Musicians Hearing Scheme - Professional moulded earplugs worth £170 for £40

What's Hot
colourofsoundcolourofsound Frets: 393
edited March 2018 in Live
https://www.hearformusicians.org.uk/join-now

Want a free hearing test and £170 worth of professional, moulded earplugs for £40? Apply above, share with your musician buddies.

Don't be put off by the application form; music is not my primary income source and I'm not gigging a lot at the moment; but I've still benefitted from this scheme. it will be in their interests to get people involved as it will be government funded, so don't be afraid to fudge your musical credentials a bit!

EDIT: I should add - the earplugs are exceptional. Try and get your ears cleaned before you go for your appointment (the NHS will do it for nothing) because they will need you to have clean ears and will charge £50 for the privilege.

When ask about the earplugs you want, you may be asked whether you sing or play a brass or woodwind instrument. Say that you do; even if you don't. You will be given special filters that help to even out the pressure in your skull that sometimes occur when you block your ears. In comparison with my previous earplugs they are far superior as the sound is untouched. Very clear highs.

EDIT: 2 Link updated
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Panama_Jack666Panama_Jack666 Frets: 2988
    Cheers for the post! I've applied!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • simonbeckwithsimonbeckwith Frets: 215
    Will look in to this later! 
  • BodBod Frets: 1286
    Thanks!  I've tentatively applied.  I earn very little from music, but it's worth a try.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7349
    edited June 2017
    I applied too - they emailed this week to say that the evidence/links I submitted didn't enable them to approve me so they are contacting my reference. 
    Red ones are better. 
  • BodBod Frets: 1286
    I had the same email this week.  I've emailed my mate, I mean my guitar mentor, to warn him.
  • I got approved - boom! Cheers!
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Did anyone else jump on this? I got accepted on to the scheme ages ago but the nearest regular clinic was always Bristol, which is a bit of a trek. They very helpfully organised a clinic in Exeter for last Friday which I attended - I had a hearing test (all good, just a minor amount of noise related hearing damage) and impressions taken. 

It turns out the plugs you get are actually ACS Pros. I already have some Pro 17’s which had started to get uncomfortable as the impressions were taken about 8 years ago. As we’re generally playing at a reduced stage volume these days due to modelling and whatnot I opted for the 10dB filters (I can swap in the 17dB filters if necessary).

The new plugs haven’t arrived yet obviously but I know what I’m getting so can fully recommend the scheme.

https://www.helpmusicians.org.uk/working-retired-musicians/musicians-hearing-health-scheme
  • I have an appointment to go get some on the 27th. Was in the same situation as you and couldn't be arsed with a trek to Manchester. Luckily they have arranged a session in Leeds.

I will report back!
  • I've just been for my appointment.

I was petrified of anything going into my ear. Just cleaning them with olive oil last night was hard enough! They made the process painless though and were really thorough with explaining stuff. 

They also did a hearing test which showed my hearing fell into the 'Normal' range. 

I have been concerned with my hearing of late as I gig quite frequently. I'm only 31 and have tinnitus so was growing more worried thinking about the future. 

To find out my ears are reletively healthy and to have the hearing test has given me peace of mind and was worth the price of admission alone. The plugs themselves are ACS pro's which was mentioned above. I have no experience of them so cannot comment. 

Overall I would encourage anybody regularly gigging to sign up.
  • GulliverGulliver Frets: 848
    Missed this first time round - have applied this morning. I'm mainly a teacher these days so will see what they say!!
    UPDATE:    Approved for the scheme.  Colleague had to write a reference explaining that I am indeed a music teacher - it was a full 3 sentences.   I'm now awaiting an e-mail with an appointment time.   Exciting!
  • Gulliver said:
    UPDATE:    Approved for the scheme.  Colleague had to write a reference explaining that I am indeed a music teacher - it was a full 3 sentences.   I'm now awaiting an e-mail with an appointment time.   Exciting!
    Nice one! Let us know how you get on!
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    The other link seems to not be working but I followed the pages on the site and eventually ended up here..

https://www.hearformusicians.org.uk/
  • Vaiai said:
    The other link seems to not be working but I followed the pages on the site and eventually ended up here..

https://www.hearformusicians.org.uk/
    Cheers - I've updated the OP
    UPDATE THE SECOND!!

Am typing this having just left my appointment. 15minutes for the hearing test and impressions fitting. Colour options included in the scheme - I went for Red!!

weirdest experience with the impressions setting, as I went totally deaf for about 3 minutes... was reassuring that there was no background ringing I’d gotten used to.

approx 3 weeks more to wait for the actual plugs.
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    I applied and was approved for this, as I'm an MU member it was only £30 too! ABSOLUTE bargain, I have some PRO15's but have opted for some red 20's now, just for piece of mind. Hearing A1 apart from current Tinittus due to an ear infection which I'm praying will clear up soon. 
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    Mine arrived today!  Super comfortable fit, noise reduction appears great but will confirm later in the week when I get to use them in anger.

A little over 3 weeks for delivery, but that included a bank holiday - so pretty decent!
  • Panama_Jack666Panama_Jack666 Frets: 2988
    I love mine. Literally the best 40 quid I have ever spent. Would never gig without them now!
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    Colour or transparent? Accessory or deaf aid? What’s the general opinion as I’ve never seen one in person?
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    The transparent ones are very inconspicuous, fit nicely in the ear and not that noticeable at all.

However, I’ve gone for bright red this time...
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)