Cheap bass from Thomann?

What's Hot
John_PJohn_P Frets: 2744
Just thinking out loud but if anyone has any thoughts - I could do with a cheap back up bass for some dep gigs coming up and the band play half the set in Eb (don’t ask me why).  

I need to order some speaker covers from thomann this week so if I don’t see a used bass for sale I might as well spend a bit more and get free postage. 

HB precision?     Is a Squier noticeably better?     Sire?   
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    I tried one of the Affinity Precisions and it was far too good for the money. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    • What bass guitar do you normally play? 
    • What sort of bass sounds does the dep gig demand? 
    • How inexpensive do you need the Eb instrument to be?
    • What version of the Hipshot D-Tuner device would your current bass guitar require?
    Be seeing you.
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5378
    Really liked the Yamaha BB series for not much dosh. Very versatile sound, easy to play and very well-built. Difficult to go wrong with Yamaha on the "low end" (ba-dump-chssst)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    What about a Digitech Drop Pedal instead?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ash96ash96 Frets: 61
    The sire's are great great basses for the money. I've got the cheaper of the 2 models (but the 5 string version) which is Alder i beliver rather than Ash and it blows the mim fender I had before out the water.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • funkyfrazfunkyfraz Frets: 93
    edited March 2018
    I had the hb jazz copy. Heavy as fuck but played very well!  Gigged it numerous times. Only got rid because I realised I didn't need so many basses! 
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2744
    Thanks chaps,  some useful comments there.  
    I use a Geddy Lee jazz and it’s been a few years since I had a spare bass which has been on my list to sort.   
    To contrast with the jazz I was debating a precision or a stingray, a sire or one of the older bass collection models - maybe a 5 string.   

I notice they are about to get a new cheaper v3 version of the sire basses so unless a bargain used bass appears over the next week that would be top of the list for now.  
  • I had one of their 51 style P-basses. It was excellent for the money, a couple of rough frets and and pots that were "on or off" but perfectly playable. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26753
    I got a *very* cheap bass for the 100 quid challenge a few years back. I was branded Harrier or something, but likely the same factory as what is now branded HB.

It got better with a new bridge and wiring but it was great out of the box for sub-50 quid.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • jakzekjakzek Frets: 55
    John_P said:
    I use a Geddy Lee jazz and it’s been a few years since I had a spare bass which has been on my list to sort.   
    To contrast with the jazz I was debating a precision or a stingray, a sire or one of the older bass collection models - maybe a 5 string.   

I notice they are about to get a new cheaper v3 version of the sire basses so unless a bargain used bass appears over the next week that would be top of the list for now.  

If you fancy a cheap stingray and are anywhere near the West Midlands, I’ve got one of the old OLP stingrays in black that I never use and would let it go for £100. In good nick for the age, just needs new strings and a bit of contact cleaner on the electrics. Been collecting dust for a while as I no longer play bass.
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited March 2018
    Have a look on the Bass Chat forum, always loads of good used gear on offer at fair prices. I think bass players flip their gear more than we do! A great bunch of lads over there too, they helped me to find the perfect bass.

https://www.basschat.co.uk/forum/19-basses-for-sale/
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2744
    jakzek said:
    John_P said:

If you fancy a cheap stingray and are anywhere near the West Midlands, I’ve got one of the old OLP stingrays in black that I never use and would let it go for £100. In good nick for the age, just needs new strings and a bit of contact cleaner on the electrics. Been collecting dust for a while as I no longer play bass.
    A shame you aren’t closer or I’d have been very tempted.   I always fancied the Tony levin 5 string version of the olp. 
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8534
    Ibanez TMB100 is the correct answer but looks like Thomann are out of stock. 
  • MattBansheeMattBanshee Frets: 1498
    Get one of those Squier 70s jazz basses in natural (maple neck with blocks) that are aaaalways for sale on eBay. 
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    Both Squier and HB are usually both pretty stunning value for money. 

A Squier's pickups won't be the best, but it will be eminently upgradable (like the rest of the hardware, etc) if you wanted to do that in the future.  The Harley Bentons are generally unbelievable value for the money but can be quite (or very) heavy.

John_P said:
     I always fancied the Tony Levin 5 string version of the OLP. 
    Why? The only good things about that model were the retail price and the paint job. The Sterling-By-Musicman S.U.B. series is infinitely better.

John_P said:
    It might be wiser to put the money that you propose to spend on a budget "spare" bass guitar towards upgrades for your Fender. Pickups, D-Tuner et cetera.
    Be seeing you.
  • speshul91speshul91 Frets: 1397
    Have you looked at the cheaper ibanez stuff, I picked a gsr200sm up brand new for 180. Changed the strings on it and its been perfect. 
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    John_P said:
     I always fancied the Tony Levin 5 string version of the OLP. 
    Why? The only good things about that model were the retail price and the paint job. The Sterling-By-Musicman S.U.B. series is infinitely better.
    I've got one of them (SUB 5) - it's got a good quality feel to it.
    The S-By-MM S.U.B. instruments are on a par with the Squier Vintage Modified series. This should comes as no surprise because they are built in the same factory, using many parts from the same bins. The week spots on the S.U.B.s are the cheap bridge, pickup and controls harness. These can easily be upgraded as funds allow.

One overlooked instrument on the pre-owned market is the Squier VM Jaguar (full scale length version). These can sometimes be found cheaply. The version with a single *soapbar* humbucking pickup has active EQ - albeit cheap 'n' nasty. Again, upgrading would be easy.

Be seeing you.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    This is the SUB 5 I have - it feels much more substantial than most basses...

For under £200 it merits the phrase "no brainer".