Jeff Beck - UK dates this Summer 2018 !!! Who's going?

What's Hot
fandangofandango Frets: 2204
edited March 2018 in Music
Jeff Beck touring Europe this summer (June) with only 4 dates in UK - Glasgow, Liverpool, Nottingham and London.

The London venue is open air in Chelsea (not the football club).

Blink and you'll miss the tickets - they're going fast. Only a handful left for Nottingham. But seems a number of good seats left for Liverpool and Chelsea.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4159
    Once again Beck decides to tour and not bother with smaller or more spread out venues . Surely his Bus Pass can stretch to smaller and more intimate places. I bet many of us would pay £100 to see him at somewhere like Warwick Arts or the Stables in Milton Keynes
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10357
    I really fancy it but London is my only viable option .... trouble is  I think a lot of the magic would be lost in an open air gig 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    Who’s in his band for this one? Rhonda Smith? Jonathan Joseph?
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    sweepy said:
    Once again Beck decides to tour and not bother with smaller or more spread out venues . Surely his Bus Pass can stretch to smaller and more intimate places. I bet many of us would pay £100 to see him at somewhere like Warwick Arts or the Stables in Milton Keynes
    My concern when artists (of Jeff Beck's calibre) decide to do the "intimate" venue is pick Ronnie Scott's and not venture outside of London.

At least this time he's doing the Midlands, North West and Scotland. But sadly no Wales (Cardiff?) or Ireland (Dublin?).

I think he knows he's still a big enough star not to have to traipse the smaller venues (e.g Cheltenham Town Hall, Cadogan Hall in Bristol).

I find it great that tickets to see Jeff Beck are a fraction of what it costs to see Joe Bonamassa. They are both great guitarists who have put a lot of work into their craft, yet for me the age thing means there'll be far far fewer opportunities to see Jeff in the future. Unless Joe retires tomorrow. It's a very very rare opportunity to see one of the world's best Rock/Jazz guitarists playing the UK outside of London, and here's hoping Jeff picks a setlist that touches his early playing days.
  • trolleytrolley Frets: 88
    I'm going to Liverpool. Sadly, part of the logic to buying tickets was I've never seen him before, & the opportunities to see him in the future may well be limited. For both of us!
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1808
    edited March 2018
    Seen him 3 times so I might give it a miss this time around - any Beck virgins I guarantee you will be in for a treat, you will also come out of the gig feeling that you might as well give up as he makes everything look so effortless!!

Last time I saw him in Cardiff (St Davids Hall) I'm convinced he was not mic'd up and just had his pair of Marshalls flat out - it sounded like it and it sounded HHUUGEE!!!

Him trading licks with Jan Hammer is something I'll never forget..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    Seen him twice now, I’m going to pass this time too. I feel the same as Danny, sometimes open air gigs really don’t work that well. 
    boogieman said:
    Seen him twice now, I’m going to pass this time too. I feel the same as Danny, sometimes open air gigs really don’t work that well
    Especially if the heavens open and it rains.

welshboyo said:
    Seen him 3 times so I might give it a miss this time around - any Beck virgins I guarantee you will be in for a treat
    Goodie gumdrops!

welshboyo said:
    you will also come out of the gig feeling that you might as well give up as he makes everything look so effortless!!

Give up? No way ... I'm going for some inspiration - even if he does have a fairly unique way of playing.
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2602
    edited March 2018 tFB Trader

I saw Jeff when he played with Clapton several years back.. The thing is I went to see Eric, I knew who Jeff was but hadn't really gotten in to him at that point..  Lets just say I was blown away and left the gig a HUGE Jeff Beck fan.. While Erics solo bit of the gig was less inspiring.

Watching him play is just mesmerising.

One of the best bits of course was the end section where they came on and did some tunes together 

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14034
    tFB Trader
    thanks for that - might try and see him at Notts
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2331
    Last time I saw him was at Ronnie Scott's, I decided to quit after that...it could get no better. He was captivating, so much so that I didn't notice till nearly the end that I was sat surrounded by a plethora of ROCK gods who themselves were lapping it up. 
    If you haven't caught him live before, do yourself a favour before he retires to play with his cars.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15925
    This will be my 2nd time  :)
    tae be or not tae be
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15925
    Who's in his band this time?
    tae be or not tae be
    hootsmon said:
    Paul Rodgers looks like he's the support act to JB. Rodgers' website rudely ignores a double-header with JB ("Stars Align" Tour) and mentions nothing about vocals for Jeff's band (or even giving much credit to JB period). Rodgers hasn't listed any European dates that match with JB's schedule.

I can't (yet) find details of the musicians involved. Those musicians who featured on his most recent album Loud Hailer, don't appear to have anything listed with JB for this Summer. Tal Wilkenfeld? Nothing giving on her website either.

Maybe someone else with a bit more inside information can reveal all.
    fandango said:
    hootsmon said:
    Paul Rodgers looks like he's the support act to JB. Rodgers' website rudely ignores a double-header with JB ("Stars Align" Tour) and mentions nothing about vocals for Jeff's band (or even giving much credit to JB period). Rodgers hasn't listed any European dates that match with JB's schedule.

I like Paul Rodgers’ voice but the more I hear and read about him, the more he seems like a complete prick. 

Can’t offer any info on JB’s band. He always has top class musicians with him though. 
  • SchmoSchmo Frets: 168
    Love JB, but prefer when he's the only guitarist...so I've passed on seeing him last number of years and will again this year. Also don't like his forays into technology...keep it simple Jeff & just play as only you can.
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1756
    yeah Paul Rodgers was pound for pound one of the UK's best rock singers but that ability in later life has made him a snobby diva type who looks down on lesser mortals or these days tend to interpret a song from a snooty artist perspective like him on a track to listen to but watching him is cringing.
    yeah Paul Rodgers was pound for pound one of the UK's best rock singers but that ability in later life has made him a snobby diva type who looks down on lesser mortals or these days tend to interpret a song from a snooty artist perspective like him on a track to listen to but watching him is cringing.
    Not only in later life unfortunately. I read Andy Fraser’s autobiog and Paul Rodgers seems to have been an arrogant prick for most of his life. I realise these things are always subjective and we’re only hearing one side of it, but apparently Rodgers always had a god complex. No doubt he’s one of the greats in terms of his voice though. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14034
    tFB Trader
    Strat54 said:
    Last time I saw him was at Ronnie Scott's, I decided to quit after that...it could get no better. He was captivating, so much so that I didn't notice till nearly the end that I was sat surrounded by a plethora of ROCK gods who themselves were lapping it up. 
    If you haven't caught him live before, do yourself a favour before he retires to play with his cars.
    One of the greatest live performances I've seen -albeit on DVD - So jealous you made it and I didn't but glad I've caught some of it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3049
    I've seen him twice. The first time we were right down the front.. close enough to see how he plays. It was like getting a lesson almost.. deliberately playing something a semitone flat then bending/wanging it into tune. He's easily the best guitarist I've seen.. It's like a different instrument in his hands. 

If you can go... go. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"