When does it end?

What's Hot

Comments

• SnagsSnags Frets: 5326
    Ha!  I'm safe you evil tempting bastards. I have no desire for rack kit at all, I'm far too amateur and lazy to justify that.

My delusions of grandeur are much more modest. As it were.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1813
    My bowl d has settled now. Can't see me changing anything for some time now ;)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1211
    Is this not a bit like asking where does the internet end?
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7731
    m_c said:
    Is this not a bit like asking where does the internet end?
    At Tor obv
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2215
    My comments are based on a) I have too many pedals and b) I played electric in a church band from 2006 to 2013. 

IMHO you only need a drive and a delay. I have multples of each so that when I get bored I swap out pedals. I have a small board with a drive and delay and a larger board with overdrives reverb and a Mel9. I also have a compressor and a wah somewhere and a broken phaser. I lent someone a fuzz. 

I tend to buy stuff I really want and keep it. I bought my fuzz in 2000 and rarely use it. One of my overdrives is from 2001. If I'm experimenting I'll buy used and sell or trade it. I traded a load of overdrives and fuzzes. I shifted some Lovetone stuff because they were half trick poneys. IMHO of course. 

I've borrowed a lot of stuff over the years. 

So I have about 4 overdrives 1 fuzz 2 delays and bits and pieces collected since 1997-the first 3 years was buy sell overload. I've calmed down. Last year I bought 3 pedals and that was the first time I bought something since 2007. 

So in summary buy lots of stuff. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4158
    I find it really hard to resist a bargain, hence my recent Caparison purchase and the Cort Super Strat tomorrow,  Recently I was offered a Chender Double Neck for a frankly ridiculous price and I’m having a hard time resisting it, even though I don’t “need” it 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    When you realise that you can't buy your way into being a better player.
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5326
    octatonic said:

Not here. Realised that a long time ago, but still get suckered. Maybe it's genetic. My missus reaches a point with booze where she knows she should stop and does. I reach a point where I realise I should have stopped three drinks ago and it's all a bit late. Yeah, it must be biology, not just idiocy.

• gearaddictgearaddict Frets: 894
    octatonic said:
    Maybe it's not about that. Maybe it's just about enjoying a hobby. Not everyone that fancies a new pedal is deluding themselves into thinking it will make play like EVH. I'm quite content playing nothing but the riff from Enter Sandman. :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • ewalewal Frets: 2558
    I only bought one pedal in the last year and that was because I was given a voucher as a present. My gear lust stopped as soon as I joined a band and was quickly consumed with song writing/ playing duties. When we're writing and working up songs, I just don't care about tone or the nuances of different delays - I don't want any of that to get in the way of the writing process. I will get back to sounds and effects when ready to record and gig, but tbh I think the gear I've got is good enough for the job.

I've concluded that gas was just something to sate my interest when I wasn't actively involved with a band.
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • gearaddictgearaddict Frets: 894
    I'm only in a band so I can justify buying gear.

I don't even like music that much...

...I love pedals...so shiny...
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ragingbenragingben Frets: 106
    edited March 2018
    I feel your pain! But that's half the fun of it I guess. I still own a AX1500G, have done for 18 years or so now, absolutely love the black phaser on it, ridiculous in a good way!
  • ewal said:
    I only bought one pedal in the last year and that was because I was given a voucher as a present. My gear lust stopped as soon as I joined a band and was quickly consumed with song writing/ playing duties. When we're writing and working up songs, I just don't care about tone or the nuances of different delays - I don't want any of that to get in the way of the writing process. I will get back to sounds and effects when ready to record and gig, but tbh I think the gear I've got is good enough for the job.

I've concluded that gas was just something to sate my interest when I wasn't actively involved with a band.
    This ^^ but I still have a DL-4 turning up in the morning... and I’m now gassing for a Hudson Broadcast
  • ... and I’m now gassing for a Hudson Broadcast
    You really need one of those. 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11411

I've slowed down.  My pedalboard is almost identical to a year ago.  I got a Thorpy Peacekeeper for my birthday last year which went on there for a while, but I ended up back with the drives I had before.  Only other change is to remove a pedal.

Not saying it's set in stone, but I have calmed down with buying pedals.

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26451
    It ends when you find an all-in-one unit that does everything you want, and a whole load of stuff which you don't need but which exists purely to sate your curiosity when you fancy something different.

At least, that's my experience. Since I got the Helix, I've not been remotely tempted by anything to do with tone; it's all been "How can I make my rig lighter/more convenient?".
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3347
    Snags said:

A million years ago I started out with stomp boxes, adding a Boss HM-2 to my dream rig (ahem) of a Kay Strat and a 10w Sound City practice amp, because it just wasn't fizzy enough already ...

Ha ha. I had a Marlin Strat and a 30w Sound City Amp.  Paired with an Arion Metal Master it could outfizz pretty much anything.
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1993
    It ends when you find an all-in-one unit that does everything you want, and a whole load of stuff which you don't need but which exists purely to sate your curiosity when you fancy something different.

At least, that's my experience. Since I got the Helix, I've not been remotely tempted by anything to do with tone; it's all been "How can I make my rig lighter/more convenient?".

ah yeah, but then you'll start wondering if a small lunchbox head and pedal train nano board is REALLY what you need because you're simplifying ....
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26451
    sgosden said:

ah yeah, but then you'll start wondering if a small lunchbox head and pedal train nano board is REALLY what you need because you're simplifying ....
    LOL. Already been there, done that - and it really isn't, 'cos it just makes everything more difficult :) Pedal-based workflow just doesn't work for me. When Line 6 put snapshots in the Helix, they basically made the modeller I'd been asking for all these years.

Now I just need a small, lightweight power amp to go with it and I'm done. While I'm waiting for one of those, though, my Rocktron Velocity 120 does the job perfectly well.
    <space for hire>
  • PFAllen2PFAllen2 Frets: 236

Now I just need a small, lightweight power amp to go with it and I'm done. While I'm waiting for one of those, though, my Rocktron Velocity 120 does the job perfectly well.
    I just love the fact that you still have a shopping list, even if there is only one item on it! Agree about the Helix, may I ask what speakers you are using?
    Click here for my Trading Feedback