Line 6 Helix HX effects unit leaked....

What's Hot

Comments

• Kebabkid said:
    This doesn' bode well:(
    I wouldn’t panic, you will find it’s either user error or down to a certain amps crappy FX loop
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Ok. I've had a couple of hours with it.
    I'm using it four cable method. I'm using a speaker load and then feeding an impulse response into a daw.

I've used Helix native before and decided that I would only want to use my amp which is an Orange TH30. The LT or full blown helix are of no real interest but I can see why they would be to some given the current pricing.

Functionality wise, the HX is switching channels on the amp and I'm using the spare fx loop within patches. Expression pedals all work. The build quality at least seems solid.

My previous use of irs was with a digitech gsp1101 which I thought sounded ok. The HX blows it out of the water. I can't see me micing a cab again.

I then tried it into a cab and can say the HX does not seem to colour the amps tone at all with the effects in bypass. I cannot detect any extra noise and everything seems to be working fine.

With the unit plugged into USB, I did notice some background noise but I do not think this is the fault of the HX and may be my particular system as I have had it with other gear (zoom ms-50g). Unplug the USB and its is silent.

The tones.

Lots has been written about the quality of the effects of the helix. I can say with absolute certainty that I cannot tell the difference between the minotaur and a fredric zombie klone.
    I've previously had an ep booster and the kinky boost seems to work the same. The drives seem more authentic than previous digital ones.

The delays and reverbs sound excellent and can be routed parallell as can anything else.

I still have a m5 and an m9. The legacy effects here sound clearer. I don't think I'm imagining it.

I intended to keep some pedals to run in the loop but I am seriously considering just using this HX effects. To improve on the delays reverbs and modulations, I can only really see Axe fx, or boss 500 series or strymon and that is a megabucks rabbit hole I don't want to go down.

I've tried very hard to be objective about this, including concerns about the price.
    I can't see a downside other than having to use the line 6 power adapter (which is a weird shape).

Oh and the tuner is absolutely fine  ;)

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    That’s a great initial review @mattismetal ;
    Nice one!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    Thanks mattismetal
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • cbellangacbellanga Frets: 572
    cbellanga said:
    Mine’s on its way back. Same screen error many people are mentioning around + very noisy.. 
    Not seen either of these issues mentioned - link? Not doubting you, I'd just like to know what's occurrin'...
    Check TGP thread. I think mine’s was bogged. Fx are decent indeed. It would be a very portable solution so may try one again in a few months
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 850
    Mine is being returned. Faulty I believe......

When you touch a switch to edit the effect, sometimes it works, sometimes not. Sometimes opens edit to effect assigned to a different pedal.

Came with software 2.4. Won't update to 2.5. Causes line 6 updater to crash and booting and holding right arrow as per line 6 instructions to go into update mode simply fails to start the unit.

That's an hour and a half of my life I won't get back. 

Though it sounded ok..........

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    And managed to update it. Crappy instructions........ 

Says updater and driver must be installed to update. Didn't work. Need helix edit installed too, which also contains a driver apparently. Worked fine then.

Does sound better with the updated firmware!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • gearaddictgearaddict Frets: 894
    Did that solve the other issues?
    From a 10 min play after update seems to have.
  • I've read up as much as I can on the noise problems some are reporting.

I'm not suggesting there aren't any problematic units out there but a lot of the problems sound like ground loops.

If you're using it straight into the amp with nothing else connected you shouldn't have any noise but you could still have a ground loop!

Therefore in some cases it may not be a HX issue

For example. My Orange amp produces no noise with the HX. My laney AOR squeals like a pig but the noise is a simple ground loop and level mismatch.

the HX cannot 'send' an instrument level and 'receive' a line level on the same loop.

Loads of equipment suffers from this. If you have a look on this forum alone you can see people selling Fractal AX8's with 'humbusting' cables.

Google 4 cable method hum and there loads of users reporting the same

It might have been helpful if Line 6 included ground lifts or isolated outs but I expect space became an issue.

The noise problems will usually get worse with USB attached.

Added to this, the HX outputs are unbalanced.

Solution: transformer isolated outs and experimentation.

On one of the episodes of that pedal show there is a discussion about effects loop where Dan explains why he prefers not to use loops as their behaviour is unpredictable.

I suppose if you want to use 4 cable method youll need to budget in some isolators like these

cheapo www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000KUD2G4

expenso lehle.com/EN/Lehle-Dual-SGoS

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks for that and all your updates. They've been very useful.

So do you perceive that if you don't have an Effects Loop and just plug straight into the front of your valve amp, all should be ok?

Sorry, I don't know too much about this side of things and I've used effects loops in the past without any issues (plugged in a Quadraverb, Intellifex into a Boogie - told you it was a while back) but for quite a few years now, I've gone through the front end and clean channel of most amps I've had, not utilising the amp overdrive and done things solely via my pedalboard.
  • Kebabkid It should be ok. I'd suggest trying it out with your amp or using distance selling regs to try it.

It is a bit annoying though. The HX is designed to be used with an amp. It has to be used with an amp!. Line 6 spout off about 4 cable and 7 cable method but haven't provisioned for the problems that are inherent with these setups. I'm happy to try and solve it and the added cost is negligible but it means it is no longer a one box solution and I fear a lot of people will be put off.

Even if its not a fault of the unit, I imagine many would expect it to work as advertised without using workarounds.

After all that it still sounds phenomenal

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Cheers :)
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9445
    I must say, having owned the Helix LT and Full Fat, I think this new HX looks interesting....

I was never that impressed with the amp modelling but the fx were always good, but the routing was the helix strength.

Closer to £400 and this looks like a LOT of gear for the money
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Noise update for anyone who is interested....
    The Behringer Hum Destroyer arrived today and sorts out all the noise meaning that as I suspected it is not the HX itself that is producing noise but ground loops from what it is connected to. I know Behringer isn't exactly renowned for 'tonal integrity' or haunting mids but I didn't notice any sound change or tone loss with it and it gives you  a balanced out to go into a daw for direct recording.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 734
    edited March 2018
    So, I went to try a HX this morning and went back and forth with my main pedals and the equivalents in the HX.

I could get the Teemah to sound very similar to my Timmy, though the model was a bit brighter and grittier and the pedal a bit thicker sounding - I might have slightly preferred the Teemah to the real deal but I could generally dial one in to sound like the other. Stacking them was awesome! The Vermin model wasn't a patch on my WF Rat, no contest the 'real deal' won out there - a lot more definition, thicker mids and more 'natural'. The HX model was also very noisy compared to my pedal. The transistor tape delay was nice but the El Capistan had something extra for certain - everything was richer and the El Cap obviously has more flexibility.

Some of the other effects sounded great however there was more tweakability here than the m-series modellers I've used, however it misses out on the straight 'plug and play' aspect of the M9, for example. I guess that's what comes with such flexibility and power! No extra noise or anything and the unit was solid.

Overall, this thing was great and very flexible. However, I didn't buy it. Very close, but for 90% of what I use, i.e. the Timmy, Rat and El Capistan, I'm going to stick with what I've got for the time being. Interested to hear others' opinions .
  • Hjellybelly said:
    So, I went to try a HX this morning and went back and forth with my main pedals and the equivalents in the HX.

I could get the Teemah to sound very similar to my Timmy, though the model was a bit brighter and grittier and the pedal a bit thicker sounding - I might have slightly preferred the Teemah to the real deal but I could generally dial one in to sound like the other. Stacking them was awesome! The Vermin model wasn't a patch on my WF Rat, no contest the 'real deal' won out there - a lot more definition, thicker mids and more 'natural'. The HX model was also very noisy compared to my pedal. The transistor tape delay was nice but the El Capistan had something extra for certain - everything was richer and the El Cap obviously has more flexibility.

Some of the other effects sounded great however there was more tweakability here than the m-series modellers I've used, however it misses out on the straight 'plug and play' aspect of the M9, for example. I guess that's what comes with such flexibility and power! No extra noise or anything and the unit was solid.

Overall, this thing was great and very flexible. However, I didn't buy it. Very close, but for 90% of what I use, i.e. the Timmy, Rat and El Capistan, I'm going to stick with what I've got for the time being. Interested to hear others' opinions .
    Having owned a Helix and El Cap at the same time I would ask in which way you think the El cap had more flexibility?

Tone wise I used to agree with you but having had time to live with the Helix model I think I now get better results with it
  • jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 734
    Hjellybelly said:

Having owned a Helix and El Cap at the same time I would ask in which way you think the El cap had more flexibility?

Tone wise I used to agree with you but having had time to live with the Helix model I think I now get better results with it
    The ability to affect tape age, low end contour, tape bias and the spring reverb get quite a few subtle differences whereas the line 6 was simpler - perhaps better for it in some cases! The detail with things like the wow and flutter was definitely there in the repeats of the El Cap, and it degraded in a nicer way. Hard to explain exactly but I can absolutely see why the HX tape delay might be preferable - it was clearer and on the bright side - I had to set the tape age below 9 o’clock on the El Cap for similar EQ and clarity.  Hope that helps!
  • Hjellybelly said:

The ability to affect tape age, low end contour, tape bias and the spring reverb get quite a few subtle differences whereas the line 6 was simpler - perhaps better for it in some cases! The detail with things like the wow and flutter was definitely there in the repeats of the El Cap, and it degraded in a nicer way. Hard to explain exactly but I can absolutely see why the HX tape delay might be preferable - it was clearer and on the bright side - I had to set the tape age below 9 o’clock on the El Cap for similar EQ and clarity.  Hope that helps!
    Yeah I’ll agree with most of that. I liked the El Cap in isolation more than the Transistor Tape but I had to eventually admit to myself that the Line 6 actually sounded better in a band context.

Can you mot change the tape age on the Line 6? I thought you could. I’m sure it has high and low cuts as well. Remember that you can mix in parallel with an eq and reverb, run two tape delays in parallel, or several in series 

both awesome effects although the Strymon is more immediately satisfying 
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2316
    extremely tempted by this, and the size of it looks great compared to the whales of the other floor helix's.