The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• Van_HaydenVan_Hayden Frets: 437
    That's true - and it's more likely than ever to happen especially with Alonso mouthing off about the car..... Fitting punishment, put him against the coolest and most consistent guy in F1. Is it the car now Alonso??
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    It's all hotting up now ... http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/23761323

I bet Alonso is throwing his toys out of the cot ..... Kimi could go to Mercedes to partner Lewis. The head of Mercedes [which foots the bill] has been critical of Rosberg's lack of consistency. Kimi is Mr Consistent which is what you need to win the Constructors Championship which is a Mercedes main board target.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136

Ooh, Kimi to Merc is bit of a longshot Fret! I can't really see that happening, indeed I was shocked about talk that Button would replace Rosberg,  but as always, stranger things have happened in F1.

Mind you, whatever you might think about EJ, one of his annoying habits is being right about driver movements.

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26749
    Kimi won his only title at Ferrari. Massa is not the driver he once was. James Allison has already moved over there. 

It's a done deal as far as I'm concerned.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Virtual bets on Kimi going to Ferrari, anyone? No, I didn't think so!

I'm pretty sure Kimi will go to Ferrari so long as Alonso can be placated. It would give Ferrari the strongest driver line-up and with the right car would make them favourites. I think you'll find Rosberg is an average driver - Hamilton is already starting to get get to grips with the team and the car and is starting to outperform his team mate. The Button to Mercedes link was made elsewhere after the Chairman of Mercedes said he was happy with Hamilton but not pleased with Rosberg's consistency. Jenson is a stable driver who can help develop a car [a weak point of both Hamilton and Rosberg] and he's a consistent points winner. I'm sure it will come to nothing but who knows - Mercedes may have to cover off Kimi if he goes to Ferrari by strengthening their driver line-up. Jenson has worked with Brawn and driven with Hamilton in the past so he's a known quantity.

Red Bull have decided to backtrack on announcing their driver line-up. With Kimi out of the running is Alonso heading to Red Bull?

http://www.planetf1.com/driver/3213/8880879/Red-Bull-backtrack-on-Spa-announcement

Can't see it myself, but it's all a bit odd, isn't it?

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26749
    Kimi apparently drunkenly admitted he's signed for Ferrari. So why his manager is talking to RB I don't know. It's all very odd tbh but hopefully will result in a good shake-up of the grid
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    edited August 2013

Kimi apparently drunkenly admitted he's signed for Ferrari. So why his manager is talking to RB I don't know. It's all very odd tbh but hopefully will result in a good shake-up of the grid
    Kimi's 'off sick' which means he missed today's press conference at Spa [handy that ..]. His manager told the BBC that he is seeking assurances from Lotus [about the financial stability of the team etc] and that if he gets them then Kimi will stay. Ferrari have insisted they haven't signed anyone. Eddie Jordan says Kimi will be unveiled at the Italian Grand Prix as a Ferrari driver. Confused? I am ....

edited August 2013

In that case I wonder if it's all still to play for?

EDIT: I hear Massa's been given "two races to prove his worth".

edited August 2013
    You're not wrong there .. could be something to do with this .... http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/109359

If Kimi's not going to Ferrari then maybe Red Bull are interested in him again. I wouldn't bet against Button joinging Alonso at Ferrari. The management like Button and Alonso has a lot of time for him. He's also said he'd like an opportunity to drive for the prancing horse and McLaren look like they're going the way of Williams.

This is bonkers .... :-)

McLaren will be back, next year will be like the Peogeot period before Merc came on board, I've got a feeling Honda will give them the edge considering Honda's development of what will be the F1 turbo engine in Le Mans prototypes over the last few years. I can see Button liking the Honda link, but lets face it - any driver not scoring wins offered a Ferrari seat would jump at it. Ultimately I think Button will be gone from F1 soon, perhaps before Honda come back.

I'd like to see Di Resta get offered a chance.

It'd be great to see a team that wasn't an Energy Drink company win. You know, one that actually makes cars...I can imagine merc being more happy to loose to Ferrari than a company that sells fizzy pop.

And if like to see Adrian Newey go and design something other than an F1 car for a season or two and let everyone catch up.
    edited August 2013
    McLaren will be back, next year will be like the Peogeot period before Merc came on board, I've got a feeling Honda will give them the edge considering Honda's development of what will be the F1 turbo engine in Le Mans prototypes over the last few years. I can see Button liking the Honda link, but lets face it - any driver not scoring wins offered a Ferrari seat would jump at it. Ultimately I think Button will be gone from F1 soon, perhaps before Honda come back.

I'd like to see Di Resta get offered a chance.

It'd be great to see a team that wasn't an Energy Drink company win. You know, one that actually makes cars...I can imagine merc being more happy to loose to Ferrari than a company that sells fizzy pop.

And if like to see Adrian Newey go and design something other than an F1 car for a season or two and let everyone catch up.
    Honda and McLaren don't get together until 2015. I think they'll struggle next year with Mercedes. Button and Honda don't like each other.

Breaking news: McLaren haven't taken up the option on Button for 2014. Button now rumoured to be going to Ferrari.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Interesting - I thought he was already signed for 2014. Well we'll, good spot.

Although Honda and Button didn't mix that well before, Button & Japan do mix and I suspect he has a face the Japs would like to market. But there would need to be a seat at McLaren-Honda for a Japanese driver I think.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    But there would need to be a seat at McLaren-Honda for a Japanese driver I think.
    I think you're spot on .... :-)

edited August 2013
    Can't help but think Martin Whitmarsh will be on his bike by then too. Although everyone seems to work for Mercedes these days.

edited August 2013
    I wonder if McLaren will make a move for Di Resta if Button moves? I agree about the Whitmarsh comment - I don't think he'll be around for much longer.

edited August 2013
    Blimey! I disappear for a band rehearsal, and it's all happening! Incredible stuff, but the common theme is that Whitmarsh need to be put out to pasture? And just what is on an F1 driver's contract these days? Is it just a blank piece of paper?