Can't switch input to different track REAPER

I'm really struggling with something in Reaper and hopefully someone can help. 
 As you can see in the pic I have 3 tracks, 1 drum and 2 guitars. I've recorded something on track 2 that I want to play over by using track 3 with a different guitar sound. The problem is that I can't get it to notice any input. I've switched to the track, enabled monitor input but I still get an input on track 2.
 Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?
Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2177
    Track 2 is record armed (the red button is on). Have you tried switching it off and setting record arm on track 3.
    It's not a competition.
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1806
    What @stratman3142 says.

The little red button on the left arms the track you want to record on. Without it switched on nothing will record.

If you disarm track 2 and arm track 3 instead then it should record fine, as long as you have the right input selected. 

Make sure you turn the red button off on the tracks you don't want to record over - it will usually give a pop up to warn you have multiple tracks armed but if it doesn't then you'll record the same guitar part of multiple tracks. 
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    Track 2 is record armed (the red button is on). Have you tried switching it off and setting record arm on track 3.
    Yes, just took the picture as a reference. 

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26451
    Here's something you won't know if you don't read the manual: select track 2, press ctrl + C (copy), then ctrl + V (paste). It'll paste a complete duplicate of the track - settings, recorded media, automation, effects etc. Then just disarm track 2 and delete the media in track 3, and you're good to go.
    <space for hire>
    Have you selected the correct input for your new track then? 

This video series is really useful for finding your way around Reaper. Your answer might be in this video

Right, I've rebooted the PC, done exactly the same as before and there's now a signal. PCs just done a few updates and wouldn't pick up any wifi before this so I'm thinking gremlins 

edited March 2018
    Right, I've rebooted the PC, done exactly the same as before and there's now a signal. PCs just done a few updates and wouldn't pick up any wifi before this so I'm thinking gremlins 
    Stop feeding your pc after midnight then. And keep it away from water... 

Glad it's sorted out. 
    Here's something you won't know if you don't read the manual: select track 2, press ctrl + C (copy), then ctrl + V (paste). It'll paste a complete duplicate of the track - settings, recorded media, automation, effects etc. Then just disarm track 2 and delete the media in track 3, and you're good to go.
    Awesome, thanks. And no I haven't read the manual, I am a bloke after all. flying_pie said:
    Have you selected the correct input for your new track then? 

This video series is really useful for finding your way around Reaper. Your answer might be in this video

Thanks. I've used reaper for jamming more than recording so I think it's time to delve a bit deeper