RIP Stephen Hawking

What's Hot
Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4612
edited March 2018 in Tributes
Absolute legend.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• 77ric77ric Frets: 539
    This brings me more sadness than any celebrity or musicians passing ever has. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Absolute legend. Confounded medical science, exploded the popularity and understanding of physics leading the way for the likes of Brian Cox to continue. 

The best thing is how he's routinely taken the preconceptions of disability and shoved them up people's backsides. 

I also really like that his sense of humor led him to self deprecate in brilliant parodies of himself. 

One final time then for an inappropriate joke that I know he found funny: 

Are we sure he's gone? Has anyone tried doing ctrl/alt/del? ;) 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3419
    Legend indeed. What a brain, what a spirit.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71951
    An astounding man. He demonstrated the power of pure human intelligence and spirit like probably no-one else ever has.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    I bought A Brief History of Time 2nd hand, so I'm the second person not to read that particular copy.

Amazing man, incredibly inspirational. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 77ric77ric Frets: 539
    ICBM said:
    He demonstrated the power of pure human intelligence and spirit like probably no-one else ever has.
    I firmly believe that it was these very things that allowed him to live for 50 years beyond what is the expectation for anyone with that truly awful disease. 
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    I really do feel that humanity has suffered a grievous loss with his passing. One of our brightest, in every sense of the word.

I'd sometimes see him out and about in Cambridge. One time I was behind him at the queue for the Barclays ATM on the market square and I don't think I've ever been so awed in someone's presence before or since.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    edited March 2018
    The word 'genius' is often applied to someone who's good at playing cricket, a five star chef or a rap artist... Hawking was a true genius. Someone who thought differently, studied, rationalised and came up with science which changed the human race's understanding of the solar system. A sad, sad loss.
  • cj73cj73 Frets: 1003
    Died on pi day (American) as well 

what a guy
  • Abso-fucking-lutely gutted. Defied everything life threw at him and redefined humanity. Chapeau Sir.

littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4612
    of course pi is 3/14, 3*14 = 42 the answer to the question about life the universe and everything. 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    A sad day. What an incredible thinker. I also love his cameos in several episodes of The Big Bang Theory, great sense of humour!

useless fact of the day - his sister was my wife's GP when she was a kid.
  • Wasn't he in the Simpsons a few times too?

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5373
    Phenomenal man. He had a cheeky sense of humour too which came across despite the speech synthesis.
    The world/universe will hopefully be a better place for all his work.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    Wasn't he in the Simpsons a few times too?
    Yep, and Star Trek.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3841
     :/ 
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9498
    When I worked in the Physics & Astronomy department of the University of Edinburgh (1990s) he was invited up to open an exhibition on the physics that had been done there over the years. He was supposed to arrive on Friday afternoon but his train was severely delayed. I hung around for a couple of hours but as Friday afternoon turned into Friday evening myself and a few colleagues/PhD students eventually decided to go home. Obviously I’ve regretted it ever since. Ironic, considering that the reason I found myself working in a university Physics department was partly because I’d seen a Horizon programme about cosmolology and black holes featuring him when I was about 13.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11262
    I made a start on "A Brief History Of Time".

Whilst I fully agree with the choice of typeface and his ideas on page and chapter numbering the rest if it could have been in a foriegn language.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12313
    Watched the film on his life last night. What an incredible man, I doubt I’ll see anyone like him again in my lifetime.