TC Sub n Up versus EHX POG versus...T Rex Quint?

What's Hot
colourofsoundcolourofsound Frets: 393
edited March 2018 in FX
Looking at getting a dedicated octave pedal for my board as tracking on the Zoom MS50G has much to be desired.

I'd be looking at the Sub n Up mini or the Micro POG, and wondering how the two compare? The TC is in the lead for me at the mo given its diminutive size and the Tone Print stuff.

I've had POGs and a Pitch Fork before which are industry standard as far as I'm concerned, but not played any TC harmonisers of any kind.

Any pointers?

EDIT: Anyone used the Quint?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• benmurray85benmurray85 Frets: 1395
    Ah I can help out on your thread! I have used the POG in the past (a loaner) and own a TC Mini. I think the TC is a tiny bit more glitchy/less accurate/whatever you want to call it than the POG. 
    Its a minute difference but IMHO there is a difference. I have to admit I've never used the Toneprint stuff on the Sub N Up, I didnt even know it was compatible with it tbh so maybe there's ways of tightening in up so I guess my comments only apply to its standard setting.
    FWIW I actually really prefer the slight quirks of the TC.
    How very rock and roll
  • Ah I can help out on your thread! I have used the POG in the past (a loaner) and own a TC Mini. I think the TC is a tiny bit more glitchy/less accurate/whatever you want to call it than the POG. 
    Its a minute difference but IMHO there is a difference. I have to admit I've never used the Toneprint stuff on the Sub N Up, I didnt even know it was compatible with it tbh so maybe there's ways of tightening in up so I guess my comments only apply to its standard setting.
    FWIW I actually really prefer the slight quirks of the TC.
    Haha cheers! I think I will probably go for the TC as board size is definitely a thing here. Cheers!
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10337
    Having used the two I much prefer the ehx.
    It's not as fancy as the TC with all it's toneprint shenanigans but it's a better sounding unit. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • Having used the two I much prefer the ehx.
    It's not as fancy as the TC with all it's toneprint shenanigans but it's a better sounding unit. 
    Yeah just quickly Youtubed some comparisons and the TC sounds a bit shit. the Pitchfork comes out best, and I did really like it when I had one.

Bugger.
  • I have the full size Sub n Up and absolutely love it. The toneprint stuff is brilliant, especially when you get into the deep editing via a laptop. There's a couple of really good youtube videos that go through the various parameters you can play about with.

The mini doesn't have the toggle switch that lets you choose between polyphonic, toneprint and classic and also lacks the 4th knob. They'd be deal breakers for me as I regularly switch between the 3 modes. Also, in the editor you can assign the knobs to control different things so having the extra knob makes a big difference.

Soundwise, the polyphonic mode tracks well enough for chords etc and the editing software has a ridiculous amount of paramenters that can be tweaked. The classic mode gives you that old school glitchy monophonic sound and is awesome with fuzz.

So, personally I'd go for the full sized model, it's still smaller than the micro pog and it's worth sacrificing a bit of board real estate for the extra knob/toggle switch when compared to the mini.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1806
    I have a pitchfork and have played micro pogs. The pitchfork has noticeably more latency on octaves - not an issue of it's a blended tone but a problem of you're just using the wet signal. 
  • It's long but worth a watch.

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    I used to use a Micro Pog but replaced it with the Sub'n'up (full size). So much functionality with the toneprints. With the covers band I mainly use if for a faux 12 string jangle, but mess around with it's impression of a bass guitar and other settings when noodling at home.
  • Trex Quint is a good alternative. Tracking/latency isnt too bad either. 

• BlaendulaisBlaendulais Frets: 3316
    sent my TC back it sounds crap!
  • VJIvesVJIves Frets: 466
    I hated the lower octave on the Sub n Up. I ended up getting a Tender Octaver Pro for around £100, sounds great, has presets, ridiculously small.
  • VJIves said:
    I hated the lower octave on the Sub n Up. I ended up getting a Tender Octaver Pro for around £100, sounds great, has presets, ridiculously small.
    Forgot about the Tender Octaver. The mk I is a clone of the Mini POG, right? And EHX sued them for it! Might be the one to get...
  • VJIvesVJIves Frets: 466
    VJIves said:
    Forgot about the Tender Octaver. The mk I is a clone of the Mini POG, right? And EHX sued them for it! Might be the one to get...
    That's the one! They've launched the TO mkii as a direct replacement, and the Pro in the same range as the Shimverb, Reecho etc. Stick an expression pedal in and it's also a whammy. Cheap as chips from Aliexpress, as all Mooer stuff is.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ChuckManualChuckManual Frets: 692
    I actively wanted a POG and A/B'ed it against every octave pedal I could find, but ended-up buying the (full size) Sub'N'Up instead because it just sounded better to me.
    Not much of the gear, even less idea.
  • Anyone used the T Rex Quint Machine? top mounted jacks! :open_mouth: 
  • The quint is great value for money. Great for solos and arpeggios. The ‘fifths’ control is a nice thing too. A bit stuttery on chords against the pog but only slightly and fine if you have the blend turned down. 

It sounds a bit bit more ‘natural’ than the pog too, but then again the synthetic-ness of the pog has a charm too.

All down to what you want out of it. If it’s going to be a big part of your sound I would say go for the pog, but defo a pog 2 and not the nano or mini.