I am lost for words. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    edited March 2018
    Comedy genius.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • markjmarkj Frets: 910
    One of the last greats. Saw Ken a couple of times in my local theatre he was superb.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14036
    tFB Trader
    My dad saw him a few times - stayed on the stage for ages and some had to leave to catch a bus - Show finished when he was ready - My dad thought live he was the best he'd seen
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • westwest Frets: 994

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4902
    Possibly the funniest thing I ever saw on telly was Doddy telling the three-legged chicken joke on Des O'Connor's show - tears of laughter streaming down O'Connor's face.

RIP Doddy.

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    edited March 2018
    A sad day indeed - hopefully Doddy wouldn’t mind me reminding people of an exchange at his tax trial:

”Your name?”

”Kenneth Dodd”

”And your occupation?”

”Comedian”

”Objection your Honour”

RIP Sir Ken - a true legend....
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16254
    west said:

Lynne Perrie in that audience, crazy old woman.

I remember him with the Diddy Men on children’s tv and finding it all a bit odd. About 7 or 8 years ago I had to buy tickets to see my son’s youth orchestra at Dudley town hall and they posted me out tickets to see Doddy the night before by mistake; I did sort it out but that was the closest I got to seeing him. 
    5 hour comedy shows and utter love of what he was doing, something to be admired. RIP. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 886
    My dad saw him a few times - stayed on the stage for ages and some had to leave to catch a bus - Show finished when he was ready - My dad thought live he was the best he'd seen
    That's exactly what my dad said about him live. Doubled up and crying with laughter.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    What a fantastic day for shoving cucumbers through the vicar's letterbox and shouting "The Martians are coming"!

RIP Doddy
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14036
    tFB Trader
    Zoolooter said:
    That's exactly what my dad said about him live. Doubled up and crying with laughter.
    totally - I never saw him live - I've seen many good comedians - but my dad always said best act he saw live - just went on and on feeding gags and stories - And no swearing either
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Met him in the bar of the winter gardens in Blackpool in the 90s. 

Total consummate gentleman. Bought a round, told some funnies, But was genuinely interested in who we were and what we did. Chatted for at least 20 mins. 

After he supped up he shot off to do his usual 5 hour marathon show. He was one of the greats - genuine, polite, funny, professional, hard working and most of all just a bloody nice bloke. 
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8599
    As a young man I didn't 'get' him. It was the 80's and the start of the whole 'alternative' comedy movement. I just thought Dodd was some old school 50's comic.
    I saw him on some sort of tv special and to my great surprise found him hilarious. I realised that in many respects he was more 'alternative' than any of them.

RIP Ken.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Kilgore said:
    As a young man I didn't 'get' him. It was the 80's and the start of the whole 'alternative' comedy movement. I just thought Dodd was some old school 50's comic.
    I saw him on some sort of tv special and to my great surprise found him hilarious. I realised that in many respects he was more 'alternative' than any of them.

RIP Ken.
    Similar thoughts here, he wasn't really "for me" but on reflection he was head and shoulders over a lot of the acts I was interested in.
    west said:

Dude i think you maybe confusing Dora Bryan for lynne perrie , she was the sister of dougie brown and they both acted in the film Kes , dougie was also one of the comedians ...
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    Sad day, he was a lovely man and a fantastic entertainer.

Interesting facts on the news:

he sold 100 million records (!)
    he had a 42 week residency at the London Palladium in 1965! That is quite incredible.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    axisus said:
    Sad day, he was a lovely man and a fantastic entertainer.

Interesting facts on the news:

he sold 100 million records (!)
    he had a 42 week residency at the London Palladium in 1965! That is quite incredible.
    Yes - I was just reading that Tears was the 3rd biggest selling single in the UK in the 60s after two Beatles songs. Not bad going!
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6598
    Funniest man. Ever. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16254
    west said:
    west said:

Dude i think you maybe confusing Dora Bryan for lynne perrie , she was the sister of dougie brown and they both acted in the film Kes , dougie was also one of the comedians ...
    Ahh, yes, I think you are right. Sorry Dora. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    west said:
    west said:

Ahh, yes, I think you are right. Sorry Dora. 
    She was lovely in a taste of honey , dora that is lol ....
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    axisus said:

I might have seen him at that one. I definitely saw him at the Palladium sometime in the 60s. Made my sides ache for hours afterwards. RIP Doddy.