Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Is it time to stop?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    edited March 2018
    I think it comes in stages. I went through a similar path in my early 20's. I remember my band getting an A&R down to a gig, he told us to be like EMF!

I quit the guitar at27. Then got back into it at 32. Made an album at 35. I still love playing. But I just think the UK is such a hostile place for original musicians over 25. An American friends ex boyfriend is in his mid 40's and gigging still. I just think the whole setup in the UK is in favour of DJ's and acoustic music. Most original band nights have 4-5 acts a night. It used to be 3 max when I was younger. So sound check times are cut and quality drops. I think that puts people off live music tbh.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Im 55 and gigging, I sold my flying V 2 years ago so its a les paul , tele and a 339 at the moment, wouldnt mind another V though.  I played when i was a teenager, early 20s but stopped without reason and picked it up 30 years later. so ive got a lot of catching up to do. I think i will be gigging into my 70s if i physically can.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8591
    ... I think i will be gigging into my 70s if i physically can.
    That’s my objective. My fingers are still playing well. I’m just hoping that my ears hold on.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • thingthing Frets: 469
    I stopped regular gigging about 7 years ago when I was 55. Just got bored with it. I joined a tribute band last year to say if I could rekindle my enthusiasm but I didn't. I guess if I had a day job that wasn't involved with music then it might be different but TBH when I've been playing all day the last thing I want to do is do it at night time as well.

I'm thankful that I make a living from music but I'm happy now to let others do the gigging.
    This is absurd.  You don’t know what you’re talking about.  It warrants combat.
  • i have stopped for the time being - became a Dad a year ago - left my band of 6years within 2 weeks of my son being born - realised that there was no way I could carry on.

a year later I must admit I havent missed it (bar the odd time) I may come back to it when hes abit older

Here is my Trader Feedback Page - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/62051/
  • Well I've just come back from a 5 day tour, I didn't play though I was a guitar tech. Kinda enjoyed being out of the limelight just handle the load in/setup and any on-stage issue stuff. Was still fun and I felt like I contributed to the band and they're my mates first and foremost. After seeing other bands playing on the bill (and very good bands) it made me feel inside that I might not ever reach that level of playing ever again, as bands do take time to get a fanbase and stuff. You'd have thought doing the tour would have refuelled the fire to be in a band again but I dunno, just don't feel it right at the moment.
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2582
    One of the jokes life plays on guitarists is that if you are in a gigging band you inevitably reach a point where the attendant aggravations are sucking all the fun out of it, but if you are not gigging you miss it like hell and become envious of guys who are still doing it. 
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • CountryDaveCountryDave Frets: 842

I've been gigging since I was 16 and I'm 48 in a fortnight.  Never had the inclination to go for the 'big time', just enjoy getting together with a decent bunch of mates and having a knock.

Been through a few bands, some busier than others and played everything from the small pub where only the bar staff were in, through a place with chicken wire in front of the stage (yes really) to a Country festival in Welshpool with several thousand people line dancing in western wear (complete with the obligatory shoot out).   Along the way I've played Rock, metal, 80's pop, very metal, country and am currently enjoying playing in a 50's & 60's rock & roll band.

There have been challenges and situations where a band didn't work out due to conflicting personalities.  If something started to bug me I either sat down and sorted it out or if that wasn't working handed in my resignation (with the proviso I'd cover any gigs until a replacement was found).  Fortunately there have only been a couple of times I've had to walk away from a band.  I can honestly say I still look forward to picking up my guitar and making some noise. 

The current band has a bass player and drummer who are both 70 and they still enjoy the gigs.  I hope to still be playing when I get to their age.

But if I ever felt that the hassles such as loading the gear back into the house at 1am and other associated faff was more trouble than the gig was fun, I'd sit down and consider what to do.  Fortunately I'm still having fun.

Oh and it's cheaper to do a gig than play a round of golf and probably much less frustrating. (I don't golf very often and am not particularly good).