The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KickTheHabitKickTheHabit Frets: 93
    edited March 2018
    miserneil said:
    Philly_Q said:
    miserneil said:
    Plukky said:
    Are the headstocks Gibson shaped with no logo per your cherry DC, or do you have your own shape and logo for production guitars?
    The headstocks will be my own shape with my own logo on production guitars, yes.

To be totally honest, it’s still such a new venture, i’m still working on a suitable logo, although I have a few ideas. I might post them up and get the assembled wisdom of the forum... 
    Didn't you do one with an Ivison logo in the style of the Gibson logo, or am I imagining things?
    Not imagining things at all @Philly_Q ;;, I certainly did, I quite like it too, thoughts from the floor?

It was on this all gold Junior I made:

Another option which I think would look great in theory, but which I need to try, is an inlayed coin, a nickel or a dime perhaps?

Personally a move away from the Gibson style logo would be a good thing... I like the coin idea or maybe a seal of some kind a bit like Matt at Monty's does?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3755
    edited March 2018
    Great work, @miserneil. These look mighty tasty. I've always had a little niggle in the back of my mind about a sunburst single cut. Hmmmmmm. Another vote for Ivison in the Gibson font (as long as it doesn't infringe anything). Your name is perfect for it due to the 'on' at the end. Very clever.
  • mikem8634mikem8634 Frets: 378
    As I understand it there is a very real probability that your guitars leave Gibson's choking in the dust, just in terms of attention to detail and quality control alone, not to mention a tonne of other factors. Therefore, in my opinion, you should depart from anything redolent of the Gibson logo just to disassociate yourself from them - they deserve their own distinct identity. Fantastic work.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • john_rjohn_r Frets: 123
    I like the ivison logo however a coin would also look pretty good, worth trying.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    mikem8634 said:
    As I understand it there is a very real probability that your guitars leave Gibson's choking in the dust, just in terms of attention to detail and quality control alone, not to mention a tonne of other factors. Therefore, in my opinion, you should depart from anything redolent of the Gibson logo just to disassociate yourself from them - they deserve their own distinct identity. Fantastic work.
    Many thanks for the kind words @mikem8634 ;

Sooo, i've just done a VERY quick test/mock up....

I think, against the black headstock and set under the lacquer this would look REALLY cool! :)

....and then the custom options would be Dime, Quarter, Penny, 10p or £1....! ;)

I think i'm sold on this....anyone else??
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8773
    You could do different political ranges.  Some with a Euro, some with a pound.  Just sayin' :)
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 2018

miserneil said:

I think, against the black headstock and set under the lacquer this would look REALLY cool!

....and then the custom options would be Dime, Quarter, Penny, 10p or £1....!

Nice. Classy. Would Ivison be on there too? I think it deserves to be.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22515
    miserneil said:
    mikem8634 said:

I think, against the black headstock and set under the lacquer this would look REALLY cool! :)

....and then the custom options would be Dime, Quarter, Penny, 10p or £1....! ;)

Thrupenny Bit?

Or people could maybe provide a coin from their own birth year?

I like it, but I also like the Ivison logo I must say.

• miserneil said:
    mikem8634 said:

Deffo!  
    Love this idea... what about vintage pennies or sixpences etc British craftsmanship with the US heritage..? 
    edited March 2018 tFB Trader
    @Philly_Q  & @KickTheHabit Yes, Yes, Yes! SUPERB Ideas!! Love it!! D
    (formerly miserneil)
    Philly_Q said:

Thrupenny Bit?

Or people could maybe provide a coin from their own birth year?

I like it, but I also like the Ivison logo I must say.

Bingo! Top idea!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3129
    Could you get mock coins pressed with your own logo and year the guitar was built perhaps, combining both ideas?
    tFB Trader
    Could you get mock coins pressed with your own logo and year the guitar was built perhaps, combining both ideas?
    Might be a bit above my means currently but i'll certainly check it out. I kind of liked the idea that the coin might not aways be the same or a birth year thus making it more personal to the player.....but it's another great idea @Teyeplayer! :)
    (formerly miserneil)
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3129
    miserneil said:
    Might be a bit above my means currently but i'll certainly check it out. I kind of liked the idea that the coin might not aways be the same or a birth year thus making it more personal to the player.....but it's another great idea @Teyeplayer! :)
    Weird aside maybe... my sisters a jewellery maker, does some cool stuff with inlaid metal/wood. May not be as traditional as a coin but probably not as expensive either; more than happy to put you in contact with each other. 
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6593
    edited March 2018
    I love the Ivison, but you may end up in trouble. I also really like the WezV headstock inlay on my Earth 2 '52 takes the coin idea somewhere else. 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • nickb_boynickb_boy Frets: 1689
    If you're settling on the coin inlay idea and want to make it more relevant for your guitars there might be another idea to throw in the pot.  A quick eBay search shows for under 99p each you could source a load of coins from 1954-1961 to represent the junior year that model is based on.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • mark_jwedgemark_jwedge Frets: 315
    Neil these look awesome! Soon as things settle down financially after my house move I will be beating your door down for a black single cut with tortie scratch plate (not one for the traditionalists I know but I just love that combination). I love the coin idea and that people could provide their own for birth years etc if they wanted. I think it could work great as a brand identity where as soon as you saw a coin on the head stock you would instantly know it was an Ivison without needing to see a name. 

Would it work having the 'Ivison' name vertically down the face of the head stock or on the truss rod cover?
    miserneil said:
    Weird aside maybe... my sisters a jewellery maker, does some cool stuff with inlaid metal/wood. May not be as traditional as a coin but probably not as expensive either; more than happy to put you in contact with each other. 
    Nice idea - original - artisans in partnership - all good
    merlin said:
    I love the Ivison, but you may end up in trouble. I also really like the WezV headstock inlay on my Earth 2 '52 takes the coin idea somewhere else. 

That is lovely - wows to you and Wez