Recommend me....

SlopeSoarerSlopeSoarer Frets: 782
edited March 2018 in Acoustics
... a travel acoustic for upto £250, new or used. I do have a Faith Saturn and love it and would have a Nomad version at the drop of the hat but they seem a bit thin on the ground but I'm also happy to look at other options.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    Do you mean travel guitar or parlour?

I wouldn't travel with a Faith Naked as the finish is butter thin and there is no binding. 

I've got a 'travel' guitar - it's an Ovation, which is bullet proof and I can take camping without worrying about tuning issues. 
  • SlopeSoarerSlopeSoarer Frets: 782
    edited March 2018
    Fuengi said:
    Do you mean travel guitar or parlour?

I wouldn't travel with a Faith Naked as the finish is butter thin and there is no binding. 

I've got a 'travel' guitar - it's an Ovation, which is bullet proof and I can take camping without worrying about tuning issues. 
    Yes, travel guitar, though maybe a parlour would do. It would be to take away when caravaning. Thinking about it no really travel guitar size is what I'm after.

I'll have a look at ovations, I hadn't even considered them.

Oh and I do want it to look like a guitar: )
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    They can get knocked around a bit on camping trips.

What about a Gretsch Jim Dandy? 
    Fuengi said:
    They can get knocked around a bit on camping trips.

What about a Gretsch Jim Dandy? 
    Yeah that's a fair point, I've not seen the Jim Dandy before but might be worth going have a look at one at that price: )

Just trawling t'internt and come across a Vintage VTG100n, looks reasonable for the money. My worry is that I'll feel like I'm going backwards from my Faith Saturn. I suppose the only way is to go and look and get a feel if they will satisfy my needs!?
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7732
    Jim Dandy seems like a good choice, if you are looking for more tone it gets pricier than 250
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15476
    there's a nice parlour by vintage (can't recall the name) seen some youtube footage of it and it sounds great. A well known folky, Phil Beer, who has a number of handmade acoustics, was so impressed with one he now tours with it.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71959
    Little Martin LX1. You should get one for £250 second hand.

Good enough for Ed Sheeran to make his career with, and he didn't stop using it even when he became successful. (Whether or not you like him...)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

ICBM said:
    Little Martin LX1. You should get one for £250 second hand.

Good enough for Ed Sheeran to make his career with, and he didn't stop using it even when he became successful. (Whether or not you like him...)
    I went in to my local Reidy's and had a look at an LX1 and the display model had a horrendously high action and this put me off straight away but really should look past this as it should be sortable: ) I'm also put off by the thought of printed HPL back and sides.
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    Have a look at the Vintage V300MH, it's a folk sized acoustic and is exceptionally good for the price. I wouldn't be without mine.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
    zepp76 said:
    Have a look at the Vintage V300MH, it's a folk sized acoustic and is exceptionally good for the price. I wouldn't be without mine.
    Reviews are great (best guitar under £1000!), just looking for something smaller.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71959
    SlopeSoarer said:

I went in to my local Reidy's and had a look at an LX1 and the display model had a horrendously high action and this put me off straight away but really should look past this as it should be sortable: ) I'm also put off by the thought of printed HPL back and sides.
    I wouldn’t be, it makes them extremely robust as a travel guitar, they’re a lot stronger than solid wood and possibly more than ply.

...although it has to be said that if you do hit it hard enough to break it, it’s much harder to repair than wood.

If anything the Stratabond neck puts me off more, it feels slightly odd until you get used to it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

ICBM said:
    SlopeSoarer said:

I wouldn’t be, it makes them extremely robust as a travel guitar, they’re a lot stronger than solid wood and possibly more than ply.

...although it has to be said that if you do hit it hard enough to break it, it’s much harder to repair than wood.

If anything the Stratabond neck puts me off more, it feels slightly odd until you get used to it.
    See your point... it's that traditionalist bit in me but it's not always right: )
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413
    edited March 2018
    ICBM said:
    SlopeSoarer said:

I like the feel of the Stratobond neck.  Not so sure about the profile on my OOOX1AE but the feel of it is nice.  That guitar is more of a workhorse though for live use so I can cope with the profile for 5 or 6 songs.  If I'm playing at home I use my nice Martin or my Stonebridge.