*updated* El Capistan or memory toy (new question last post)

What's Hot
TavernorTavernor Frets: 85
edited March 2018 in FX
hi all, it’s a long a slightly macabre story but selling a load of the girlfriends ex husband (sadly deceased)’s gear who was big into electronic music.

long story short, there are loads of pedals which look like they may available to use rather than sell if I enjoy them.

there is an el Nano toy machine, Stymon el capistan and strymon big sky which all sound interesting (though I haven’t played with them yet). Loads of multi tracks and mixing desks too but recording isn’t really my bag.

any of these ‘stand out good’ that I should snaffle rather than sell?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10337
    Possibly the strymon stuff. You can't lose anything by plugging them in and having a go
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5128
    I'd keep the Strymons- plenty of people here think highly of them. 

I think the "El Nano Memory Toy" is probably an Electro Harmonix Memory Toy- they're only £84 brand new so probably not worth much to sell. Worth trying first, although they don't get as much love as the Strymons.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• TavernorTavernor Frets: 85
    Took the memory toy back to mine and like it, interesting noises so I’ll keep that. The big sky especially seems to be worth a decent wedge, is its value likely to drop in time or is it sort of rare and may increase? Unless I fall madly in love seems worth selling if I can get good money for the other half for it. Of course if holding onto it earns more money in a few years everyone wins..!
    ^^^ I doubt it'll go up in value over time. The Strymon stuff is holding its value reasonably well at the moment, but those big-box Strymons are starting to get a liiiiittle bit long in the tooth, and Line 6's recent stuff is likely to push Strymon to do something new soon. When they do, the old stuff will likely lose value. 

Digital gear can only ever become obsolete over time. You can count on the fingers of one hand the number of "vintage" digital units that have maintained their value.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9448
    I agree with the above post regarding long term value loss...

However, imho, the Line 6 stuff is nowhere near the Strymon verb and delay... like, nowhere near.

The Big Sky is sadly irreplaceable for me at the monent, and believe me, Ive tried !

Try the Strymon and see if you like em :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    If you need the cash, then strymon stuff is a very safe sell. 350 for the Big Sky and 200 for the El Cap would be easy sells I think.
    I agree with the above post regarding long term value loss...

However, imho, the Line 6 stuff is nowhere near the Strymon verb and delay... like, nowhere near.

My point was not so much about specific competitors, more that as the market changes, one day in the not too distant future, Strymon will come out with whatever's next. When they do, demand for the current stuff will diminish, and resale value with it.

• robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3021
    Tavernor said:

Loads of multi tracks and mixing desks too but recording isn’t really my bag.

Any mics?

R.
    I’ll have a look, garage is full of the stuff @robinbowes ; eBay user name is david397 if any of you guys are interested in any of the current crop being sold. @Wazmeister are you interested in the big sky? If I don’t fall in love with it then it’ll probably be up for grabs. 
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9448
    Tavernor said:
    I’ll have a look, garage is full of the stuff @robinbowes ; eBay user name is david397 if any of you guys are interested in any of the current crop being sold. @Wazmeister are you interested in the big sky? If I don’t fall in love with it then it’ll probably be up for grabs. 
    Mate, I’ve got one and owned it for ages !

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11414
    Big Sky is probably the single best pedal ever made.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 2018
    The big sky is absolutely blowing my tiny little mind. I’m a monkey with a machine gun, don’t really understand what’s going on but it’s very exciting regardless.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 2018
    Right, so I’m in love with the big sky! Options now are whether to keep the memory toy or el Capistan if only having one or the other. The el capistan clearly does more, but are a lot of its effects covered by the big sky? If so it’s worth selling, if not I’ll sell the memory toy. Forget about money to an extent... with the big sky and memory toy together, does the el capistan add a lot to the party?
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1813
    I love the El Cap. Often thought about buying another one as well as the Flint. A bit overkill for me at the moment though 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/