Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

C18Q1 swampy strat... FINISHED with pics.

What's Hot
12346»

Comments

• poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    edited February 2018
    rsvmark said:
    @poopot So I have a couple of questions. Apologies for the apparently dum ass nature of these questions. It's a bit embarrassing as i feel I should know the answers to these questions but I don't.

Q1. Scale length. So I get the fact that different guitars have different scale lengths. If you plan to do a strat, do you need to specify things like the exact position of the holes for the bridge plate (I would guess they are so generic, any variation is taken out with the longitudinal adjustment in the bridge saddle) and the neck pocket or is the strat body so generic they all just 'work'

Q2. You show you are having to have the neck shaved so it sits lower in the pocket. was this down to the body manufacturer supplying something out of tolerance or is it a case that one of the inherent jobs in assembly is to either shim or shave the neck to get the correct fit?

thanks  in advance for indulging me but the end result looks so good I might have a go.... And that's scary!
    1) if the body is made to strat specs and the neck is made to strat specs the scale length will be as it should be. I guess if you are having a neck or body custom made you can spec whatever scale length you want.

2) after taking the neck off and taking a few measurements it transpired that the neck pocket was slightly shallow compared to ‘62 strat specs and the neck heel was slightly thicker. (I did ask for a chunky neck)

If you read back to the start of the thread I had painted the guitar once and then had to strip it, I didn’t strip the paint from the neck pocket and painted it again... it had double the amount of paint in it!... stripping the paint from the neck pocket yesterday gained me an extra 0.5mm of depth... shaving the heel got me another 1.2mm. So now the geometry is pretty much on ‘62 specs (although they did vary quite a lot)

Below is a chart with measurements “borrowed” from fenders spec book along with my body and neck.

http://a63.tinypic.com/21cy2rm.jpg

Add into the mix that I had jumbo frets put on the neck it made the saddle height even higher!...

the guitar as it was played beautifully, but because of the height issue every thing was maxed out.

its back together now and everything sits together perfectly, it’s away being plekd to add the icing on what is a lovely rosewood and swamp ash cake!...

as for having a go! Do it!... just make sure you get a decent body and a decent neck... all the rest is just bolt on stuff really...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @rsvmark
    just to add, I think as long as you buy a body and neck from the same place you will be off to a good start. Doesn’t mean you won’t have to do some fiddling but you would expect that any work needed should be minimal.

its all to easy to grab a “bargain” body or neck from somewhere and then wonder why nothing fits together!...
    Swampy is back from the plek machine!....

what a difference that makes!... absolutely perfect fret dress all over the neck... no choking anywhere... no fret buzz... low action...

well happy, totally recommend you all go out and get your guitar plek’d!...
  • poopot said:

How much does pleking cost?

PS very cool guitar!
    poopot said:

How much does pleking cost?

PS very cool guitar!
    The cost is £135 for the plek... Mine cost a little more as I had a few loose frets but it wasn't a fortune more.

Theres a vid here on the process (didn't get the refret done - Just the plek set up)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBNAtOxgHlg

Very accurate and very good finish... 
  • That guitar is beautiful! Stunning job!
    That guitar is beautiful! Stunning job!
    Cheers... really happy with the outcome... pups have since been changed to a set of voodoo’s by pribora... 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom