Selling off gigging rig?

koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4134
Still a little uncertain, after retiring in October, I have had no inkling to get back into a band and play live. I thought that I would miss the playing live and the camadrie of being in a band, but I can honestly say I haven't missed any of it. 
My question is do you think it's too soon to start selling off the gear, or should I just go for it? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33783
    Do you need the money?
  • There's so many options for lightweight / very portable gear that can also be used at home volume that having a dedicated gig rig isn't really necessary.

You could easily pick up a 100w Katana or something like that if you wanted to occasionally dep without having massive gear to carry around. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • funkyfrazfunkyfraz Frets: 93
    If you've got no emotinoal attachment to it, then go for it I'd say. Don't get me wrong, be prepared to re-buy stuff down the line when you inevitably get involved in something,  but for now id say just get rid.

As, @Legionreturns said, lightweight stuff is miles cheaper these days, and miles better than it used to be, so picking up a wee amp for most applications wouldn't be a bank breaker!
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24798
    Gear seems to be so hard to sell at sensible money these days, I’d keep hold of it. 

And you never know - you might wake up one day itching to play again....
  • Interesting thoughts. 
    I'm pretty sure I will never play live again, I was lucky to finish on such a high so no need to carry on as it will inevitably be an anticlimax. 
    My Acoustiic has massive sentimental value, even though I can't play more than two songs on it before hands cramp up. So that's a keeper.
    My Tele is a keeper anyway, so is my lap steel and Gretsch Resonator. That leaves one guitar my slide P90 guitar. And also my ZoomG3X and my customised Excelsior. My tweed Champ is a keeper.
    so even if I sell that stuff it's not a huge sum of money anyway, and it will free up cash to buy some things for a home studio setup for recording my radio shows. 
    So I suppose it's watch this space. 
    Cheers
    taff
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72254
    I’d probably sell the stuff you’re not using. The G3X and the Excelsior aren’t really anything special enough that you couldn’t get something similar or better in the future if you miss them, and even a single-P90 guitar isn’t exactly rare.

I decided to sell off my gigging gear almost ten years after my main band called it a day, and I should have done it sooner really.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein