Budget Multi FX with Fuzz?

What's Hot
paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3044
Toying with the idea of a Multi FX unit with a budget of about £200 is there anything out there with a Fuzz available, something tweakable to get "my" Fuzz sound (Z Fex Fuzzolo)
All I really need is Chorus, Delay. Drives and a Fuzz, I know nothing about multi FX, is there anything out there?

Thanks!
Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Pod HD 500, ME80 and GT100 well under that budget and would all do that without issue

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    personally i would use multi effects for everything but drive and especially fuzz...there may be good ones out there, but nothing i've tried has been that great at fuzz...i've tried zoom G3, Boss GT (a few different ones) and Pod HD (older one)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3044
    Thanks chaps!
    That good to hear @samzadgan I think you have just saved me a few quid!
    Might try a programmable looper/switcher thing.....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71955
    The Boss ME-50 has a couple of reasonably good fuzz settings, and typically sells for around £100 or less. Not sure how close you can get it to the ZVex, but otherwise it will do exactly what you want - three footswitches, for distortion (fuzz) modulation (chorus) and delay, plus compression, noise gate, reverb etc (not footswitchable) and a wah/volume pedal.

I can't recommend these highly enough, they're the simplest multi-FX to use since all the functions are controlled with knobs rather than push-button editing, you don't even have to programme it if you don't want to, and they sound great - not just acceptable, as good as individual pedals for most of the effects... I A/B'd mine accurately with my analogue pedals and then sold most of them!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

@ICBM Forgive my ignorance, Ive never owned a multi effects.....does the ME50 save several versions of three individual "pedals" per footswitcch or can several "pedals" be assigned to each footswitch?

What I would like is for example is
    FS 1 to be clean with a bit of reverb/chorus
    FS 2 OD rhythm
    Fs 3 OD lead, louder than 2

and variations of the above, will the ME 50 do that?

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71955
    paulnb57 said:
    @ICBM Forgive my ignorance, Ive never owned a multi effects.....does the ME50 save several versions of three individual "pedals" per footswitcch or can several "pedals" be assigned to each footswitch?

What I would like is for example is
    FS 1 to be clean with a bit of reverb/chorus
    FS 2 OD rhythm
    Fs 3 OD lead, louder than 2

and variations of the above, will the ME 50 do that?
    Yes, you can do that in 'programme' mode - you can assign any combination of effects to any of the three footswitches. In 'manual' mode it operates like three separate pedals.

In fact, there are multiple 'banks' of the three programmes as well, but you don't need to make it that complicated if you don't want to!

In the interests of balance :) the Zoom G3 (or G3X, with the wah/volume pedal) does a very similar sort of thing, but it's less intuitive to use if you've never had a multi-FX before - the beauty of the Boss is that it's extremely simple, every function has a physical knob to control it, no hidden menus or scrolling through stuff. I've had both and vastly prefer the Boss for ease of use and slightly for sound quality, but the Zoom is physically smaller (if that matters) and more powerful in the sense that you can do things like change the order of the effects, which is fixed in the Boss.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

Much appreciated @ICBM on the bay of e they are cheap enough for a punt!

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31367
    The G3 has some pretty good fuzzes, including a Zvex clone, and the chorus and delays are excellent. 

The only potential problem is routing them where you want them, fuzz rarely sounds good into a totally clean amp, and the time based or modulation effects don't like a dirty amp, and the G3 won't allow you to split them. 

I'm a big fan of the G3 and gig mine every week in the effects loop of my amp, but still use analogue pedals in front of the amp for dirt.