Get in, that's more like it, though it'll probably still have too much fuzz
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26753
    @Thorpy Gunshot nestled in the middle of that pedalboard, I note... :D 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12645
    He is a legend. A hero of mine. Its great that there is more of him than Dan and Mick - although I'd like to have had better close ups of the finger positions for some of those chords!

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6090
    tFB Trader
    @Thorpy Gunshot nestled in the middle of that pedalboard, I note... :D 
    Made me very happy indeed, he has some others on his other board too! 
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • One of my guitar heroes. 
  • Best TPS by a country mile.  
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5112
    Loved that one!  :)
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    I’m not entirely convinced Mick Taylor knew exactly what was going on half the time but very interesting ( and I don’t have a particular interest in Blur and Coxon). Didn’t learn a lot about pedals but some interesting stuff about his approaches. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7732
    Quite enjoyable that, likeable bloke too
  • dariusdarius Frets: 619
    He is just so Nigel Tufnel. 
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2296
    That’s my type of guitar playing. Total dude.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    Always thought of him as a really interesting player - the Johnny Marr of Britpop in a way. Much as I liked that episode of TPS, I got the impression that Mick & Dan might be planning a pot holing expedition up him. Obsequious doesn’t quite cover it.... 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dariusdarius Frets: 619
    Always absolutely hated that solo in Coffee And TV. Now i know why.
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1553
    Watched it this morning and had to learn Charmless Man after he played the intro. Respect to Coxon, that is one busy and inventive guitar tune!
  • GulliverGulliver Frets: 848
    Interesting approach from a show all about gear  - interview a guy who knows almost nothing about gear and cares even less...

That said, I did enjoy it!
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7732
    edited March 2018
    Gulliver said:
    Interesting approach from a show all about gear  - interview a guy who knows almost nothing about gear and cares even less...

I didn't notice that so much but was odd that there was little pedalboard talk.

What I did notice with them sat next to Graham is that D & M appear to be blowing all their tshirt money on Krispy Kremes

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 321
    Pretty early in his solo career this, so not recent, but still a blindingly catchy song:

I think there's a fair bit of self-deprecation on display with Coxon, a lot of his stuff isn't trivial to play, whether that's chord voicing or time feel, even if he doesn't think of himself as a technical player.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26753
    Matt_McG said:

I think there's a fair bit of self-deprecation on display with Coxon, a lot of his stuff isn't trivial to play, whether that's chord voicing or time feel, even if he doesn't think of himself as a technical player.
    True, but I think the point is he doesn't start by thinking "how about combing this voicing with that tonality and then create a dissonance against the root" or whatever, he just tries anything that isn't a barre chord and tries to come up with something that provides an interesting melodic and/or harmonic thing to listen to. 

I'm not knocking that at all - it's exactly how I've always approached guitar music. I never saw Blur with him, but I saw them without him (Reading 2003) and it was dull as fuck. IMO the guy's hugely important and I love that he clearly has no interest in the corksniffery elements of gear - it's just finding something that makes the right noise reliably. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8534
    Great to see someone a bit different to the norm on TPS, always loved Coxon, but seriously Dan and Mick were out of their depth. Seemed their reference points stretched no further than hearing Coffe and TV and Song 2 on the radio - there’s so much more that should have been explored if they’d known their stuff (I for one could have filled 2hours of questions just on Modern Life is Rubbish related stuff) - very frustrating. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5128
    Gulliver said:

I thought it was a useful counterpoint to the usual micro-level obsessing over almost imperceptible details (which I like, but let's call it what it is!).

I think there are, very broadly, two approaches to guitar playing and tone- one that starts with the "big picture" of the finished sounds/parts/songs and works back to the gear, another that starts with the gear and uses it to construct the "big picture" stuff. TPS mainly takes the second approach, whereas Graham Coxon has chosen the first. It was interesting to see the two meet in the middle. 

Mostly I just enjoyed watching one of my teenage guitar heroes talking shop. I could totally relate to the stuff about hating his younger self for writing complicated parts to play while singing backing vocals.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.