Are EVH style raw uncoated necks really uncoated?

Ive just sanded off the poly coating on the back of my telecaster neck. Its now a lovely smooth wood finish and it great to play. I want to leave it unfinished smooth feeling and let it get dirty naturally similar to the way the EVH necks do.

Are the EVH necks really totally unfinished or are they coated in a thin true-oil or similar? Do I need to coat it in something to stop the effects of humidity changes? If so how can I retain as much of the unfinished feel as possible? Cheers.

Karma......
Ebay mark7777_1
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    Gun stock oil was common on Ernie Ball / Musicman instruments.
    Be seeing you.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    Yup, gun stock oil.
    I use this on my guitars too.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6637
    Thanks, Birchwood Casey Tru oil is gunstock oil - I have some of that in my shed. I presume a few very thin coats is what’s needed? Do you lightly sand them afterwards?
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2370
    No, 0000 grade wire wool then buff with a soft cloth to your desired sheen. 
  • Gun stock oil was common on Ernie Ball / Musicman instruments.
    That plus the wax makes for the nicest feeling necks IMO.
  • mrkb said:
    Thanks, Birchwood Casey Tru oil is gunstock oil - I have some of that in my shed. I presume a few very thin coats is what’s needed? Do you lightly sand them afterwards?
    If the neck is already sanded to the wood, just wipe on a coat of the oil, tear off another paper towel, and polish the oil off. Then do the same with the gunstock was, if you’re using it. 

That is how it’s done at the Music Man factory, according to several threads on the EBMM forums. I’ve done a friend’s telecaster that same way, as well as a new Warmoth neck, and they both came out great. 
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16546
    mrkb said:
    If the neck is already sanded to the wood, just wipe on a coat of the oil, tear off another paper towel, and polish the oil off. Then do the same with the gunstock was, if you’re using it. 

That is how it’s done at the Music Man factory, according to several threads on the EBMM forums. I’ve done a friend’s telecaster that same way, as well as a new Warmoth neck, and they both came out great. 
    Yeah, that works fine for the simplest of finishes

but what do you mean by sanded?  To some that’s 240g- ready for finish.

I would go to at least 1000g for a simple wipe on/wipe off finish.    I actually go much higher than that on my oil and wax finishes, but start piling at 600g and work up the grits wetsanding with the oil.

i don’t actually think tru oil is best for the rawer styles, the ones you want to turn a bit grey.  Danish oil will dirty up better

@wezv Its sanded to 600 grit at the moment, not sure Ive got anything between that grade and the 1200 3M pad. I have Danish oil as well, will try that.

@mistercharlie - do you let the oil dry before applying the wax?

Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • mrkb said:

@wezv Its sanded to 600 grit at the moment, not sure Ive got anything between that grade and the 1200 3M pad. I have Danish oil as well, will try that.

@mistercharlie - do you let the oil dry before applying the wax?

At the factory they don’t, apparently. I’ve tried both, and it doesn’t seem to matter either way. 
  • Also, don’t leave it on for too long. If you do, it can dry gummy, and uneven. Check the Ernie Ball forums for more advice, but it boils down to what I posted above. 
    Thanks all, I’ve done two necks using the one thin coat of gun stock oil followed by a gun stock wax method, then let dry. This was after 600 grit sand over a wetted surface (to catch any raised grain) and a small bit of graphite dust to dirty/grey up the grain a bit. They look and feel brilliant! I’m tempted to do this to all my guitars....
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1