NGD

What's Hot
thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4423
edited March 2018 in Acoustics
Totally spur of the moment. First time out of the house in days due to the snow.

Took a trip to the guitar shop. I had in mind a Taylor GS Mini-e Koa and that was exactly the guitar staring me in the face as I walked up to the acoustic section! It was used and I got £50 off the quoted price. Sounds loud, not as good as the Larrivee but so much easier to carry to weekly acoustic jams in its small case. It's got elixir 13s on it and is a tad buzzy, just a tad. Might try 12s and I read some people like to change the tuners and maybe also the nut & saddle but will see about all that - I probably wont. Felt good, sounded, compact - deal done.

Let me know if you can't see the pic. I just too kit briefly on my phone - so busy...
The top and bottom have a colour tinge, I think it's just the wood.. and some markings on the ebony fingerboard which again is just the wood and give sit some character. Anyway, there you go. Didn't fancy paying the new prices (I was just saying this very day in another thread) so when I saw this exact guitar used staring me in the face I had to have it!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B59lkNr26fmlOXpzMzAwREREenlvOG5pTWFqQ0FEODBWSHdV

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    Looks nice! The streaking and odd colours in the top is just the wood, it's not exactly a "premium top" ;).

If it's a bit buzzy with 13s you probably don't want 12s on it - due to the short scale length, it will play about 'one gauge lighter' than normal, and if you go down a gauge the neck will move backwards (at least without a truss rod adjustment) and it will probably get worse. You may want to put strings that don't sound like Elixirs on it though :D.

Good to see you rediscovering some acoustic guitar love :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4423
    edited March 2018
    I was thinking I like it a tad lighter action, like how I use 9.5s on the suhr I have. But yeah, it'd make it buzzier. 

Actually aiming to do some acoustic stuff as a trio at some point. I did think about a high end acoustic but I think I'm ok with a "travel" guitar and the Larrivee until I become an acoustic legend lol 

I always missed the portability of my little Martin - this should fill that hole!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    I’m loving that. enjoy!
    P.s. it's got the "old" pickup system with the three knobs. I was told that's better than the new one but I wasn't caring too much. Which is better, out of interest?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    P.s. it's got the "old" pickup system with the three knobs. I was told that's better than the new one but I wasn't caring too much. Which is better, out of interest?
    Both have three knobs as far as I know, unless there's a different version in the GS Mini. The old (magnetic-based) ES is the one with reliability problems and an 'electric' tonality when you play on the plain strings around the 10th fret. The new version (piezo-based) is OK for reliability as far as I know, and sounds better - this one has three small black studs just behind the bridge saddle, so you can easily tell if it's this one.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• Nice work, @thomasross20 .

I've played a few of these and have been very impressed. I've gone through the range... spruce top with mahogany, spruce with rosewood, mahogany top, koa top... and the koa has always been my favourite.

Yes there are three black studs and three knobs on the bout of the guitar (the newer one seems to have a big plastic plate on the bout with a tuner on it, too, I think).
  • darcymdarcym Frets: 1297
    these are exceptional value, I think you've made a great purchase. 
    Thanks, guys!
    Koa was my fave..
    I got it for £550. Whether that's too much or not, I'm not too bothered.
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    Nice, fun guitar to have around. 
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7732
    I like mine with elixir 12's, where is yours buzzy? Perhaps the truss rod needs adjusting. Tuners and nut on mine are fine, I've only changed the saddle (better intonation but bone is tonally a bit hard sounding on mine, spruce top) 
    Honestly I'm not sure, I won't have a proper chance to hammer it for weeks, this was a total spur of the moment buy.
    It wasn't on the website so I didn't expect to see that specific one so when I saw it used and it felt and sounded great I thought "this has to be..."
  • darcymdarcym Frets: 1297
    Honestly I'm not sure, I won't have a proper chance to hammer it for weeks, this was a total spur of the moment buy.
    It wasn't on the website so I didn't expect to see that specific one so when I saw it used and it felt and sounded great I thought "this has to be..."

what more reason do you need, you went into a shop, didn't expect to see this, loved it, played it, bought it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Damn right. Lol.
    With the smaller body I notice it cuts into my strumming arm a bit more. 13s are defo a tad heavy... I think I'll go 12s and maybe get the saddle filed down a hair, we will see..
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1211
    Lovely top on that!

Yes there are three black studs and three knobs on the bout of the guitar (the newer one seems to have a big plastic plate on the bout with a tuner on it, too, I think).
    Looks like they've changed the pre-amp and added a tuner on the very latest ones.
    I bought my GS Mini last year, and it's the ES2 system with three knobs around nearer the neck. The latest one still claims to be the ES2 pickup system, but only two knobs with a tuner.
  • Good buy... a bit less spur of the moment if you knew about them anyway.   More like "right place, right time." :)

Happy hammering, whenever that may be.
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5382
    Nice one. Good to hear you're getting back in to things. 
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    edited March 2018
    Looks lovely. The one I had played very cleanly with 13s and the factory set-up. It may be that the truss rod needs loosening a touch. Given the weather we’re having, I’d let it settle for a while before messing with it. Taylor are usually masters at making highly playable acoustics.
  • Looks lovely. The one I had played very cleanly with 13s and the factory set-up. It may be that the truss rod needs loosening a touch. Given the weather we’re having, I’d let it settle for a while before messing with it. Taylor are usually masters at making highly playable acoustics.
    As Richard said... with the snow, the humidity has been very low. That could have affected the guitar (I guess dry air would lower the action at the bridge... as the guitar's natural 'belly' would lessen in dry conditions (assuming it's a solid top)... but I'm sure someone more knowledgeable can give you more / better info)
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7350
    Really like the look and colour - nice one Tigger 
    Red ones are better.