Bass Reccommendations

What's Hot
nkanenkane Frets: 1
Hi everyone,

I'm new here and I'm hoping to get some recommendations for a bass for my fiance. He surprised me with a beautiful engagement ring recently and I want to get him a bass guitar. He has been playing most of his life but sold both of his basses to get a deposit together for our house and I want him to have the chance to do what he loves again. 

Basses he has owned:

Suhr Jazz Bass 
Shuker Jazzmaster/Telecaster
Fender Reggie Hamilton Custom Shop 5
Status Series 2 Four Strings

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Natalie

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 27570
    Stingray, obvs.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • nkanenkane Frets: 1
    Which one?
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    Hi Natalie.  Judging by the instruments he's owned before he has good taste (but you know that) and he likes Jazz basses. Fender do a range of Jazz basses from basic made in Mexico versions up to made in USA and Custom Shop versions. You'd be safe getting any one of these, they're all good quality instruments and choice is then dependant on your budget. Mexican models start at approx 800 and USA/Custom shop range from 1400ish to over 2k. You can often find good clean used models for approx 65% or less of new prices on places like eBay and the Fretboard. Good luck in your search.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    nkane said:
    Which one?
    4-string, single humbucker, 2eq, and whatever colour he likes. :)
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    edited March 2018
    Hi Natalie... I'm guessing you might be here and not on the main UK bass forum in case he sees it...? 

Lovely thing to do  

Going to disagree with the above - Music Mans are very much their own thing and if your partner was into them he would possibly already have owned one. Just a bit risky IMO.

He seems to have a definite taste for modern-meets-vintage Fender Jazz Bass-style instruments so you might want to look at Shuker and Fender again, plus Lakland, Sadowski, Sei Jazz, ACG RetroB... all those could be good starting points to check out and see what appeals... I'll add a few more if anything springs to mind!

PS are you sure you don't want to find a way to let him choose for himself, while somehow keeping the specialness of a gift?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7731
    Yeah a 4 string Jazz or P/J style.
    What is the budget? New or used? 
  • Yeah a 4 string Jazz or P/J style.
    What is the budget? New or used? 
    This seems to be the safest bet. 

Depending on budget there are a lot of nice options at all kinds of price points.
  • nkanenkane Frets: 1
    Hi, so you are entirely correct KKJale. I'm not sure how to get him to pick it without picking it though. He will tell me not to spend money on him! 

Been looking at the Fender American Vintage 64 Jazz Bass. Any thoughts?

Thanks for your reply!
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    The AVRI’s are cracking basses - if you like the vintage thing. If he prefers a more modern take on it you could go Sandberg - they are nice too.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7731
    Fenders are reliably good although you can get popular variants like these which are excellent: better value and usually better quality.

https://www.public-peace.de/index.php/bass-guitars/maruszczyk/elwood/4-string

Fenders are reliably good although you can get popular variants like these which are excellent: better value and usually better quality.

https://www.public-peace.de/index.php/bass-guitars/maruszczyk/elwood/4-string

Maruszczyk are excellent.. specially for the money
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    edited March 2018
    You could do a lot worse than getting our very own @Andyjr1515 ;; to build him a dream bass from scratch. 

Here's an example of one of his very fine custom builds, and I'd recommend him without hesitation. It'll likely cost you less than a custom shop but be a better guitar for it. Nothing says I love you like designing and getting a one off built!

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    Has he ever mentioned one in particular?
    If you go past a guitar shop, does he stop and look at a particular one?
  • GuyRGuyR Frets: 1323
    It's a lovely gift you are considering and I'm sure will be very much appreciated. If he has chosen jazz basses previously, it's a safe bet to go with that as they have a particular, narrow, easy to play neck which he likes. I would recommend going to a good bass shop, such as bass gallery in Camden, or whatever similar outlet is nearest to you. Buy something on their recommendation, on approval. Don't be shy of used. If it's not "the one" he can always exchange it and have a most enjoyable and guilt-free time choosing a replacement, which will still remain a very personal gift. 
    KKJale said:
    Going to disagree with the above - Music Mans are very much their own thing and if your partner was into them he would possibly already have owned one. Just a bit risky IMO.

If he's only owned Jazz styles before then he clearly needs a proper bass. Anyone who's gone through that many Js clearly doesn't actually like them.

Time to buy the best bass and be done with it.

Stingray 4, 2EQ. Axiomatically the best bass.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Sporky said:
    KKJale said:

If he's only owned Jazz styles before then he clearly needs a proper bass. Anyone who's gone through that many Js clearly doesn't actually like them.

Time to buy the best bass and be done with it.

Stingray 4, 2EQ. Axiomatically the best bass.
    We have been here before..

It IS the best bass......

....for wannabe 80s pop bassists.
    That's when bass was good.

Stingray + Ampeg = winzor
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    edited March 2018
    nkane said:
    I'm not sure how to get him to pick it without picking it though. He will tell me not to spend money on him! 

Been looking at the Fender American Vintage 64 Jazz Bass. Any thoughts?

They're great, it's a nice traditional choice, I would love one, maybe the blue…

Thing is, whatever you choose, it'll mean an enormous amount to him, and he'll be sure to treasure it. Or you could maybe give him a small bass-signifying gift (card, cake, whatever) but tell him there's a real bass, already out there, waiting (emphasise this to get around the he-doesn't-want-money-spent thing). But it's waiting on the wall of the Bass Centre in Camden, or Bass Direct in Leamington Spa... hard to think of a player who wouldn't love that plan!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • revsorgrevsorg Frets: 874
    This is what I would like - Sandberg 5 string, aged sunburst, one of the pickups is J-style.
  • When you're done @nkane ; could you please have a little word with Mrs Returns? I'm sure she'd benefit from hearing how grateful he was, how buying him exactly what he wanted has rekindled your relationship, and how she should do the same for me. (Hint ...a vintage Gold top with LP P90s) 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom