Anybody gigging or rehearsing with a Zoom G3XN??

What's Hot
Strat_a_tat_tatStrat_a_tat_tat Frets: 2760

If so... how's it working out for you?  Good... bad... wish you'd gone with something different?

Many thanks.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Anybody????

It's lonely here in G3XN land. 

• i used the predecessor the G3 for a couple of years as my gigging pedalboard. liked it a lot,
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • i used the predecessor the G3 for a couple of years as my gigging pedalboard. liked it a lot,

Thanks.  Was it easy to switch patches and make adjustments when you were at a gig.... or did it require scrolling through menus etc.?

Looks like some of the small multi-FX are more suited to home use / recording. I'm hoping that's not the case with the Zoom.

Thanks.

• the way i used it was that i only had 3 or 4 patches, never saw any point in anymore. , you can have up to 6 effects on each patch.   as i only had 3 or 4 patches it was very easy to scroll between them between songs. I did find the effects very good, i only stopped using it when i started using my Katana and the onboard effects.
  • the way i used it was that i only had 3 or 4 patches, never saw any point in anymore. , you can have up to 6 effects on each patch.   as i only had 3 or 4 patches it was very easy to scroll between them between songs. I did find the effects very good, i only stopped using it when i started using my Katana and the onboard effects.

Great. Many thanks for the info.  As you say, even using only 3 or 4 patches (with up to 6 effects in each patch) still gives a lot of possibilities... and should cover a fair few songs.

I use an analogue board with various pedals... so I guess that means I've only got one patch! (Unless I get on my hands and knees between songs... and turn a few dials.  Mind you - that's better than having to scroll through menus!).

Again... thanks for your help.

• as you say, if you only use  3/ 4 patches you can put them so they are consecutive yo each other so scrolling is minimized, plus you can name them ie  clean, heavy, sweet child o mine. hope that makes sense
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • must point out, although a patch can have 6 effects, you can only see 3 at a time without scrolling sideways. ie in a song you can only practically use 3 at a time. i never found this a problem but you should be aware of that
  • Strat_a_tat_tatStrat_a_tat_tat Frets: 2760
    edited March 2018
    must point out, although a patch can have 6 effects, you can only see 3 at a time without scrolling sideways. ie in a song you can only practically use 3 at a time. i never found this a problem but you should be aware of that

Thanks.  Have a 'Wisdom' or four.  ;-)
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    I've got a G3n bought as a Helix backup, reheared with it and it sounded great, but just set up three patches and the ability to switch in and out a delay, nothing fancy
  • beerbeer Frets: 24
    I have one on my board and really like it. It's become surrounded by pedals that do a better job than it though. I still use the amp and cab sounds and it has a nice acoustic sim on it.  
  • beerbeer Frets: 24

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4718
    must point out, although a patch can have 6 effects, you can only see 3 at a time without scrolling sideways. ie in a song you can only practically use 3 at a time. i never found this a problem but you should be aware of that

I thought you could have a chain of 7 fx (9 in the g5n)?
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)

John_A said:
    I've got a G3n bought as a Helix backup, reheared with it and it sounded great, but just set up three patches and the ability to switch in and out a delay, nothing fancy
    @John_A how does it compare tonally to the Helix...is the amp modelling any good?
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Voxman said:

John_A said:
    @John_A how does it compare tonally to the Helix...is the amp modelling any good?
    It sounds great.  I found it didn't feel as good, it's hard to explain, but very good indeed, if you want mine for 60% of new price drop me a pm, have an AMT SS11A that'll do as a backup, and hopefully won't need it anyway (crosses fingers). It's boxed and hardly used
    John_A said:
    Voxman said:

John_A said:
    It sounds great.  I found it didn't feel as good, it's hard to explain, but very good indeed, if you want mine for 60% of new price drop me a pm, have an AMT SS11A that'll do as a backup, and hopefully won't need it anyway (crosses fingers). It's boxed and hardly used
    Appreciate the thought but for now I'll stick with my Tonelabs. I had a Zoom G5 for a while but sold it. Partly it was because the limited switching made it useless for gigging, partly because the menu scrolling drove me mad, and partly because with all its modern modelling and effects I couldn't get it to sound as good as my Tonelabs. 

But the new Zoom units have way better switching functionality and the amp modelling is supposed to be improved...and the G3nx and g5n are more compact and lighter than the Tonelab LE or SE. If I did buy one to try it would have to be one of these though as I need the expression pedal. 
  • Voxman said:

I thought you could have a chain of 7 fx (9 in the g5n)?
    possibly, but i was talking about the G3.
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3044
    Ive just bought a G3n and although early days I'm quite impressed, this is my first ever programmable multi effects and learning to edit etc has been a steep learning curve, I find most of the presets a bit over the top, preferring a bit of subtlety, but they make a good starting point edit...
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll