KOT/Bluesbreaker with Vox/Badcat/Matchless?

What's Hot
stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26754
Anyone tried these combinations?

I'm just spitballing, mostly because bored at work, and partly because I fancy a pedal build or 2. I'm wondering if anyone's tried the BB/KOT type circuit into British-ish EL84 type amps? 

Thoughts? Anecdotes? Recommendations? Dire warnings?
The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9448
    A ‘real’ KOT, imho, works with any amp... so you shouldnt have any fears there.

Its neutral sound is what works well. Dan on TPS raves about the KOT/Vox combination
  • markr76markr76 Frets: 360
    I have a badcat hotcat. Which although has vox DNA in it. It runs off EL34's. My amp loves the more transparent style drives. It doesn't get on with tubesreamer type drives though. I think the amp has a very midrange heavy sound naturally. Any pedals that push the mids more turns into a honky/nasally mess!
    I personally use a Thorpy peacekeeper and that works amazingly well. I've not tried a kot with it though. 
  • pmgpmg Frets: 298
    edited March 2018
    Had successful results with Badcat black cat and Badcat Classic Deluxe.  My bandmate has also used with a Vox ac30hw.  

I could give you at list of what weve we’ve tried that worked well
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26754
    edited March 2018
    pmg said:
    Had successful results with Badcat black cat and Badcat Classic Deluxe.  My bandmate has also used with a Vox ac30hw.  

I could give you at list of what weve we’ve tried that worked well
    Please do! 

What I'm really after is something that gives more of the lovely chimey thing (possibly with a little more mid oomph) without going towards the raspy sound that a lot of AC30s do when you crank them. It's very hard to describe, but something I already get with a combination of an Anarchy Gold Class set clean and a Stratoblaster to give a drop of mids. I'm wondering if there's something else out there that will add to or substitute within that to be even more better-er

Am therefore hoping the BB thing might work nicely, as I think it's the one major circuit I've never tried. 

I'm running a Badcat Cub 15, fwiw
    Have you tried a Klone?
    pmg said:
    Have you tried a Klone?
    Yup, a couple. They're ok with the gain on zero, and I'm sure they get better above home volumes, but increase the gain and treble and it adds rasp.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7735
    IMO the KOT is not a great pedal. I found it a bit fizzy and flat. I'd prefer a Timmy if you wanted a neutral drive with grit.

"Chime" is a weird one. Pedals either have smooth or gritty high end and frequency bumps in the right or wrong places.

Anyway. My favourite drive into my Spitfire clone is a liquid sunshine. 
    edited March 2018
    IMO the KOT is not a great pedal. I found it a bit fizzy and flat. I'd prefer a Timmy if you wanted a neutral drive with grit.

"Chime" is a weird one. Pedals either have smooth or gritty high end and frequency bumps in the right or wrong places.

Anyway. My favourite drive into my Spitfire clone is a liquid sunshine. 
    Yeah, I guess it's all about the exact eq curve of any specific pedal. It's funny, because I find the LS to be utterly uninspiring with this amp, even though I loved it with previous amps (Mesa 5:25 and Rivera Clubster 25).

I have a feeling the "old faithful" MXR Microamp would work well with this amp. I used to love my old one when I was using a Laney VC15.

Of course following the TPS Coxon special there's always the "stop worrying about it and play yer geetar" argument, which is potentially utterly valid... 
  • TateFXTateFX Frets: 114
    tFB Trader
    My KOT sounds great I to my EL84 Orange Terror.
    Formerly Stu_Tate
    Tate FX
    www.TateFX.co.uk
    Instagram 
  • brooombrooom Frets: 1171
    The king of tone works great with AC15 or AC30. To be fair it also works great with any other amp I've tried it with.
  • are you playing at a gig volume with a drummer? 
    https://www.gbmusic.co.uk/

PA Hire and Event Management
    are you playing at a gig volume with a drummer? 
    Home volume with a cat! :D 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • are you playing at a gig volume with a drummer? 
    my KOT doesnt sound that good at home volumes into any amp, my cat just likes the heat of the valves 
    https://www.gbmusic.co.uk/

PA Hire and Event Management
    pmg said:
    Have you tried a Klone?
    Yup, a couple. They're ok with the gain on zero, and I'm sure they get better above home volumes, but increase the gain and treble and it adds rasp.
    Maybe stack that with a transparent overdrive
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    All the bluesbreaker based pedals I’ve built sounded great with my mesa transatlantic.  It had a vox based channel and used el84s.  

Ive tried a straight bluesbreaker, kot and morning glory circuits with it.  The new ‘Emperor’ pcb from fuzzdog is a worthwhile pretty straightforward build if you fancy making your own @stickyfiddle ;
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420

pmg said:
    Have you tried a Klone?
    You definitely need your amp to be working at a sensible volume to get the best out of a Klone imho.  
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1534
    If you're looking at a pedal build - you might try looking at the Catalinbread Naga Viper and CB30 over at TagboardEffects.
    I havent played through the amps you mention, but i do have an EL84 based combo, which they work well with.

Adam
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 421
    Ive got a Fredric Effects BB clone with KOT mods - into a Mesa 5 25 ( EL 84 based ) - works well on clean n pushed settings on channel 1 - works well as clean boost on other voicings though not excessive db uplift .. 

Have you tried an eq pedal as a boost - at least it might give a better definition of type of pedal that will get you where you want to go ( borrow a ten band ? ) 
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22097
    Is it true bypuss? 

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7350
    whatever is going on with the frequency response of the KOT (and I rate it HIGHLY) only really distinguishes itself at volume, ime. It's so-so (nothing wrong with it) at low volume, sounds majestic at high volume 
    Red ones are better.