Bluegrass flat picking!

What's Hot
Any one here into flat picking? im big fan of country guitar in general on the weekend someone turned me onto a guy called Tony Rice and im hooked ive ordered 3 cds of his and learnt some licks over a backing i found on youtube...anyone else into this style? 
https://www.facebook.com/james.oliver.184/videos/10215690165590076/ ;
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• menamestommenamestom Frets: 4641

I think @Lewy is

• LewyLewy Frets: 4124
    edited March 2018

I think @Lewy is

Yes I love bluegrass and flatpicking. On these shores, it seems like a great undiscovered way of playing.

For further mind blowing listening, check out Bryan Sutton and David Grier!

And for originators/stylistic influencers... Doc Watson, Norman Blake and Clarence White are essential.

A word of note about studying Tony Rice - flatpicking is founded on the principle of downbeats being played with a downstroke and upbeats being played with an upstroke. That’s how it gets it’s pulse. Rice breaks that pattern all the time.
  • I did all the transcriptions for Troy Grady's packs with Carl Miner, David Grier, Andy Wood, and Molly Tuttle... I can honestly say they're as good as it gets.

I urge you to check them all out on Youtube!!

Support me on Youtube or Patreon
    https://www.patreon.com/leviclay    |    https://www.youtube.com/c/leviclay
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 2018
    The Troy videos are fascinating - just don’t put too much store in some of his theories about why flatpickers do things the way they do....he’s way over complicating it as Grier himself
    points out to him
  • JackGrantJackGrant Frets: 11
    Yep me for bluegrass. I have transcribed quite a few tiny rice, Bryan Sutton and David Grier things, and even have a bluegrass band in sunny Worthing.  (Tiny rice?). There are some good bluegrass festivals in the uk too.
    Mr Clays transcriptions of Troys things are great - Carl Miner is stunning. I found a good transcription of church street blues and Molly turtles white freight liner on https://www.lessonswithmarcel.com/tab-store
  • mixolydmixolyd Frets: 826
    I recently discovered the Troy Grady stuff and am much impressed but the wealth of styles, sources and techniques on offer is bewildering.  I like classic rock a la Jimmy Page -not metal - and also do acoustic+voice stuff.  Where can I start look for Grady stuff that will be versatile and useful for a non virtuoso type?
    Great Tony Rice Church St Blues lesson here...a milestone piece for any aspiring flatpicker:

What’s your band called @JackGrant? Are you playing any of the festivals this year? I’m planning to at least get to Orwell and Didmarton.
    edited March 2018
    I played the Friday night dance tent (old time) at Orwell last year.  Band is called Pullman Jam but we're new so not done the festivals,yet. We'll all be at Orwell and Didmarton this year and hopefully busy at open Mic and jams. Were you at either the last few years?  Do you gig bluegrass?   And that's a good Chirch street lesson :) 
    edited March 2018
    JackGrant said:
    We'll all be at Orwell and Didmarton this year and hopefully busy at open Mic and jams. Were you at either the last few years?  Do you gig bluegrass?   And that's a good Chirch street lesson  
    I’m not doing much since having a young family but played in a couple of bands (the Wagon Tales and The Absentees) that did most of the UK festivals. Myself and Bruno Pichler (from the Hot Rock Pilgrims) are playing Sunday afternoon in duo format at Orwell this year, and I’ll be going to Didders as a punter. We’ll have to have a pick!

Edit: just looked up your band - I recognise you lot!! :)
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2418
    Bruno is a really tasty dobro player. That will make a very enjoyable duo @Lewy. The Hot Rock Pilgrims are for me one of the most enjoyable bands on the U.K. bluegrass circuit.
    Bruno is great as are the hot rock pilgrims. I assume your not far away as Bruno isn't either. Chris and Patrice from Pullman  are quite wired into the bluegrass scene (and old time). They get some great American acts over to their house concerts. (I got to jam with grant Gordy and Joe t Walsh last year.  Sublime moment was that after chatting with Grant about guitarist we liked we agreed liking Page.  He kept throwing small zep moments in.) 
    must find each other at the festivals. 
    JackGrant said:
    Bruno is great as are the hot rock pilgrims. I assume your not far away as Bruno isn't either. Chris and Patrice from Pullman  are quite wired into the bluegrass scene (and old time). They get some great American acts over to their house concerts. (I got to jam with grant Gordy and Joe t Walsh last year.  Sublime moment was that after chatting with Grant about guitarist we liked we agreed liking Page.  He kept throwing small zep moments in.) 
    must find each other at the festivals. 
    Definitely! This is what I love about the UK bluegrass scene...everyone knows everyone. My best mate is Ben Somers who plays with Grant and Joe when they are in Europe. 

Im actually Reading way. Where are you based @jamesoliver1234 ? We can probably point you in the direction of some bluegrass sessions you could get to.
    Ben somers Who I met  when both grant and John Lovell were over. I did the sound for them. Bruno knows chris and the hot rocks did the buildings gig.  It's a small and friendly world.  
    edited March 2018
    Did a couple of gigs with the Ben Somers String Band over the weekend and got to play with this fantastic dobro player (Noel Dashwood). Here's us in a bit of downtime between the gigs....

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2418
    Lewy said:
    Did a couple of gigs with the Ben Somers String Band over the weekend and got to play with this fantastic dobro player (Noel Dashwood). Here's us in a bit of downtime between the gigs....

Excellent!!
    Met Noel at Orwell. He spent a bit of time with 16 year old dobro student of mine (as did another dobro player there). He’s inspiring, and they both really helped Tobias. Your playing is excellent- been working for 5 years to get that relaxed smooth right hand. 
    Do you have YouTube link ? Tobias ‘d love to see this. And we’re just starting on playing fiddle
    tunes :)
    JackGrant said:
    Do you have YouTube link ? Tobias ‘d love to see this. And we’re just starting on playing fiddle
    tunes :)
    Here you go:https://youtu.be/eC8X8ZFqqB4
    JackGrant said:
    been working for 5 years to get that relaxed smooth right hand. 
    For me, it has started to click since really getting into Norman Blake and worrying a bit less about trying to be Tony Rice :)