What’s your favourite drive pedal?

What's Hot

Comments

• ricorico Frets: 1220
    Many have been and gone but the lowly OCD is my favourite drive pedal. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1591
    @rico you say lowly but I think it’s a fine pedal. Certainly in my top three drive pedals that I’ve tried. I’ve had one for ages and it will never leave me (again after I had to buy it back after stupidly selling it once).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bassborabassbora Frets: 132
    I am a big fan of Wampler pedals. I have the Triple Wreck and I think it’s just epic. I also have Pinnacle Deluxe v2 for the Marshall type sounds. Very versatile pedal. OCD is on the board as well but doesn’t seem to get used that much anymore 
  • Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188
    Sporky said:
    Subdecay Liquid Sunshine for just-breaking-up stuff.

Zoom Hyperlead for crunch to full-on rawkstortion.

Zoom Ultra Fuzz for paint-stripping insanity.

Similar setup here:

liquid sunshine mk3 (always on)

Magneto White Atom fuzz (for extra hair)

Surfing Bear (for lead tones)

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

• ChuckManualChuckManual Frets: 692
    Short answer; All of them!

I've got a Zendrive 2 (the valve one), an Ethos OD, a ZVex Fat Fuzz Factory, an original Marshall Guv'nor, a Maxon OD808, an 80's Rat II and a Turbo Rat ...but I've never sold, passed-on or chucked out a drive pedal, even if they've fallen out of favour (the Rat II) or I haven't really got on with them to begin with (the Maxon, Turbo Rat and Guv'nor).

But, after having a bit of a rummage ahead of a proposed sell-off of some old unused stuff, I've just discovered they're all great ...in the right circumstances.

The Rat II does 80's Rock and 90's Grunge expertly, the Maxon is sublime with single coils, the Guv'nor does 70's bark like no other pedal I've ever heard and is awesome with P-90's ...and the Turbo Rat (which I seriously disliked from the get-go) turns out to be a monster distortion factory for bass and synths.
    Not much of the gear, even less idea.
    ...and I'm still leaving room on the board for an imminent Thorpy Peacekeeper!
    ...and possibly a Two Notes Le Clean...  B)
  • BorkBork Frets: 252
    I haven't found the drive pedal that is the sound in my head (although the Tight Rock is half way there).  Basically I want an Fender Super Champ on the verge of meltdown, with harmonics leaping off the fingerboard like it was a hot plate.  Any suggestions would be welcome.

[This space for rent]

• Bork said:
    I haven't found the drive pedal that is the sound in my head (although the Tight Rock is half way there).  Basically I want an Fender Super Champ on the verge of meltdown, with harmonics leaping off the fingerboard like it was a hot plate.  Any suggestions would be welcome.
    Isn’t that what a King of Tone is meant to be? Still needs the volume to work though
  • FezFez Frets: 499
    Mad Professor LGW for mid gain and Thorpy Fallout for Fuzz.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1616
    Bork said:

The CTC Stardust Blackface and the Bearfoot Silver Bee are meant to be in that camp

• GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4118
    The two Blackstar pedals I used to have sounded great. The HT Dual and DistX. If they used regular power supplies i'd probably still own them. As it stands, I do wish I'd kept them.

Of the pedals I still own the Digitech Hardwire  SC-2 Valve Distortion sounds absolutely incredible. 

• JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 905
    I'm going to be boring and say that I really like the Boss BD2W, but then I also really like the MD2 Mega Distortion so what do I know?

The Proco Turbo Rat is a big favourite too.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6627
    My old (now sold) Sunface NKT was the best overall drive pedal I ever owned. 

If discounting fuzz, the Wampler Plexi Drive gave me the most fun when I was playing with higher gain than I do these days, The Triple Wreck was a beast. 

These days having fun with a Catalinbread 5f6 for old Fender and Keeley 1962x for old Marshall tones.  
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10103
    edited March 2018
    The OCD is my favourite pedal overall. Great and easy to use. 
  • pmgpmg Frets: 298
    Tim and OCD
  • Grocer_JackGrocer_Jack Frets: 258
    For OCD users do you like the Toggle up or toggle down sounds the best? When mine was in regular use I always preferred the more Fendery sounds of toggle down.
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1591
    @Grocer_Jack I prefer mine up with a bit more bite but then I use mine for a slightly heavier tone. I have other pedals I prefer for lighter drives
  • JackieB33JackieB33 Frets: 190
    Xotic B.B. and Nobels ODR-1 in a dead heat 
    @gibsongretschfan man after my own heart. +1 for those two, 
    ''i've not seen a reaction like that in here since George Best got kicked out for glassing a bouncer''
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2582
    Never really seen the charm in buying and selling loads of drive pedals, my idea is have a few reputable ones that cover the territory I need covered and stick with them.  Currently have a Lovepedal Amp 11,  Xotic BB Preamp, Tech 21 Flyrig and some dirt options on various amps.  These get me the sounds I want, but I can't claim they're superior to the rest because I don't know the rest.

I am tempted by a Helix or similar modeller but that's to do with form and function rather than because I think I'll get better drive sounds.

“To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”