When does it end?

What's Hot
SnagsSnags Frets: 5326
No, not my Flashback on max delay and feedback. The merry-go-round of FX lust and confusion.

A million years ago I started out with stomp boxes, adding a Boss HM-2 to my dream rig (ahem) of a Kay Strat and a 10w Sound City practice amp, because it just wasn't fizzy enough already ...

Then poverty and a lust for more options than I could actually afford meant multi-fx, bankrupting myself for a Korg G3 and then a ToneWorks AX30G followed by an AX1500G.

At some point snobbery kicked in, and I ditched all of the above for a small number of individual stomp boxes. Years go by and a couple of projects crop up that cause gross mission creep, and I end up with a "in the front" board and an "in the loop" board. All to service a 3-show am-dram performance I was involved with as a volunteer.

Time marches on and I get cheesed off with lugging two boards around, and the floor real estate at church is limited, and there's a panto thing coming up, so I consolidate the whole lot onto one board and introduce a loop switcher.

Now I'm thinking "Most of the time I only really use the tuner, drive, and delay. Maybe I should just have a smaller board instead of carting a 3' Pedaltrain flight case everywhere.  Or perhaps one of those funky new multi-FX so I've got the other options just in case, but it's light and compact".

WTF is wrong with me?  I'm very much an amateur. I mostly play at church, where these days I probably play acoustic 65% of the time with no board. I want to play in other situations, but haven't got the requisite local mates, or the requisite self-confidence to just walk into a band-recruiting scenario.

I'm starting to think I just need to buy everything to cover all bases.

At least if I do I'll be divorced, so I'll have more time to focus on my playing! :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• gearaddictgearaddict Frets: 894
    Ah...yes.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • timbuk02timbuk02 Frets: 271
    It never ends, it just begins again.    And again...    and again...    and again...    and again...
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5326
    Neither of you are helping.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4158
    Have to concur, it never ends, you’ll be looking at a Helix or Axe-Fx 3 etc etc  ;)
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1526
    you just need to buy Everything to cover all the bases.
  • BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2208
    edited March 2018
    Just count yourself lucky you're not a synth player. That looks like whole different level of madness and costliness.

I've had the same board unchanged for about 5 months and I consider that an epic achievement.

I'm not so gloomy as others. It might end. It does for some people. Unfortunately it can cost a lot of money in flipped gear for you to get there, and a lot of the time you can end up buying the same pedals again that you bought you didn't want/need.
    Trying to be slightly more constructive :) ...I think the best thing to do if you want to avoid continuous GAS is stay away from this forum. It's a nightmare. I rarely visit this site without developing some new craving for some other piece of gear.

I think I do have genuine needs for new / different gear (as do you) but it does breed A/B madness which can lead to the merry-go-round of gear flippage. Lots of people seem to have cured themselves by buying a Helix or AX8. Didn't work for me though!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3466
    edited March 2018
    I sound like a broken record, I know, but since getting the Axe FX a year ago, I've not bought anything amp/fx related. It's a GAS killer, with the exception of gassing for actual guitars.

[I say this somewhat hypocritically as I literally sold my Axe FX II a fortnight ago in order to fund an Axe FX III! tut tut]
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    We need a review of the Axe-Fx 3 when it arrives :)
  • Defo mate, it's a tough old wait though tbh!
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited March 2018
    I sound like a broken record, I know, but since getting the Axe FX a year ago, I've not bought anything amp/fx related. It's a GAS killer, with the exception of gassing for actual guitars.

[I say this somewhat hypocritically as I literally sold my Axe FX II a fortnight ago in order to fund an Axe FX III! tut tut]
    You need to approach the guitars with the same minimalist mindset. I get by with only 4 of them  ;)
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Freebird said:

You need to approach the guitars with the same mindset    I get by with only 4 of them.
    I admire your strength f will, alas I am an inveterate Gear Hussy :)
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    edited March 2018
    I ended my pedal obsession by coming to the realisation that the classic designs are classic for a reason, so if I want something now I'll most likely just go for the best, most reliable and affordable version of that. 

I wanted to love the Helix but haven't been hugely bowled over with either Native or the rack version I tried. Still want to have a go on a properly set up one to see if it'll let me ditch the rest of my gear for good.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7731
    I have a big board and a small board. If I was gigging and needed alot of sounds I'd go HX or MS3 with 3 drives. 
    edited March 2018
    Im GAS’ing for a Boss ES-8 EH Ravish Shankar, Looper and asstd EH Synth pedals and maybe a Sustainer for my Klein Replica.  I did look at the Gig Rig setup but there is one major and very annoying flaw in their kit, NO Parallel effects ! The Boss ES does this and I got to like it a lot in my Axe-Fx setup, especially with modulation and delay 
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    .... since getting the Axe FX ... I've not bought anything amp/fx related. It's a GAS killer
    Works for me too
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    Fucksake. Now I want a Fractal. I HATE YOU FRETBOOOAAAAAARD!!!!!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    It’s actually a very good time to get an Axe-Fx, especially with the Fx-3 around. The Mk2 and 2XL still are great bits of kit and now a LOT cheaper
    sweepy said:
    It’s actually a very good time to get an Axe-Fx, especially with the Fx-3 around. The Mk2 and 2XL still are great bits of kit and now a LOT cheaper
    God damn you to hell...TO HELL!!!!!!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_VaderDave_Vader Frets: 358
    I have a big board and a small board.
    Me too, currently building a medium board because....
    I really don't know, but it seems like a good idea

Do I need help?