Which Studio Monitors ?

What's Hot

Comments

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26459
    Expensive studio monitors will be completely wasted if you've got reflections all over the place, so I'd say take some of that budget and use it for room treatment - even if it's just foam squares on the walls to prevent too many reflections. It made a massive difference to my office (roughly 2.7m sq).

Sure, they're not proper bass traps, but I definitely have a much clearer audio image now than I did before.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • colourofsoundcolourofsound Frets: 393
    edited March 2018
    Again, I appreciate all the input folks...

I'll be using them more for playback, rather than critical mixing.

The plan is to implement the iMac and Akai MPC Live into one 'rig'...

The Genelec 8010 are a lovely size, as space is critical, and the forward facing ported KRKs seem to make sense I guess...
    In all honesty, if you're not doing critical listening I would consider a decent hifi amp + passive speakers set up rather than dropping a wedge on studio monitors.

Studio monitors do not sound objectively 'good' as they're designed to be revealing. This is why the KRK Rokits get a hard time; because they have a bit of a smiley face curve and sound like a great hifi rather than a critical listening speaker.

As others have said, if you're in a sub-par room buying studio monitors might be a waste of money, not to mention disappointing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7145
    I have HS7s. Really like them. I too have a small room. 

http://i.imgur.com/8BiWf2E.jpg
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    I have HS7s. Really like them. I too have a small room. 

http://i.imgur.com/8BiWf2E.jpg
    Dman that tidy. I'm looking at my cable spaghetti and feeling very envious
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22096
    Going by the wardrobe situation, I'd forget 7" or 8" speakers. 

Audio on computer --> DAC --> Speakers/monitors --> Room --> Ears

What audio interface are you using? 

I'd echo most of what colourofsounds said. £600 on monitors in a less than optimal room is really not worth it. A decent amp and passive monitors might well be the way forward. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9447
    @GavRichList - lovely mate, and very very tidy (I'm not showing that to the wife...)
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    I bought a set of white HS7s for my helix and I'm very happy with them
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7145
    @GavRichList - lovely mate, and very very tidy (I'm not showing that to the wife...)
    That’s a pretty old pic. The reality is more cluttered I can assure you! 
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3021
    I should also add I currently use a pair of JBL LSR305s at home, which are IMHO better than a lot of amp/passive combinations but still relatively inexpensive.

R.
    Fretwired said:
    Yamaha HS5's or HS7's depending on space or if it's really small IK Multimedia iLoud Monitors. I have a pair of the HS7's and the iLoud's and they are both great.
    Do you rate the clouds then mate ? Size wise, they look ideal...
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited March 2018
    Wazmeister said:
    It depends on the weather 
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2914
    There is a pair of active AE22's up for collection nr Birmingham. These are sealed cabinet design which suits your slightly compromised listening position. Sealed cabinets lose a little bass extension but what is there is better defined. The plus side is better mid range speed and response. AE22's set out to better the NS10 (which you may have heard of) philosophy of not sounding great to listen to but reveal lots in the mid range. With the exception that AE22's actually sound good to listen too as well.....

Just thought I would throw a different option into the mix.

£450 is a good price, they were £800+ when new.

SoS review

I use these for nearfield and move to passive B&W's / QUAD to check translation. Then it's car stereo / kitchen radio etc...
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    Forgot to mention - I use a pair of passive Tannoy Reveal 6 monitors that I picked up second-hand for £80. Along with one of those T-path amps you get for £30 on eBay, they're about as good as it's possible to get in my room; any more, and it'd be a total waste. I've tried a mate's Genelecs in here, and they really don't sound appreciably different - certainly no difference in detail - so I remain convinced that with the room as the limiting factor, you're better off saving your money.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Fretwired said:
    Yamaha HS5's or HS7's depending on space or if it's really small IK Multimedia iLoud Monitors. I have a pair of the HS7's and the iLoud's and they are both great.
    I guess you could do but they're a faff to fit in your ceiling and I'd say not good for monitoring. Your call though mate!

http://www.cloud.co.uk/products/detail.php?id=77

;-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Forgot to mention - I use a pair of passive Tannoy Reveal 6 monitors that I picked up second-hand for £80. Along with one of those T-path amps you get for £30 on eBay, they're about as good as it's possible to get in my room; any more, and it'd be a total waste. I've tried a mate's Genelecs in here, and they really don't sound appreciably different - certainly no difference in detail - so I remain convinced that with the room as the limiting factor, you're better off saving your money.
    I also subscribe to the room thing. I feel like £600 is a lot to spend if the room won’t be ideal.

But for pure enjoyment a decent 6” set of monitors is a good shout for most home rooms, and not too physically huge (8”s are big!).

Brands/models do have their own identity but unless you have very strong feelings about certain things then it’s probably not worth getting too bogged down in the specifics to start off with. Up to you of course.

I’ve got a mix of commercial and home made trapping in my room and it makes a gigantic difference. It’s literally the difference between not hearing, and hearing certain frequencies in the low end anyway. 
    Ok, so I’ve abandoned the ‘in the cupboard hole’ idea...

Having had a look at my guitar wall, maybe I could use some on stands close to the wall ?

If they're going to be close to the wall, get front-ported speakers and put some foam tiles on the wall behind the speakers, should minimise bass reflections (based on my experience, not science).
    <space for hire>
  • Ok, so I’ve abandoned the ‘in the cupboard hole’ idea...

Having had a look at my guitar wall, maybe I could use some on stands close to the wall ?

Yeah close to the wall is a nightmare without foam tiles - and it's still not ideal. But that would be much better.
  • I’m going to be the bearer of bad news and suggest foam tiles do very little for bass. At least the typical 2” thickness foam tiles don’t do much.

They will affect mids and highs, but low end requires thicker treatment. I don’t have any acoustic panels thinner than 4” in my room, most are 6”, and I have thicker in corners. Even then I still have bass issues. 

Most home rooms, especially brick built rooms, are going to have bass issues. But some DIY bass trapping will help if you have space for it. Or if you have the money, talk to GIK.
    I’m going to be the bearer of bad news and suggest foam tiles do very little for bass. At least the typical 2” thickness foam tiles don’t do much.
    It does very little, but in small rooms it can be just enough to cross over from "unmanageable" to "just about usable". It certainly was in mine :)
    <space for hire>