was still gigging as often as when I was younger I'd put money towards one. Don't see these basses being outclassed by anything conspicuously better. Seriously nice Bassculture and Domanski pickups. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom