Tap Tempo Tremolo

What's Hot
kswilson89kswilson89 Frets: 222
Any suggestions for a tremolo pedal with tap tempo? The Dawner Prince and Diamond offerings seem pretty good. Any others I should be aware of? Is there any drawbacks of using a trem pedal in comparison to tube trem on an amp?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I really like my Rolo Twin Peaks.
    Trading feedback | FS: Nothing right now
    JM build | Pedalboard plans
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4641
    Any suggestions for a tremolo pedal with tap tempo? The Dawner Prince and Diamond offerings seem pretty good. Any others I should be aware of? Is there any drawbacks of using a trem pedal in comparison to tube trem on an amp?
    Not really, I suppose with a bias trem the amp is almost stalling on the trough's of the wave, so the low part of the cycle may be quieter than that of a pedal, which would retain the amp's noise, being that only the input signal is changing amplitude.
    But I doubt this matters much in a live environment.

I have trem on my Princeton but often use the trems from the Helix so I can vary between fast and slow and also I can hit the footswitch easier (I hate the little Fender vintage style footswitches)

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    Empress tremolo 1 or 2.
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Suhr Jack Rabbit
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 597
    simonk said:
    Suhr Jack Rabbit
    +1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Stone Deaf Tremotron. Not cheap but with a load of features if you want them and i think it won quite a few accolades
  • rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2439
    Wampler Latitude is supposed to be awesome.

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

• VJIvesVJIves Frets: 466
    I love my Zvex Sonar very much, but there's also the Johnny Rock Wave Rider which is great.
  • noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 789
    edited March 2018
    Empress tremolo 1 or 2.
    +1.
    The Empress uses a light dependent resistor to generate the effect, similar to the trem circuit in a Deluxe Reverb. I use one of these amps and spent some time comparing the Empress (on ‘tube’ mode) with the amp trem, and found the pedal sounded much better. It does that throbby sound perfectly, with no background noise/ticking, far more range of speed and depth, and is vastly more versatile as it’s also got triangle and square waveforms, various tap subdivisions, rhythm patterns, speed ‘ramping’, memory presets (V2 only I think, correct me if I’m wrong)... pretty much everything is tweakable including choice of true bypass or buffer and amount of preset boost. 

I think the Diamond has a very similar feature set and is similarly powered by an opto ‘bug’ - I just went for the Empress because it was in a January sale but I’m sure would have been equally happy with the diamond.
  • GulliverGulliver Frets: 848
    I would 100% recommend the Empress Tremolo.  When I was searching for a tremolo I was torn between the Empress and the Suhr Jack Rabbit

I went with the Empress because it can be tap-tempo'd while off, which I couldn't figure out how to do on the Suhr.   That said, I can't remember the last time I needed to tap-tempo the trem.  I do also like being about to use it as a boost with the gain all the way up and the depth all the way down.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4641

What about a Strymon Flint and favourite switch?

• Pete24vPete24v Frets: 235
    I have a T Rex pedal with tap trem, it sounds great and works as it should.
  • ragingbenragingben Frets: 106
    I really like my Rolo Twin Peaks.
    That looks awesome. I'm in the market for a trem myself but the jack placement is awful - you can't fit right angled jacks in next to the power supply unless it's going on a pedal train or similar. 
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3419
    VJIves said:
    I love my Zvex Sonar very much, but there's also the Johnny Rock Wave Rider which is great.
    +1 on the Sonar, it’s an amazing pedal. I really love mine.
  • kswilson89kswilson89 Frets: 222
    Empress tremolo 1 or 2.
    +1.
    The Empress uses a light dependent resistor to generate the effect, similar to the trem circuit in a Deluxe Reverb. I use one of these amps and spent some time comparing the Empress (on ‘tube’ mode) with the amp trem, and found the pedal sounded much better. It does that throbby sound perfectly, with no background noise/ticking, far more range of speed and depth, and is vastly more versatile as it’s also got triangle and square waveforms, various tap subdivisions, rhythm patterns, speed ‘ramping’, memory presets (V2 only I think, correct me if I’m wrong)... pretty much everything is tweakable including choice of true bypass or buffer and amount of preset boost. 

I think the Diamond has a very similar feature set and is similarly powered by an opto ‘bug’ - I just went for the Empress because it was in a January sale but I’m sure would have been equally happy with the diamond.
    That's interesting, I always assumed that tube based trem would sound more 'organic' than any pedal based trem . maybe my assumption is way off!
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3755
    Cusack Tap a whirl?
  • noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 789
    edited March 2018
    Empress tremolo 1 or 2.
    +1.

That's interesting, I always assumed that tube based trem would sound more 'organic' than any pedal based trem . maybe my assumption is way off!
    I also had an Electro Harmonix Wiggler pedal for a while, which had TWO tubes sticking out of it... there were some amazing sounds in there but literally everything about it was bloody awkward and infuriating. Huge, noisy, made other pedals switch noisily (and just seemed to hate other pedals generally), enormous non-substitutable power supply...

I digress. I remember trying a Vox AC30 that had a switchable tremolo/vibrato circuit which sounded fantastic.

The Deluxe Reverb trem does sound great once the amp’s turned up a bit (maybe with the power tubes fattening the sound a bit) though you still have to put up with background noise and perceived volume drop. 

I think I’d heard so much about valve amp trems being the holy grail that when I finally got to try a few, most of them didn’t live up to it. Pedal based ones are just getting better and better.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9446
    Ive tried many many trems...

And Ive recently returned to the Diamond. Like all Diamond stuff, it is superbly made and is tuned by someone with ‘good ears’, as it seems perfect as a trem.

Simple to use, with a great tap tempo. It just doesnt seem to get lost in the mix like some do. 

Mine is a custom built model in black, and is lush. My recommendation...
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 895
    I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188
    Another vote for the Diamond. Mine has been the only constant on my board for the last 8 years.

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details