How do we feel about reliced acoustics?

What's Hot
Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3419
edited March 2018 in Acoustics
I’ve been searching for a used Bourgeois and found one that’s attractively priced largely, I think, due to the fact it has some minor battle scars, nicks and dents in the finish here and there, some dings in the neck and back if the headstock and so forth. 

If this was an electric, I’d not be bothered but somehow on acoustics I much prefer them shiny and new.

It made me wonder what the general playing / buying market makes of natural wear on an acoustic, and how much of an affect it has on resale.

How do you like your acoustics?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I've been known to give mine a tap or two for a percussive thing - nothing major but yeah, it shows. I don't care lol.
  • brojanglesbrojangles Frets: 362
    I don't mind some dings and marks if natural and non-structural. All the better if they mean you get a better price. Don't like factory relic'ing though (except in the case of the Eastman E10SS/v where I would probably put up with it).
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14321
    I don't like factory relic'ing.
    For rapid, natural wear, rent yo' geetar to Tommy Emmanuel.

Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3426
    I'll take your Tommy and raise you a Willie Nelson

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    or let Willie Nelson gig it for a decade or two ...
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • Guitar_SlingerGuitar_Slinger Frets: 1489
    edited March 2018
    A couple of years ago I bought a ten year-old Martin 000M from fleaBbay, with a satin finish. I deliberately don't cover my arms when playing it, as I want there to be natural wear on the top.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Glen Hansard has one that really freaks me out. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    Interesting question. I love good looking electrics with wear, either natural or well done. I wouldn't object to real wear on an acoustic, although I'd expect to pay less for it. I wouldn't entertain the notion of artificial wear on an acoustic though, well ... I don't think so??
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4126
    edited March 2018
    I think natural wear and tear on an acoustic can be a thing of beauty. It can go the other way though....e.g. when I see big sweeping arcs of wear diagonally across the soundhole, I tend to just think "oh that person can't really play..."
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15475
    A couple of years ago I bought a ten year-old Martin 000M from fleaBbay, with a satin finish. I deliberately don't cover my arms when playing it, as I want there to be natural wear on the top.
    how are your arms now?

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• Guitar_SlingerGuitar_Slinger Frets: 1489
    edited March 2018
    Fucking freezing! :)
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    I’ve been playing my D28 today - it sounds wonderful. There are obvious signs of playing wear, the odd ding and the top is a lovely amber shade - compared to the stark, pale shade it was when new. All of these things are to be expected - I’ve been playing it for 25 years. I think it looks great - it’s been played - but not abused.
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3419
    edited March 2018
    Here’s what I’m looking at:

https://i.imgur.com/BVYXyAs.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/VkxVIG0.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/fUzf0mm.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/79OGFZf.jpg

Not hugely worn worn but a fair amount of dinks, chips and general wear. 
  • jackorionjackorion Frets: 27
    I don't have a problem with it, but I've noticed that on 'boutique' brands - Collings, Bourgeois, Santa Cruz, Lowden etc - that dings have a much bigger impact on resale value than on guitars like Martins & Gibsons.

Also Taylor guys don't like damage much...

As for 'relic-d' acoustics (as in pre-worn) I'm on the fence - I have a relic strat so I'm okay with the concept on electrics, but something about it for an acoustic sits a little funny with me... 
  • It's all fashion, innit!  (IMHO)

All we need is [your favourite artiste] at Glastonbury with a reliced acoustic and the whole world will be after one.

Who's been to Ain't Nothin But... in London?  I remember they had beaten up old acoustics on the ceiling and thinking that looked cool, so I bought a filthy old parlour from a charity shop for the wall at home.

Turns out that once @Bowks cleaned it up, it played OK and I still play it.

• prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    carlos said:
    I'll take your Tommy and raise you a Willie Nelson

I'll take your Wilie Nelson and raise you a Kasabian.

• @Moe_Zambeek what planet are you on? That looks perfect to me and if the price is right snap the sellers arm off. 

Thing about new acoustics more than electrics is your scared of marking them then once you have you can get on dig in and enjoy them far more, it is a mental barrier.

When I had my Fylde built I asked Roger to mildly relic it so I could enjoy it straight out of the box, won’t tell you what his reply was but had to hold the phone a foot away from my ear! We did however reach a compromise
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3419
    @maltingsaudio  it does look good in general but I’ve learned to zoom in on seller pics :) it’s not bad but it’s definitely got a few battle scars :)
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    Whacked my newish Guild on the corner of a hifi speaker last night. Dent in the finish on the back. Was pissed off for minute but it passed, now I don't need to worry about future dings - the only one that matters is the first.