In Memoriam Jeff Healey, died 2nd March 2008

What's Hot
bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
edited March 2018 in Tributes
Missed this yesterday - the tenth anniversary of Jeff Healey's death.

The second guitarist who inspired me - the first was Stevie Ray Vaughan, in Autumn '88 after I'd been playing acoustic guitar for a year. Heard 'Confidence Man' in soon after and was blown away by the passion and power his playing. The solo at 1:18 is some of  the firiest lead playing over a 12-bar you'll ever hear.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    I remember hearing "see the light" on some obscure radio station when the first album was released and I was blown away! One of the most exciting blues rippers ever. Now it comes to mind, it was an interview with him. I couldn't believe that he was blind and also that he had such an unusual playing style. No YouTube in those days so you couldn't actually see him play. Bought the album and liked it, although I thought StL was far and away the best track. I was less keen on his music as his career went on, but I do think that he was an incredible guitarist. I still love to see videos of him playing StL live, he really goes for it! A fine example of a man who didn't let his 'disability' stop him from achieving greatness.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    Had the pleasure of seeing him in a small club once - he was astonishing. RIP
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Used to cover Confidence Man years ago, great track. Saw him at the Wulfrum in Wolverhampton once, we were right on the barrier dead centre, amazing watching him play close up. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3049
    He was one of the first players who inspired me to take up playing. He was there just at the right time for me. I think I'd heard him before I knew about SRV too. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• springheadspringhead Frets: 1583
    See The Light grabbed my attention when it came out too.  Went to see him in a small venue in London, can't remember where!  He was fantastic.  Saw SRV around the same time too.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26451
    Yep, absolutely stunning player...probably the last blues guitarist I actually liked, and definitely the reason that I view JoBo as a poor substitute.

However...whoever directed the Confidence Man video needs to be first against the wall. I remember the first time I saw it - all I wanted was to see how he was playing like that, and it seems like it was designed specifically to prevent it.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8534
    Yes was into the first album massively when it came out - a great rawness to his playing. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2602
    tFB Trader

Yup.. HUGE fan here too..  LOVED See the Light.. Still listen to it to this day...  He was one of the players I got in to very early in my own playing life and he was up there with Gary Moore and SRV and the rest of them..

A proper muso too.. 

• vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3664
    Like @bigjon, SRV and Jeff Healey were my formative influences. I saw JH at The International in Manchester on the see The Light tour and he was quite astonishing. If anyone wants to hear his sublime touch from sensitive to searing, look no further than the cover of Blue Jean Blues on his debut album. I almost wore through the vinyl on that track.