SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

SOLD Kinkade Clifton

What's Hot
robwrightrobwright Frets: 736
edited February 2018 in Acoustics £
https://i.imgur.com/pBgaHYf.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/avQrNQ1.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/024iWYs.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/3Fd3oXd.jpg

Beautiful guitar! I’ve had it for about 4 years and I love it and it sounds immense!

Sadly I can’t justify having such a quality guitar considering both my financial situation and the lack of play it is getting! 

Jonny K did some work on it just before I bought it so it is on tip top playing condition. It has clearly been looked after as it has very few cosmetic blemishes and certainly no structural faults. 

I dont know much about its build spec and why it has an inlay of a flying pig but I will ask the great man himself. It also has a passive piezo but no onboard preamp (you couldn’t cut a hole in this beautiful body!). 

To have one built now would cost over £2500 so for a nicely opened up acoustic (that’s what they say - don’t know what it means!) that plays like butter (ditto!!!) I would like £1500.

It is in Bristol (near where it was born!) and you are welcome to come and have a strum. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CastroCastro Frets: 510
    I had a Kinkade for 30 years and it was a wonderful guitar. I can recommend Jonny's work.
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    Dig it, have a bump. Interesting that the label reveals this to be one of Simon Kinkead's - he stopped making probably a year or two after this and left brother Johnny to carry the torch.

They're all great guitars. Good luck with the sale!
  • robwrightrobwright Frets: 736
    edited January 2018
    Thanks @KKJale

Bump

Bump

• Is this the one I’ve noodled on previously Rob? If so, great guitar 
  • The very same Alex - it sounded marvellous in your hands! 

edited February 2018
    Bump - open to offers (and would trade for cash!)

• Bump

• Bump

• eddiefrommalverneddiefrommalvern Frets: 6
    edited February 2018
    Hi Rob, I would like this please at the full asking price,

I only joined the forum just now as did a search for "Kinkade guitars for sale" and found an image which led me here. I only yesterday rang Jonny about repairs to a Thornbory 115 I have, and as usual he was stacked out with work, but I will be six stringless while the 115 is being rebuilt, so this is perfect timing!

I am in Malvern Worcs. and can travel today (Wednesday) , but tomorrow I have hospital and the weather looks iffy from mid day Thursday here so I suppose that will determine when I can next travel. I am then free till next Friday when I am in hospital again for an Op which should be a daycase, but may entail a couple of days stay.

I am a 100% reliable and honest 62 year old old fart (sadly) so will be on time, with cash, and will not waste your time. I am not sure what we do now, please get in touch, best regards, Eddie

P.S. Have done a brief intro on new members with more about me if you are interested as obviously zero post people on forums are often treated with suspicion I have found
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • As a complete outsider to this deal, I do hope you two Gents can get this done.

Suspicion? Not a bit of it...one of the best introductory salvo's I've seen in a long time. 

Good luck to you both. 
  • Sold to @eddiefrommalvern - lovely guy and great player! Enjoy the Kinkade mate! 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Hi Rob, was great to meet up, thank you for the great welcome, hospitality, tea and natter ...........Oh yes and guitar!

She now has a set of EJ17's  and a set of Pearce bone pins...Mate if you thought it good before, It really has got the top working (I measured it and it's just 3.2mm but super tight grain), having a blast here comparing it to the Thornbory as that was made 1980/81 so contemporary by two guys that knew each other at the time and met at shows etc. Totally different sound of it's own and the missus loves it....Many thanks again.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    Aw, it’s like “ Married At First Sight” :)
  • Well played Gentlemen. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 2018
    HI Rob, Just as an update / BWI ....Do you remember me commenting on the shiny areas on the top and the back from player contact, Well I just kept looking at her and the finish and then thought "maybe...let's see" so used a cleaner / polish somewhere out of sight, and the cloth turned black!....I have just given it a 15 min going over by hand, Mate it was filthy hence the matt finish, years of pubs or woodburners / whatever but it looks totally different now,don't know if I can upload, or if the photo will show it as very dull here. Other jobs to do/done, shorten the pickup lead so it does not touch inside,and have hoovered out 40 years worth of dust too....Now some may say that's all "Mojo", but I have only cleaned it, not re-finished and I swear it sounds a tad brighter. All the best, Ed

https://www.flickr.com/photos/76351986@N05/26700099948/in/dateposted-public/

edited March 2018
    Looks great Eddie! I assumed it was a matt finish - haha!  Have you tried it plugged in yet? 

edited March 2018
    Hi Rob, yep sounds good through my old Ta40 CR amp which I have had since the 90's.....It plays super fast and low, but maybe a bit too low for my style, For a jazz man or for single note runs and riffs it is like an electric neck, i.e. you can do say a D  chord and wizz the shape up as far as you like with no feel of banging frets and still ringing all the way, same coming down with Blues / Jazz Gm6 sort of shapes when doing endings....my mate said it was the best he had ever played,................And was horrified when I said I might re-fret it!.

They are barely .030" so I get buzzes and overtones when chording unless I really grip, and you know my hand has issues, so I may go to .043 or even more as I am used to....First step will be some Thomastik low tensions to give it a last chance, but I have persevered and tried and if they don't work it's out with the pliers I am afraid!...Still I am really happy though as then it will be awesome and compared to walking into a shop with the same amount of cash and buying something new, well even a pressed wood and plastic Martin is mid £600's thesedays, and although they sound look and play O.K., I can't see anyone queing up to buy one 40 years on!,

Thoughts regarding the price Three people have seen it now one said "HOW MUCH!"...."YOU MUST BE MAD !" and of the other two one compared it to what a new Kinkade would be and said "I would say thats very fair....How often do they pop up".....

And the third was amazed it had been for sale for even a couple of days without being snapped up and (like me) basically thinks along the lines of..........a  new one is now a year or probably more away, if ever depending on the length of the list, people rarely sell them as friends know about them and get the first dibs etc.

And also what is the "right" price...He and I have dithered in the past on various items thinking "Ohhh...That's a few quid too much for one of those" and in his case after not buying an 80's Washburn L.P. he had a hankering for,  but which seemed pricey, he told me he must have spent a fortune on petrol and time and effort over the next 3 years or so looking for another in the same condition / colour and the first one would have been a toatl bargain in comparison after all the farting about he had done!

So my motto is, If you want it and have the funds, just do it...life is painfully short, you never know what's coming, and as a comparison to a Kinkade or similar, well Martin make about 40 guitars AN HOUR! so that also shows the odds of finding one of the just 500 out there .....Anyway, I do tend to waffle on as snowed in, so off to feed the birds, Ed
    Would you do the refret yourself or get Jonny to do it? I would get him to have a look to see what he can do (maybe raise the action with a new saddle?). It sounded so sweet when you played it but I guess a refret won’t change that?